Colorado\Canyon Towing 21 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #81

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I was hoping to make it clear that it's not a 'jake brake' form of exhaust braking, in which exhaust valves are opened/closed. It's not that noisy, which is a good thing :-)
I agree that's an important distinction. A 'jake brake' (or Jacobs brake) is a compression-release braking system, and shouldn't be called an exhaust brake... but people do.

None of the pickup truck engines have a compression-release brake... fortunately!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
I have a 2016 Canyon diesel, 4WD longbox crewcab, and a 2006 25B17.5 Bigfoot (OK, not an Escape, but at least molded fiberglass :-) ). Like all 2500 series Bigfoots, our trailer is no lightweight. I haven't weighed it, but I'd guess 3800lbs dry based on similar trailers that have been weighed. The tanks are usually at least partly full when towing, as we frequently remote camp. The Bigfoot is a full 8' wide, which I believe is comparable to the largest Escapes, and is raised 4" for back road use. So, it has a fair bit of frontal area. We have an Equalizer hitch, transferred from our previous tug, a 2013 Ram 1500 quadcab.

We just returned from a trip from Nova Scotia to northern B.C. and back, totalling 16,000km of towing. Three adults (totalling 450lb) and one 60lb lab on board. We carried a couple hundred pounds of upright bicycles and luggage in the box. The truck has ~1400lb payload capacity (not including driver), giving sufficient leeway for the Bigfoot's tongue weight.
Thanks, Lawrence. Excellent review. I am sure now that this is the right choice for me. Heading to the dealership this evening to close the deal.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #83

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
As far as service, just about any truck stop will have diesel mechanics, my Jeep Liberty CRD was fixed at one to allow me to make it home, another 500 miles, where my dealer then replaced the hose used with a factory hose.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
I cannot find info on using the diesel brake in my manual. By how much does the vehicle slow down when you tap the brake? Does the computer adjust things based on what it feels is adequate speed? Or what?
The exhaust brake has a section (page 46) in the diesel supplement, not the main owner's manual. That supplement covers both the Colorado/Canyon Duramax 2.8 and the completely unrelated engine in the Silverado/Sierra Duramax, so only the "4-cylinder pickup" parts are relevant.

Among other things, the supplement notes:
Quote:
Use of the exhaust brake will help maintain vehicle speed when used with cruise control.
This is what I would expect: if you have cruise control set, the exhaust brake (if activated by using tow/haul mode) will be controlled to hold the truck's speed at that setting.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
As far as service, just about any truck stop will have diesel mechanics...
Sure, but for most parts (even of the engine) it doesn't matter whether it is gas or diesel... and even the most experienced Cummins heavy truck diesel mechanic won't have any Duramax 2.8 parts in stock.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #86

Wow. Just did it. Ordered my new tow vehicle for our 2017 21. A silver GMC Canyon with the diesel engine.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sure, but for most parts (even of the engine) it doesn't matter whether it is gas or diesel... and even the most experienced Cummins heavy truck diesel mechanic won't have any Duramax 2.8 parts in stock.
Most of the dealers probably don't either, but usually get them in one day.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Most of the dealers probably don't either, but usually get them in one day.
That's my experience with Toyota and Mazda, too: there are so many parts to a modern vehicle that there is no way to stock them all (although in a reasonable world routine maintenance items such as oil filters would always be in stock), but after a working day or two and they appear from the regional warehouse.

General diesel repair shops don't seem like they would be much good for the Colorado/Canyon owner, because they would be going to GM dealers to order parts, just like a customer who goes directly to the GM dealer for service.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Wow. Just did it. Ordered my new tow vehicle for our 2017 21. A silver GMC Canyon with the diesel engine.
Congratulations, I just got back from the dealership looking at the Canyon and I really like what I saw. I’m 6’2” and had plenty of headroom and legroom in the cabin. Even though we are not replacing the old Dodge anytime soon, I am going to be keeping a eye on this truck.

Hopefully there will be a beta tester in the next year or so towing a 5.0 TA. (It might even be me if I can convince the better half that we don’t need a BMW X3 to replace the Fyundai Santa Fe when it dies). Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #90

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
General diesel repair shops don't seem like they would be much good for the Colorado/Canyon owner, because they would be going to GM dealers to order parts, just like a customer who goes directly to the GM dealer for service.

My point about the truck stop mechanic was of course they did not have any parts for a CRD Liberty, but they managed to make a substitute turbo intake hose out of spare parts. They were able to diagnose the issue and make a temporary fix that got me home 500 miles later. My point being a diesel mechanic can work on just about any diesel. On the other hand when I went to a gas station before the truck stop, they said they could not help me.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #91

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Good looking mid-size truck.

I want to take one out on a test drive but the better half said “No”. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Congratulations on your test drive
Now if you can just get that hook out you can relax
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Congratulations on your test drive
Now if you can just get that hook out you can relax
Must resist... have not had a car payment since 2005. Scott

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #93

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The exhaust brake has a section (page 46) in the diesel supplement, not the main owner's manual. That supplement covers both the Colorado/Canyon Duramax 2.8 and the completely unrelated engine in the Silverado/Sierra Duramax, so only the "4-cylinder pickup" parts are relevant.

Among other things, the supplement notes:

This is what I would expect: if you have cruise control set, the exhaust brake (if activated by using tow/haul mode) will be controlled to hold the truck's speed at that setting.
On the Canyon diesel the tow-haul and diesel exhaust are one and the same button...package deal.
I'm curious about what Lawrence is referring to when he taps the brakes.
If GM would invest as much effort explaining this in one place as they do explaining how to check the oil, I would be happy!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
On the Canyon diesel the tow-haul and diesel exhaust are one and the same button...package deal.
I'm curious about what Lawrence is referring to when he taps the brakes.
If GM would invest as much effort explaining this in one place as they do explaining how to check the oil, I would be happy!
Found this on GMC Canyon information page.

"Smart exhaust brake details
The Canyon’s integrated, driver-selectable exhaust brake system is based on the system introduced on the 2015 Sierra HD models and uses the compression power of the 2.8L Duramax engine to improve vehicle control and reduce brake pad wear.

When the exhaust brake is engaged in cruise mode, exhaust cruise grade braking helps the cruise control system maintain the desired downhill vehicle speed, keeping the driver from having to apply the brakes and exit cruise control to maintain speed.

When the exhaust brake is engaged in non-cruise mode, the transmission and the exhaust brake deliver the correct amount of braking to assist in vehicle control, regardless of vehicle load. It is a smart system that varies the amount of braking needed for the vehicle, load and grade. The engagement of the system is smooth and quiet, while its performance enhances the driver’s feeling of control."

Much clearer than the manuals.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #95

Trailer: Bigfoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I think you'll love it! I hope it comes soon.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #96

Quote:
I think you'll love it! I hope it comes soon.
I'm hoping for the end of September. The dealership said they won't know for a few days.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
We brought home our 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel (short bed, crew cab) about two months ago and yesterday ordered a 21' Escape. So far we love it! It tows a somewhat heavy cargo trailer (2700lbs) that my husband uses for his art shows, around town like it's not even there, with just the smallest drop in mileage (Getting 24 miles per gallon towing) I was real nervous driving a truck, but it handles and drives as well as our Honda CR-V (except that it's 33 inches longer :-) We did not buy towing mirrors for it yet since our cargo trailer is only 5' wide, but definitely will before we get our Escape. We just installed a tonneau cover for it that works great. Keeps the truck bed dry, opens and closes easily, locks securely and can be almost completely removed for full access to the truck bed. It is only sold online, and reasonably priced. Peragon Covers. Here's a link to it if interested https://www.peragon.com/videos/?gcli...FQyOaQodel0PEg
Nrgtic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #98

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
We brought home our 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel (short bed, crew cab) about two months ago and yesterday ordered a 21' Escape. So far we love it! It tows a somewhat heavy cargo trailer (2700lbs) that my husband uses for his art shows, around town like it's not even there, with just the smallest drop in mileage (Getting 24 miles per gallon towing) I was real nervous driving a truck, but it handles and drives as well as our Honda CR-V (except that it's 33 inches longer :-) We did not buy towing mirrors for it yet since our cargo trailer is only 5' wide, but definitely will before we get our Escape. We just installed a tonneau cover for it that works great. Keeps the truck bed dry, opens and closes easily, locks securely and can be almost completely removed for full access to the truck bed. It is only sold online, and reasonably priced. Peragon Covers. Here's a link to it if interested https://www.peragon.com/videos/?gcli...FQyOaQodel0PEg

Did you get yours color matched? I have the same tonneau cover on my '15 Collie. I like it, but the installation was a pain. It took me a while to appreciate the push down action to collapse it. Really makes getting into the cargo a snap. But watch out if it's been sitting in the sun for too long!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #99

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Did you get yours color matched? I have the same tonneau cover on my '15 Collie. I like it, but the installation was a pain. It took me a while to appreciate the push down action to collapse it. Really makes getting into the cargo a snap. But watch out if it's been sitting in the sun for too long!
No need to since black is standard and my new truck is black :-)
Nrgtic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #100

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Several people have made comments or expressed concerns about towing mirrors for the Colorado/Canyon, and the Clearview mirrors out of Australia have been mentioned. Right now, if you want proper towing mirrors for these trucks, this looks like your only choice. I have no idea if or when GM will provide this option, but since they are clearly marketing these vehicles as a lifestyle choice rather than a work truck, I'm not holding my breath. Here is an update on the mirrors.

Clearview will start shipping the mirrors on August 24 at a price of US$435 per pair plus $174 shipping cost to at least most places in the US lower 48 states. Not sure what the deal would be for Canadian customers since their price quote is in US$ and they are asking to be paid in US$ and who knows about shipping. These look like a pretty solid product, and Clearview has good reviews in Australia. I've ordered a pair, and with any luck they'll be here about the same time my new truck arrives, but I won't be reporting on towing with them until we pick up our 21 in March.

There's lots more information here: Tow Mirrors - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon if you want to wade through it all (this thread is 275 posts at last count). I've attached a few photos lifted from that thread for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
p_clearview_mirrors01.jpg   p_clearview_mirrors02.jpg   p_clearview_mirrors03.jpg   p_clearview_mirrors04.jpg  

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote