Colorado\Canyon Towing 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
I
Looking forward to the weight distribution and sway control hitch.
Love my WDH for the oft stated reasons but I've towed a long way over every imaginable condition and never felt any need for sway control with my smaller than your truck Ranger.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
I've got the 2015 Colorado, 305hp and 245 torque. I'm picking up a 19 in the spring and hoping for good performance. HP probably doesn't mean much but acceleration is great with this engine. I hauled 3000lb through the mountains with no issues other than gas mileage so the torque was good for that load. Looking forward to the weight distribution and sway control hitch.
I have been driving my Canyon Duramax for a few weeks and loving it...but nothing to tow yet. That is to happen next June with an Escape 19.

Which hitch arrangement are you looking at?

And, I also have been looking at towing mirrors. A neighbour has Cipa mirrors and likes them as they fit over his 150 mirrors like gloves and do not vibrate. The company does not list recent Canyons / Colorados on the website however.

JPS

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Colorado\Canyon Towing 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by john o View Post
I have completed the hitch arrangement on the Canyon Duramax and 5.0 and had the rig out for a spin. Everything working well. I will put photos of my hitch installation in my photos when time permits. No scheduled trips yet. Have an appointment to inspect the 5.0 next week then off to the DMV for registration and license.

Looking forward to seeing your setup! I have a lot of questions!

Last year I got 15.4mpg towing 3600 miles with my '15 collie. This year I'm getting 16.1 towing over 2200 miles so far. I think getting the trailer bearings and brakes serviced has helped with this.

I have an equalizer hitch, but I had a somewhat scary moment towing through some very rough crosswinds that made me wish I had sway control. I was traveling with nearly a full water tank, and when a strong gust hit the trailer it caused me to swerve, creating a side-to-side rocking motion from the sloshing water. For a few seconds it felt pretty unstable.

Ill ignore the "vanilla" Colorado comment. [emoji6]

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
I have been driving my Canyon Duramax for a few weeks and loving it...but nothing to tow yet. That is to happen next June with an Escape 19.
And, I also have been looking at towing mirrors. A neighbour has Cipa mirrors and likes them as they fit over his 150 mirrors like gloves and do not vibrate. The company does not list recent Canyons / Colorados on the website however.
It's disappointing that a pickup truck from a company that offers extendable towing mirrors on its other trucks doesn't offer any for this truck. A thousand other features, including completely frivolous luxuries, but no functional towing mirrors.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #25

Brian B-P

I have to agree about the absent option for towing mirrors but efficient aftermarket products are/could/should (?!) be out there..somewhere for these vehicles!

I really like the lane change alarm (the noisy one, I passed on the seat vibration version).

Old 07-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's disappointing that a pickup truck from a company that offers extendable towing mirrors on its other trucks doesn't offer any for this truck. A thousand other features, including completely frivolous luxuries, but no functional towing mirrors.
I agree. With the Tacoma you also have to go aftermarket.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Especially the diesel version which is made for towing. Just nuts.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
For me, it was a must when sourcing my F-150. I am just used to towing with them on my Super Duty trucks, and when I test drove one with the regular mirrors, I felt it a definite safety hazard with the very poor rear visibility.

The make so many things better. Your rear view capacity is fantastic, and when towing having them extend is great. For reversing you also get a really great view of where you are going, from the trailer tires, to a view of space well to the sides.

As you can likely tell, I would highly recommend getting them if available. I too am surprised these trucks don't offer them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:

There is an Australian company, Clearview, that makes towing mirrors for the Holden Colorado, but it appears they are not compatible with the American Twin. Last I checked they are working on a version for the US market. They are not cheap either...

Tow Mirrors

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
There is an Australian company, Clearview, that makes towing mirrors for the Holden Colorado, but it appears they are not compatible with the American Twin. Last I checked they are working on a version for the US market. They are not cheap either...

Tow Mirrors

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t
Someone must have a solution somewhere. Luckily, I have a lot of time to sort it out.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
Someone must have a solution somewhere. Luckily, I have a lot of time to sort it out.
Hi: JPSpins... I had to buy mine here. http://www.1aauto.com Aftermarket plug and play extendable tow mirrors for a 2010 Nissan Frontier. The truck is capable of towing 6100 Lbs. but just not with trailer tow mirrors!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Tow Mirrors - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

Good info.
Wow - a 17-page thread on towing mirrors... obviously we're not the only one who noticed GM's omission.

By page 6 the Australian supplier is confirming that they have sent several sets to the U.S. for the North American Colorado/Canyon, appropriately configured for a driver on the left-hand side of the vehicle (always a potential issue with Australian products). By mid-March the only delay was a wiring harness to avoid custom wiring (for electric adjust, turn signals, and heated mirror). By April they had realized that to fit well they needed to make new bases as well (which took until May)... not surprising to me, because GM changed a lot of the truck's styling to make it more marketable in North America. Looks like they're coming soon.

It would have been so much easier for GM to have just finished the truck themselves, instead of quitting before getting around to towing mirrors.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #33

Thank you!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA on order. Tug 2016 Colorado Duramax
Hey John, I have a 5.0 TA on order and also trading in my 2011 Canyon for the 2016 with the Duramax. I want the short bed model. Will there be an issue? Also any advise on the type of fifth wheel hitch.

Thanks
Rockseaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockseaker View Post
Hey John, I have a 5.0 TA on order and also trading in my 2011 Canyon for the 2016 with the Duramax. I want the short bed model. Will there be an issue?
John (john o) has a 5.0, which is 8 inches (20 cm) narrower than a first-generation (2014-2016) 5.0TA; the second-generation (2017) 5.0TA may be even wider. The width at the front determines the cab-to-hitch spacing required, so you will need more than John, and that means that with the shorter Canyon box, the hitch will be substantially behind the axle. How set are you on the shorter box?

John described his hitch setup in his introduction thread: New members in Maryland and showed it in his album Canyon short bed and 5.0 classic rig.

Quote:
Also any advise on the type of fifth wheel hitch.
The only real connection between the type (or brand) of hitch and the truck is the availability of mounting brackets. If you go with the cross-bed "universal" mounting rails (as John did) almost any brand and style of hitch can be mounted. There's not much choice in mounting bracket kits for the new Colorado/Canyon yet.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hey John, I have a 5.0 TA on order and also trading in my 2011 Canyon for the 2016 with the Duramax. I want the short bed model. Will there be an issue? Also any advise on the type of fifth wheel hitch.

Thanks
Hi: Rockseaker... We don't have either of the Col/Can. twins but we do have a Long Bed Crew Cab Frontier. IMHO it is better to have the long bed/wheel base truck.(Less issues) Our hitch is installed with universal brackets and rails so the truck frame didn't require any extra drilling. I would strongly recommend, with the smaller truck, getting the long bed model. There is always a pin box extender that clamps on the trailer for use on short box trucks. That gives about 8-10" extra distance between the trailer and truck.
We have towed both 5.0 and 5.0TA trailers with our current slider style hitch set up... which we don't need to slide!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020904.jpg   P1040200.jpg   P1040126.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #37

Thanks guys for your reply. I got a ways to go yet but with the support of this forum I think it will all come together. Also I am pretty fixed on the short box. Thinking the extender will do the trick. More question to follow.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Rockseeker: After my late arrival to field your questions, I'm not sure what is still to answer if anything. I am going to finish putting installation photos in my folder so that those who want to duplicate the install of the universal rail kit can use me as a starting point. Want to mention that we have the hitch in the lowest position. The 5.0 is in the second-to-lowest position and we have the RV5 installed. We run fairly level. I think that I have plenty of turning room but certainly not 90 degree ability. The hitch center turns out 27 inches from the cab, not the recommended 30 inches.

Quote:

Thanks
john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #39

Canyon, 5.0 TA 5th wheel hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by john o View Post
Rockseeker: After my late arrival to field your questions, I'm not sure what is still to answer if anything. I am going to finish putting installation photos in my folder so that those who want to duplicate the install of the universal rail kit can use me as a starting point. Want to mention that we have the hitch in the lowest position. The 5.0 is in the second-to-lowest position and we have the RV5 installed. We run fairly level. I think that I have plenty of turning room but certainly not 90 degree ability. The hitch center turns out 27 inches from the cab, not the recommended 30 inches.
Thanks, Your photos and info were helpful. The TA will be 8 inches wider so I will need to move back even further. I will contact ETI to ask what their recommendations are as well. Also have to find out if the pin box extender can be used without effecting the trailer hitch mount integrity. Looks like a slider may be needed( hoping not though, just one more thing to deal with)
Old 08-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
On my three trips out so far, I am OK with the reach of the stock mirrors. The classic 5.0 is probably narrower that the current line-up though.

John
john o is offline   Reply With Quote