Colorado\Canyon Towing 21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by john o View Post
On my three trips out so far, I am OK with the reach of the stock mirrors. The classic 5.0 is probably narrower that the current line-up though.
Yes, the 5.0 is 8 inches narrower at the widest point than the current 5.0TA.

The current Colorado/Canyon specs include a width of 74.3 inches (1886 mm). Assuming that's the body width, mirrors would need to project more than 7 inches beyond the widest part of the body, plus the width of usable mirror area, to see straight past the 88 inch wide 5.0TA (and see nothing behind it, no matter how far back). Stock mirrors won't likely reach that far.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
We have a 21 coming next March and just ordered a Canyon diesel for our tow vehicle. One of the decision factors for the Canyon was the prospective availability of the Clearview towing mirrors given that I have something of a fetish about seeing what's happening behind me while driving and given that Brian is quite correct about the inadequacy of the OEM mirrors. It looks as though the mirrors will be available soon - maybe this month - and I will be ordering a set once they are available. I expect this combination will provide a comfortable towing experience (if not, SO will no doubt have something to say about the $40K we just spent). It will be a while, but I'll post results after we pick up the trailer and bring it the 1500 or so miles from Chilliwack.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
We have a 21 coming next March and just ordered a Canyon diesel for our tow vehicle. One of the decision factors for the Canyon was the prospective availability of the Clearview towing mirrors given that I have something of a fetish about seeing what's happening behind me while driving and given that Brian is quite correct about the inadequacy of the OEM mirrors. It looks as though the mirrors will be available soon - maybe this month - and I will be ordering a set once they are available. I expect this combination will provide a comfortable towing experience (if not, SO will no doubt have something to say about the $40K we just spent). It will be a while, but I'll post results after we pick up the trailer and bring it the 1500 or so miles from Chilliwack.
Stan, are the 2017 Canyons available for order now? I have been patiently waiting for that to happen.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Price was right so we ordered a 2016. According to the dealer, this is the last week he could order a 2016. Maybe should have waited, but as I said, the price was right (for the diesel) and reports I read say there will be few if any changes for 2017 - maybe a tarted up Denali trim for the Canyon, and no changes at all for the Colorado.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Price was right so we ordered a 2016. According to the dealer, this is the last week he could order a 2016. Maybe should have waited, but as I said, the price was right (for the diesel) and reports I read say there will be few if any changes for 2017 - maybe a tarted up Denali trim for the Canyon, and no changes at all for the Colorado.
Ok, thanks.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA on order. Tug 2016 Colorado Duramax
Good info regarding the tow mirrors. I will need a set for sure. As you said the 2016 Canyons can't be ordered anymore for us in Canada either. I am waiting till the 2017's are available for order since I have a liking for the Diesel in the Orange! and my trailer will not be ready till Aug 2017 I would appreciate any info on 5th wheel hitch set-up from anyone with Canyon/Colorado and or the 5.0

"No Sweat"
Rockseaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Hi Stan,
It's hard to believe that mirrors have to be ordered from Australia. Hopefully someone will come up with relatively local solution. As for the Canyon Duramax, it is a pleasure to drive and I am concerned that my Mustang convertible is feeling left out! JP

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
Hi Stan,
It's hard to believe that mirrors have to be ordered from Australia. Hopefully someone will come up with relatively local solution. As for the Canyon Duramax, it is a pleasure to drive and I am concerned that my Mustang convertible is feeling left out! JP
Hi: JPSpins... It was a pleasure to meet you and redtaco99 in Orleans. I too found it some what odd that a truck maker would tout the tow ability of a truck yet not offer tow mirrors. My Frontier was the same but I sourced a parts co. in the US while in Florida and installed them there!!! I'm sure 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online 1aauto will source mirrors for the Colo/Can. twins soon. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Quote:
Hi Stan,
Stan, our convertible is suffering too! The Canyon Duramax drives like a sports car. Body roll is minimal and, well, acceleration is nonexistent. Well, that is until the turbo kicks in. I have to learn how not to burn rubber...

John
john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #50

Quote:
Stan, our convertible is suffering too! The Canyon Duramax drives like a sports car. Body roll is minimal and, well, acceleration is nonexistent. Well, that is until the turbo kicks in. I have to learn how not to burn rubber...

John
And it purrs on the highway just sipping fuel. There was a growing rattle coming from under the driver side dashboard resolved by the dealer. It was the battery bracket coming loose where it is fastened on the wheel well. Well, that is what I understood. Took close to 24 hours to find and fix.
JP

Old 08-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: JPSpins... It was a pleasure to meet you and redtaco99 in Orleans. I too found it some what odd that a truck maker would tout the tow ability of a truck yet not offer tow mirrors. My Frontier was the same but I sourced a parts co. in the US while in Florida and installed them there!!! I'm sure 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online 1aauto will source mirrors for the Colo/Can. twins soon. Alf
It was great meeting you as well! Perhaps these trucks were essentially developed for the commercial sector with narrower working trailers. After much research and many test drives, I abandoned the idea of finding a SUV capable of towing a 4000 lb trailer within my safety parameters of 6000+. Now, if GM could drop that diesel into something like the (previous) Acadia...well, that would be something! With proper mirrors or course.
Jean-Pierre

Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
I'll be following you guys on how the diesel Canyon tows a 5.0. I'm a little concerned that it might be too light, but now there are a couple of real world Escape owners I'll be interested to see what y'all think. I'll be in the market next year for a new tow rig, the current 05 Dodge Cummins has no problems, but I'm looking hard at the Titan Cummins and this new smaller diesel Chev/GMC.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
I'll be following you guys on how the diesel Canyon tows a 5.0. I'm a little concerned that it might be too light, but now there are a couple of real world Escape owners I'll be interested to see what y'all think. I'll be in the market next year for a new tow rig, the current 05 Dodge Cummins has no problems, but I'm looking hard at the Titan Cummins and this new smaller diesel Chev/GMC.
Hi: Tford... Had a ride in a new Canyon diesel. Nice and pricey. Lots of torque/tug, and very comfortable... but then I don't like full sized trucks. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #54

Quote:
... acceleration is nonexistent. Well, that is until the turbo kicks in.
"Turbo lag" - the delay from pushing the pedal to boost building up and power coming on - is mostly a problem of the past, although it might be more of a problem in a highly-boosted diesel than a typical turbo gasoline engine. Does it really have that much turbo lag, or is the power boost from the automatic transmission downshifting?

Now I want to test-drive one out of curiosity, but I can't look a sales rep in the eye and say that I am seriously considering buying - I'm just not in the market for a truck.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"Turbo lag" - the delay from pushing the pedal to boost building up and power coming on - is mostly a problem of the past, although it might be more of a problem in a highly-boosted diesel than a typical turbo gasoline engine. Does it really have that much turbo lag, or is the power boost from the automatic transmission downshifting?

Now I want to test-drive one out of curiosity, but I can't look a sales rep in the eye and say that I am seriously considering buying - I'm just not in the market for a truck.
You really don't have to tell them anything except you want to try it out. I found that a lot of sales reps were less than truthful or knowledgeable with their brands (I had done my homework). I would make up little scenarios about my needs, mixing fact and fiction to see what they came up with. This helped with finding the right vehicle and dealer.

I am easy on the pedal and this is my first turbo so I really cannot comment on lag but once rolling it will go when asked to. Definitely not a Mustang!

Old 08-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Good looking mid-size truck. I’m kind of curious about how the diesel long bed and the 5.0 TA will get along together. Lots of good reading here: Diesel - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

I want to take one out on a test drive but the better half said “No”. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #57

Quote:
You really don't have to tell them anything except you want to try it out. I found that a lot of sales reps were less than truthful or knowledgeable with their brands (I had done my homework). I would make up little scenarios about my needs, mixing fact and fiction to see what they came up with. This helped with finding the right vehicle and dealer.

I have no problem with this clever strategy to work around the faults of dealerships... if actually shopping. I'm not shopping for a new vehicle, so unless I'm assisting one of you make a choice (hmm... ) it wouldn't be right to drive their demo truck around.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Perhaps these trucks were essentially developed for the commercial sector with narrower working trailers.
I'm not sure that commercial trailers tend to be narrower than the widest Escapes. This truck's size is simply a stretch (to combine the longer cabs with longer boxes) of the Colorado which was already being sold worldwide, which in turn is sized to meet expectations in other countries (where vehicles are typically narrower).

Quote:
After much research and many test drives, I abandoned the idea of finding a SUV capable of towing a 4000 lb trailer within my safety parameters of 6000+. Now, if GM could drop that diesel into something like the (previous) Acadia...well, that would be something!
Does the "safety parameters of 6000+" mean a minimum trailer weight rating of 6000 pounds?

I appreciate the frustration of finding just the right vehicle, but I don't think dropping the Duramax 2.8 into the Acadia would increase safety at all, and while it might address engine durability limits, it wouldn't change the durability of the transmission (which is likely the limiting factor in the Acadia's towing rating).
Old 08-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #59

Quote:

I have no problem with this clever strategy to work around the faults of dealerships... if actually shopping. I'm not shopping for a new vehicle, so unless I'm assisting one of you make a choice (hmm... ) it wouldn't be right to drive their demo truck around.
I was thinking of the informed assistance excuse to test drive!

Old 08-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #60

Quote:
I'm not sure that commercial trailers tend to be narrower than the widest Escapes. This truck's size is simply a stretch (to combine the longer cabs with longer boxes) of the Colorado which was already being sold worldwide, which in turn is sized to meet expectations in other countries (where vehicles are typically narrower).

Does the "safety parameters of 6000+" mean a minimum trailer weight rating of 6000 pounds?

I appreciate the frustration of finding just the right vehicle, but I don't think dropping the Duramax 2.8 into the Acadia would increase safety at all, and while it might address engine durability limits, it wouldn't change the durability of the transmission (which is likely the limiting factor in the Acadia's towing rating).
Yes, I wanted a vehicle able to tow at least 6000 even if i was looking at smaller trailers. That's just me.
You are probably right about the size of trailers. The ones hauled by tradesmen just seem narrower.
About the (former) Acadia, I really liked it but it maxed at 5000. I just thought this diesel would have made a nice fit but it's all academic. I doubt it would have had a tow mirror option anyway!