Clearance of truck bed with 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Clearance of truck bed with 5.0TA

We've test driven most of the trucks out there (brand-wise). Now comes the tough part - narrowing it down and figuring out options and what not. Oh joy!

Anyway, I think I read somewhere on this forum that you should not have anything higher than the bed of the truck when towing the 5.0TA. Does it have to be at the exact height of the bed, or can it be a few inches above? I know you don't want to scrape the bottom of the loft area of the trailer, but I was wondering how much clearance there is.

Also, when stashing stuff in the bed of the truck, I'm assuming everything has to stay off the sides of the trailer hitch unit so there won't be any interference with it. How do you stash your stuff in the bed of the truck to keep it away from the hitch? Strap everything down to the sides of the bed?

One of the uses of the truck and trailer will be for vending at craft shows out of the area. I'll have some wire grid panels that are 2' wide and 5' long (plus a few more inches for the attached base). As well as folding 6' plastic tables, a folding dolly/handcart, plus numerous storage bins of inventory. I hope to stash most of the inventory bins inside of the truck, but we're trying to figure out the panels and tables. We've thought about strapping them to the back of the trailer, such as one of those flat thingies used for storage, or to a bike rack. Haven't thought out the details on that idea (yet).

Thanks
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wouldn't a 21' Escape be easier and just get a cap for your truck bed? If you want dual purpose, that set up is a lot better than the 5.0 and trying to haul stuff for your shows in the trailer and open bed.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wouldn't a 21' Escape be easier and just get a cap for your truck bed? If you want dual purpose, that set up is a lot better than the 5.0 and trying to haul stuff for your shows in the trailer and open bed.
We've thought of that too, but we really like the layout of the 5.0TA better than the 21' for various reasons.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
We've test driven most of the trucks out there (brand-wise). Now comes the tough part - narrowing it down and figuring out options and what not. Oh joy!

Anyway, I think I read somewhere on this forum that you should not have anything higher than the bed of the truck when towing the 5.0TA. Does it have to be at the exact height of the bed, or can it be a few inches above? I know you don't want to scrape the bottom of the loft area of the trailer, but I was wondering how much clearance there is.

Also, when stashing stuff in the bed of the truck, I'm assuming everything has to stay off the sides of the trailer hitch unit so there won't be any interference with it. How do you stash your stuff in the bed of the truck to keep it away from the hitch? Strap everything down to the sides of the bed?

One of the uses of the truck and trailer will be for vending at craft shows out of the area. I'll have some wire grid panels that are 2' wide and 5' long (plus a few more inches for the attached base). As well as folding 6' plastic tables, a folding dolly/handcart, plus numerous storage bins of inventory. I hope to stash most of the inventory bins inside of the truck, but we're trying to figure out the panels and tables. We've thought about strapping them to the back of the trailer, such as one of those flat thingies used for storage, or to a bike rack. Haven't thought out the details on that idea (yet).

Thanks
Hi: NW Cat Owner... The 5.0TA needs to be set up for your truck. For us it needed to be set low as our hitch plate height was 46" from the ground. The next measurement of concern was 49" to the top of the box rails from the ground.
The only interference I'm aware of is swing room for the 7 pin cord and breakaway switch wire. Our connections are in the box. You would really notice it... if they become snagged/disconnected!!!
On long duration trips we use Totes in the box that are near as deep as the truck box and make sure they are secured somehow!!!
We also carry a folding table and some side tables ahead of the hitch, and some times folding chairs too. The tonneau cover stays on and when unhooked we cover the hitch.
A deeper box truck needs the trailer suspension lifted and when required Reace will contact you for the measurements. At ETI Dennis lowered our hitch head by one set of bolt holes to level the tow...PERFECT.
Here's a pic or two of our available spacing.!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg   P1020903.jpg   Ready to get hitched.jpg   P1030644.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was just thinking this too, Jim. Either the 21 or the 19 would give you an entire truck bed to use, and both are great units.

I know in thinking about the 5.0 myself, finding ways to carry things definitely becomes more of a challenge. Gone is the nice interior storage of an SUV, canoe cartage becomes more of an issue, and no potential for a front storage box if you wanted one. There are it's pluses though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #6

Thanks Alf, those pictures, esp of the truck bed, are exactly what I needed to see.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
When we picked up our 5.0 TA last September and hauled it back to Alaska we had a bed headboard, foot board and two large rubber maid action packers in front of the hitch, bed frames alongside and two action packers between the hitch and tailgate.

The action packers did the job but I wanted something that was more secure, for the generator, tools, raft gear and miscellaneous items that I did not want to store in the trailer. I installed a cross bed tool box that was 3 or so inches above the rails, I loved it! Now I had secure, weatherproof storage. No more messing with action packers, strapping them down, trying to access them with the trailer hooked up.

Only now, I cannot see the hitch plate in the bed because the toolbox blocks my view. A quick trip to Amazon and a I ball wireless camera is delivered. Now all I have to do is stick the camera on the cab, plug in the monitor and I'm in business. Now I am starting to miss my action packers. I really try to keep things simple, but now I have to get out, stick a camera on the back of the truck, look a really small screen and hitch up. This is not keeping it simple.

Went to Home Depot and purchased a below the bed tool box. Now I have dry, secure storage and I can once again see my hitch plate without having to use a camera. Plenty of room for raft bag, paddles, rowing frame.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Went to Home Depot and purchased a below the bed tool box. Now I have dry, secure storage and I can once again see my hitch plate without having to use a camera. Plenty of room for raft bag, paddles, rowing frame.
Any photos of your setup, all loaded?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Not at home at the moment, just installed the new box yesterday. We use a Aire Traveler for river trips. For the larger lakes we have a rowing frame that fits in the truck bed, with the hitch in the middle. Have to have the trailer unhooked to load, unload the frame. The inflatable fits in a small PVC raft storage bag that fits alongside the hitch. Oars or paddle depending on use are under the raft bag so they don't blow out.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Not at home at the moment, just installed the new box yesterday. We use a Aire Traveler for river trips. For the larger lakes we have a rowing frame that fits in the truck bed, with the hitch in the middle. Have to have the trailer unhooked to load, unload the frame. The inflatable fits in a small PVC raft storage bag that fits alongside the hitch. Oars or paddle depending on use are under the raft bag so they don't blow out.
I started another thread on inflatable boats, but would love to see photos of your truck bed loaded yet, though in no big hurry at all.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post109648
Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
(snip)Went to Home Depot and purchased a below the bed tool box. Now I have dry, secure storage and I can once again see my hitch plate without having to use a camera. Plenty of room for raft bag, paddles, rowing frame.
What are you towing with? And the length of the bed? Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #12

Dodge 1 ton Turbo diesel with 6'5" bed, extended cab. (Overkill I know, but it's low miles and paid for).
Old 09-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
With the 8' bed I have about 4' of floor space between the hitch and the cab, the trailer sits from 6-8" above the sides of the bed. I agree with Alf, the only concern about something getting in the way of the hitch is the cables. Mine are also in the bed, in the lower drivers side rear corner. A quick measurement shows 22" from the bed to the top of the sides (not including the hitch rails), you'd have room for 8' x 2' tables in my truck along side the hitch, maybe 2'6" wide too. I imagine the 6' tables would work in the 6 1/2' bed too, at least in the Ford.

Even with the tri-fold Tonneau cover you can't see the hitch, but it's not a big deal if you mark the cover and the pin box with alignment marks of some sort.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: padlin... Up here in the "Rust belt" of Ontario I have my vehicles undercoated by Krown. I asked for a sticker and they said we don't put them on anymore. I still got one and placed it in the lower center of the rear window. Takes perfect aim at the pin from the drivers seat!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140601_083739.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote