Colorado\Canyon Towing 21 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Several people have made comments or expressed concerns about towing mirrors for the Colorado/Canyon, and the Clearview mirrors out of Australia have been mentioned. Right now, if you want proper towing mirrors for these trucks, this looks like your only choice. I have no idea if or when GM will provide this option, but since they are clearly marketing these vehicles as a lifestyle choice rather than a work truck, I'm not holding my breath. Here is an update on the mirrors.

Clearview will start shipping the mirrors on August 24 at a price of US$435 per pair plus $174 shipping cost to at least most places in the US lower 48 states. Not sure what the deal would be for Canadian customers since their price quote is in US$ and they are asking to be paid in US$ and who knows about shipping. These look like a pretty solid product, and Clearview has good reviews in Australia. I've ordered a pair, and with any luck they'll be here about the same time my new truck arrives, but I won't be reporting on towing with them until we pick up our 21 in March.

There's lots more information here: Tow Mirrors - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon if you want to wade through it all (this thread is 275 posts at last count). I've attached a few photos lifted from that thread for your viewing pleasure.
Can you just clip on some Milenco mirrors? A lot cheaper and doesn't add wind resistance when you aren't using them. I've used these for years and don't feel the need for anything better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C7P7EOU...VPGHG1V1F57MPG

The big towing mirrors on an HD truck don't really look right on a smaller truck IMHO, but everyone is different.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #102

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
Can you just clip on some Milenco mirrors? A lot cheaper and doesn't add wind resistance when you aren't using them. I've used these for years and don't feel the need for anything better.

The big towing mirrors on an HD truck don't really look right on a smaller truck IMHO, but everyone is different.
Thank you to the tip regarding the Milenco mirrors. I'll try and find them in Ottawa as Amazon.ca does not carry.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #103

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post

I've read mixed reviews about the detachable type. Personally, I'm going to wait and spend the money towards some proper towing mirrors. Those Clearview mirrors might be the ticket, but there seem to be a few flaws in the prototype, and the shipping is ridiculously expensive. Maybe a bulk order can bring that price down.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #104

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
Thank you to the tip regarding the Milenco mirrors. I'll try and find them in Ottawa as Amazon.ca does not carry.
Hi: JPSpins... CostCo used to carry them. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #105

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Jim Bennett and I got ours from the UK at a reasonable price and shipping.
Didn't take all that long either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr...qid=1471221088
Old 08-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi Alf,
I may have found some Milencos close by on Kijiji. Costco and Amazon.ca do not carry so I may be lucky.
Dometic website shows a local RV dealership as a supplier as well. They seem to be a quality product.
This forum is a wonderful source for information, support and entertainment!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #107

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
Hi Alf,
I may have found some Milencos close by on Kijiji. Costco and Amazon.ca do not carry so I may be lucky.
Dometic website shows a local RV dealership as a supplier as well. They seem to be a quality product.
This forum is a wonderful source for information, support and entertainment!
wait until you get our bill.......
Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
wait until you get our bill.......
I am laughing out loud!

Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 AM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I've read mixed reviews about the detachable type. Personally, I'm going to wait and spend the money towards some proper towing mirrors. Those Clearview mirrors might be the ticket, but there seem to be a few flaws in the prototype, and the shipping is ridiculously expensive. Maybe a bulk order can bring that price down.
Only reason we bought a truck is to tow the 21, and when we're not on the road camping the truck will likely stay parked, so I really want proper towing mirrors and I don't expect GM to make any available anytime soon, if ever, for the Canyon. The Milencos look pretty good compared to other clamp on/strap on types. If the Clearviews don't work out, I'll say a few bad words, reinstall the OEM mirrors, and then most likely go with the Milencos or something similar as a second choice. Others will make choices based on their own concerns and fortunately we don't live in a one size fits all world.

Shipping is a major cost factor, but that's what you get for door-to-door package delivery across the Pacific. Interestingly, while the shipping cost for one set is $174, it's only $180 for two sets delivered to the same address. After that the cost stays pretty constant on a unit basis. I just consider it to be part of the price and recognize that I'm buying an expensive but hopefully high quality product. I can always tell myself "hey, we're spending $75K on this; it's not even 1% more". Of course, my wife understands math pretty well, so that particular argument is probably DOA if it turns out to be wasted money.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:21 AM   #110

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Milenco mirrors, shipped across the Atlantic, door to door, were less than $150. I think the mirrors cost about $125 ( CAD ).
Old 08-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #111

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My Milenco mirrors, shipped across the Atlantic, door to door, were less than $150. I think the mirrors cost about $125 ( CAD ).
Hi: gbaglo... And... Napoleon was still a Cadet too!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #112

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Shipping is a major cost factor, but that's what you get for door-to-door package delivery across the Pacific. Interestingly, while the shipping cost for one set is $174, it's only $180 for two sets delivered to the same address...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The Clearview product is a complete mirror assembly, while the Millenco product is a much smaller and lighter clip-on accessory. The trip across the Pacific from Australia is about twice as far as the trip across the Atlantic from the UK, and there is much more trade on the Atlantic route than that route across the Pacific (which presumably affects availability of low-cost options).

I'm not surprised at the difference between those apples and those oranges.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I just bought a pair of slightly used Milenco Aero 3 mirrors, the big ones, for $80. Dometic now distributes them in North America and parts are available (basically the clamps). I am a happier camper! Now to put them away for many, many months and to find something else to worry about!

Old 08-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #114

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
You can buy the smaller Milenco Aero 3 mirrors from camping world for $117 USD.

Milenco Aero 3 Towing Mirrors, Set of 2 - Dometic DM-2899 - Mirrors - Camping World

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #115

Trailer: None currently
I have a question on using the older generation GMC Canyon as a tow vehicle. I own a 2010 GMC Canyon Z71 4X4 crew cab with the optional 5.3L V8 (pic below). It is rated to tow 5,000 lb. with the factory hitch and 6,000 lb. with a weight distributing hitch. I have been looking for a small 5th wheel camper to pull with it and discovered the 5.0TA a couple of days ago. What issues am I likely going to run into with this potential setup?
10Canyon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #116
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Canyon53 View Post
I have a question on using the older generation GMC Canyon as a tow vehicle. I own a 2010 GMC Canyon Z71 4X4 crew cab with the optional 5.3L V8 (pic below). It is rated to tow 5,000 lb. with the factory hitch and 6,000 lb. with a weight distributing hitch. I have been looking for a small 5th wheel camper to pull with it and discovered the 5.0TA a couple of days ago. What issues am I likely going to run into with this potential setup?
Your capacities don't look to be an issue. But there's always the thing about 5th wheels and towing since the pin weight becomes part of your payload capacity. You might have to mount the 5th wheel hitch a little further back in the bed to clear the cab, because it's a short bed. WDH doesn't enter into the picture with a 5th wheel, so the 6000 lb capacity is irrelevant.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #117

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Canyon53 View Post
Nice looking truck With lots of engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Your capacities don't look to be an issue. But there's always the thing about 5th wheels and towing since the pin weight becomes part of your payload capacity.
WDH doesn't enter into the picture with a 5th wheel, so the 6000 lb capacity is irrelevant.
I would say if you are going to ignore a towing capacity, ignore the 5000 pound number. The difference between the two is how load on the end of frame is handled, so it is irrelevant to a fifth wheel. But I agree, WD is irrelevant.

There are three ratings which will matter:
  • Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR)
    • rated limit for the total of the truck, trailer, and contents
    • this might be an issue if you have enough passengers or cargo in the truck
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
    • rated limit for the total of the truck and everything it is carrying, including the pin weight
    • the difference between the empty truck weight (curb weight) and GVWR is payload, so you can think of this as the payload limit which Robert mentioned
    • this will likely be an issue due to the pin weight if you have any passengers
  • Gross Axle Weight Rating - Rear (GAWR-R)
    • rated limit for the load on the rear axle
    • this might be a limiting factor, again due to pin weight and depending on hitch position)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You might have to mount the 5th wheel hitch a little further back in the bed to clear the cab, because it's a short bed.
This will be the issue. That bed isn't just short, it's ultra-short; you would need to mount the hitch much further back than ideal.

The challenge is that the pin of the trailer (the middle of the hitch) must be far enough from the back of the cab to allow the front of the trailer to clear the cab when you turn. The desired location for the hitch is over the axle or just ahead of it, so the key dimension is the cab-to-axle distance. When larger pickups are used to tow Escape fifth-wheels (5.0 or 5.0TA), a 5.5' bed with about 27" from cab to axle is considered short, and the hitch must be mounted behind the axle to get enough clearance. The Crew Cab Colorado has an exceptionally short distance from cab to axle, so the hitch would need to be well behind the axle.

The problems with having the hitch substantially behind the axle are that it shifts load onto the rear axle (so potentially hitting the GAWR, and lifting the front of the truck), and reduces stability.

There is a forum member who towed an Escape 5.0 with a first-generation Colorado; however, it was an extended cab, not the crew cab, so it had much more space from cab to axle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #118
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think you're right about the bed Brian. Now that I look at it again, it's pretty short.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #119

Trailer: None currently
Thanks for the quick replies!.......and yes, it does have lots of engine. Very fun to drive since I have done a few things to increase the factory output of 300 HP. I am less concerned with how much weight it can pull as how much weight it can stop. The fact that I enjoy the truck so much and don't want to replace it is why I am looking for a small 5th wheel it can pull. Our last camper was a 1984 Skamper pop-up.....my wife and I don't want to go down that road again.

My GCWR is 10,400 lbs.
My GVWR is 5,500 lbs.
My GAWR RR is 2,896 lbs.
The bed length is 5'
Would something like an RV5 Kingpin Extension help with the bed length?
10Canyon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #120

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With those numbers you maybe limited to a 21 or 19 Escape, or the old style single axle 5.0.