Colorado\Canyon Towing 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
Colorado\Canyon Towing 21

Is anyone towing a 21 with the V6 Colorado or Canyon.
We tow our 17 with a Rav4 (V6) or our Ranger but someday we would like to upgrade to the 21. Neither of these will tow a 21
I am thinking of replacing the Ranger.
The specs seem to support the Colorado as a possibility but i am looking for some actual experience.
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
Is anyone towing a 21 with the V6 Colorado or Canyon.
We tow our 17 with a Rav4 (V6) or our Ranger but someday we would like to upgrade to the 21. Neither of these will tow a 21
I am thinking of replacing the Ranger.
The specs seem to support the Colorado as a possibility but i am looking for some actual experience.
I don't have any actual experience yet since I have neither a trailer nor a tow vehicle but Colorado/Canyon is the choice I have made for the TV for our yet to be 21. I will get the V6 rather than the diesel mainly due to cost. The Canyon seems to be about $1500-2000 more than a similarly equipped Colorado and the only differences are primarily cosmetic.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Colorado\Canyon Towing 21

Check out some of the posts on ColoradoFans. Lots of folks with the 2nd gen towing some pretty heavy campers and happy with the performance... Others not so much. My experience towing my 19 with a '15 CC SB has been good, but if I were towing something larger I would get the diesel.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
The Canyon seems to be about $1500-2000 more than a similarly equipped Colorado and the only differences are primarily cosmetic.
The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon are the same truck under two different brand names with slight styling changes and some differences in trim levels, so they can be thought of as variants of one model. Dimensions, engines, and transmissions - and so most of the characteristics relevant to towing - are the same regardless of brand.

There are some differences which are more than cosmetic. A friend of mine bought one last year, and chose the Canyon (All-Terrain trim) over a Colorado in part because the Autotrac® 4WD system includes an automatic 4WD mode which works full-time, while the Colorado had only a part-time 4WD system (Autotrac® not available).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I don't have any actual experience yet since I have neither a trailer nor a tow vehicle but Colorado/Canyon is the choice I have made for the TV for our yet to be 21. I will get the V6 rather than the diesel mainly due to cost. The Canyon seems to be about $1500-2000 more than a similarly equipped Colorado and the only differences are primarily cosmetic.
I am leaning towards the Colorado/Canyon as well but i am still a little way from making the deciscion
Old 06-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Check out some of the posts on ColoradoFans. Lots of folks with the 2nd gen towing some pretty heavy campers and happy with the performance... Others not so much. My experience towing my 19 with a '15 CC SB has been good, but if I were towing something larger I would get the diesel.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t
Wow there were lots of comments but most of the people towing under 5000 pounds seemed to be happy. Great link thank you
Old 06-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon are the same truck under two different brand names with slight styling changes and some differences in trim levels, so they can be thought of as variants of one model. Dimensions, engines, and transmissions - and so most of the characteristics relevant to towing - are the same regardless of brand.

There are some differences which are more than cosmetic. A friend of mine bought one last year, and chose the Canyon (All-Terrain trim) over a Colorado in part because the Autotrac® 4WD system includes an automatic 4WD mode which works full-time, while the Colorado had only a part-time 4WD system (Autotrac® not available).
I have asked my Chevrolet salesman for a list of the differences but this may require more research to find all the differences. i Guess i need to go see the GMC dealer too

There are just to many choices out there.....who knows i may end up with a tundra or Silverado
Old 06-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #8

Trailer: pondering.....
the monthly sales reports are somewhat interesting on
PickupTrucks.com - New & Used Trucks, Truck News and Reviews if only in that it may lead you to who may have the most incentive to make a deal....once considered a Titan XD but that diesel may be doomed if it's sales don't pick up....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
We tow a 2016 Scamp 19 gooseneck with A 2015 Canyon SLT. We just returned from 5 state 3700 mi trip through the southwest and Grand Canyon. The camper and truck fully loaded weighs 8610# with 2910# on the camper axel. Trip computer at finish says I got 16.9 mpg and all but 10% was tow (10 mpg better w/o tow). Interstate speeds were held to about 65 but slower on grades and wind to keep trans above 4th gear. Almost all was with tow/haul engaged for expanded shift range from torque converter. The rig followed like a puppy and I forgot it was there most of the time. The factory tow package has excellent features like lane recognition, collision avoidance, cross wheel braking for anti sway, locking differential, etc. The GMC is much nicer looking than the vanilla Chevy and a Colorado owner I know says his flat hood flexes at hiway speed. The SLT package is worth every dime. When home my wife has commandeered the truck and I have to drive the old Elantra. All that said, a 21 could be towed with a Canyon but if I was out for many months of the year I would far prefer their new 4 cyl diesel version with 369 #ft torque. There are deep discounts on the Silvarado but we went to the smaller version because it fits in our garage. Happy camping
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
I looked at TVs for over a year just in case I decided to purchase a RV, a long time dream. Except for the very expensive Touareg diesel, all of the SUVs I looked at were limited to 5000 lbs. or just too big.
My research led me to believe that that limit was too close to my safe comfort zone which is of course quite relative. I also looked and tried full-sized pick-ups whose prices are quite attractive with all of their incentives. But, they are just to big for me. I then discovered the Canyon/Colorado and was told there was a future diesel option in the works.
I finally opted for the Canyon diesel in March and I am still waiting for it...any day now I am told. I chose it over the other TVs because of its size, performance and the fact that the towing mechanicals and technologies are integrated: tow/haul, diesel brake and trailer brake.
The engine is powerful yet economical and has been around for many years around the world (also in a Jeep model a few years ago).
I have viewed every driving test, hauling test and general review I could find on You Tube channels, newspaper articles etc. and all were unanimous that these trucks are winners. PBS Motorweek recently had a very good look at the Canyon. Here:
2016 GMC Canyon Duramax | MotorWeek

Once the truck was purchased, I focussed on the RV and fell for the Escape 19 due in June 2017.
Right now, I am looking at the different hitches ETI is offering. Equalizer vs. E2, no idea on which is best but at least I don't have to decide until March!
Good luck! JP

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
I looked at TVs for over a year just in case I decided to purchase a RV, a long time dream. Except for the very expensive Touareg diesel, all of the SUVs I looked at were limited to 5000 lbs. or just too big.
My research led me to believe that that limit was too close to my safe comfort zone which is of course quite relative. I also looked and tried full-sized pick-ups whose prices are quite attractive with all of their incentives. But, they are just to big for me. I then discovered the Canyon/Colorado and was told there was a future diesel option in the works.
I finally opted for the Canyon diesel in March and I am still waiting for it...any day now I am told. I chose it over the other TVs because of its size, performance and the fact that the towing mechanicals and technologies are integrated: tow/haul, diesel brake and trailer brake.
The engine is powerful yet economical and has been around for many years around the world (also in a Jeep model a few years ago).
I have viewed every driving test, hauling test and general review I could find on You Tube channels, newspaper articles etc. and all were unanimous that these trucks are winners. PBS Motorweek recently had a very good look at the Canyon. Here:
2016 GMC Canyon Duramax | MotorWeek

Once the truck was purchased, I focussed on the RV and fell for the Escape 19 due in June 2017.
Right now, I am looking at the different hitches ETI is offering. Equalizer vs. E2, no idea on which is best but at least I don't have to decide until March!
Good luck! JP
TFLTruck does a lot of testing and posts reviews on Youtube. They tested the Colorado/Canyon diesel towing 6,500 lbs uphill at 6.7 mpg, on the flat at 12.3 mpg, and not towing on the flat at over 31 mpg. I'm very curious to see what you get towing the much lighter Escape 19. I believe the Tacoma was getting about 13 mpg average reported by another user on this site. I expect you will get 17-18 and it should have enough power for most situations, although climbing may be a little slow compared with the Touareg which has more HP.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: skyfree... Looking on with interest at the Colo/Can diesel twins. I think they'd be an ideal tug for a 5.0TA !!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
The GMC is much nicer looking than the vanilla Chevy and a Colorado owner I know says his flat hood flexes at hiway speed.
My friend who bought a Canyon noticed this difference on test drives. I don't think that the GMC is built any better, but the body style has more folds in the hood which stiffen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
I finally opted for the Canyon diesel ...
That was the VM Motori version of the engine, which has been widely used but appeared in North America only in the first-generation Jeep Liberty CRD. Although in some forums (such as FiberglassRV) many people claim that they really want a small diesel SUV, very few actually buy them - that's one reason that no one else competes with Jeep's occasional forays into this market. The Colorado/Canyon will, of course, be a much more capable tow vehicle than the short-wheelbase Liberty.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
I will have to get back to you next year with a full report!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Canyon Duramax

We just took delivery of a Canyon shortbed with Duramax. We're quite pleased with it so far. I am presently planning the installation of the hitch for our new-to-us Escape 5.0.

I did take the Scamp 13 for a lap around the block and didn't even know it was there...

John
john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: skyfree... Looking on with interest at the Colo/Can diesel twins. I think they'd be an ideal tug for a 5.0TA !!! Alf
Don't tell me you're looking at replacing the Frontier already, or just planning ahead Alf.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by john o View Post
We just took delivery of a Canyon shortbed with Duramax. We're quite pleased with it so far. I am presently planning the installation of the hitch for our new-to-us Escape 5.0.

I did take the Scamp 13 for a lap around the block and didn't even know it was there...

John
John, i'm very interested to hear your experience with the Twin SB and a 5.0TA. I have the '15 Colorado CCSB V6, and had hoped to upgrade to a 5.0TA at some point. I am less concerned about towing capacity than I am with payload, fit and turning radius.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Don't tell me you're looking at replacing the Frontier already, or just planning ahead Alf.

Adrian
Hi: emers382... Always keeping my eyes open and ears to the ground. Trouble is... then my nose comes in contact with the "Grindstone"!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
John, i'm very interested to hear your experience with the Twin SB and a 5.0TA. I have the '15 Colorado CCSB V6, and had hoped to upgrade to a 5.0TA at some point. I am less concerned about towing capacity than I am with payload, fit and turning radius.
I have completed the hitch arrangement on the Canyon Duramax and 5.0 and had the rig out for a spin. Everything working well. I will put photos of my hitch installation in my photos when time permits. No scheduled trips yet. Have an appointment to inspect the 5.0 next week then off to the DMV for registration and license.
john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
I've got the 2015 Colorado, 305hp and 245 torque. I'm picking up a 19 in the spring and hoping for good performance. HP probably doesn't mean much but acceleration is great with this engine. I hauled 3000lb through the mountains with no issues other than gas mileage so the torque was good for that load. Looking forward to the weight distribution and sway control hitch.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote