Concern with the stock tire speed rating? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The picture in post 56 is on an aluminium rim and that could easily come from a completely different supplier than Dougs steel white wheels. Maybe there is more to the aluminium upgrade than just the pretty looks.
That's a good point. The tires may be different with the steel wheels.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #82

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That's what I always did, till I encountered some of the 75 and 80 mph highways. I'm not comfortable driving too slow either.
I am with you on that . We usually drive 59-62. But sometimes have gone 70 -75 If you go too slow especially here in California that isn't safe for you either . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #83

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Laughing here as some of those that read that thread have been sending PMs to individuals that aren't exactly nice in content.

I stand by my comment of being idiots. What about your extra stopping distance pulling a trailer? Do you take that into account when speeding? I've seen way too many folks pulling trailers that are going way too fast and I always wish there was a State Patrol near by that could pull them over and confirm (with a high priced ticket) what an idiot they are.

And I have towed before we got this trailer (multiple times cross country with an enclosed cargo trailer), so not a complete novice. I just don't see the need for speed. I do see the need for plenty of stopping time and distance, especially for when traffic takes a sudden downward change in speed.

And per the traffic laws of WA and OR (where I've done most of my travel trailer towing), I am going the speed limit of either 60 or 65 when towing.

My mother was killed in a car crash in 1999 by two idiots going over the speed limit, so that might have some influence on how I feel about those types of drivers. Yes, she became an organ donor.
A lot of people want to tow trailers at the same speed that they drive not towing, without regard to the weight or stopping distance. For a car, the recommended distance that I saw many years ago as far as distance from another vehicle in front of you, to be able to stop if need be, is one car length per 10 miles per hour. Six car lengths for 60 mph. Can't imagine what it is for a trailer. So sorry to hear about your mother.

California puts towing at 55. Wonder if other states do that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #84

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
...the recommended distance that I saw many years ago as far as distance from another vehicle in front of you, to be able to stop if need be, is one car length per 10 miles per hour. Six car lengths for 60 mph.
The "experts" now use the XX-second rule (I think three seconds?) for cars (not towing). Whatever it is, the old car-length-per-10-mph rule is much easier on the brain. I've tried the newer method and by the time I get up to three seconds, I've forgotten where the car in front was when I started counting.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #85

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When the car in front passes a pole or such, start counting. When you pass the same object, stop counting. Simple.
I believe the magic number used to be two seconds, but I think it may have increased and would increase again when towing.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #86

Quote:
A lot of people want to tow trailers at the same speed that they drive not towing, without regard to the weight or stopping distance. For a car, the recommended distance that I saw many years ago as far as distance from another vehicle in front of you, to be able to stop if need be, is one car length per 10 miles per hour. Six car lengths for 60 mph. Can't imagine what it is for a trailer. So sorry to hear about your mother.

Cathy when we tow we would never go faster then those in front of us and do the speed limit. We make sure no matter what we leave lots of room in front of us . Pulling a tent trailer once , some idiot cut me off on the freeway and we almost were in a accident trying to brake . So I learned to leave lots of room for braking . When I have done 70 -75 it was on a straight away out with little traffic . Pat
Old 11-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Only if you need more load capacity, which you don't.

Or you should put enormous tires from a tractor-trailer rig on your travel trailer, and inflate them to 110 psi so they can handle 10,000 pounds each... depending on who you want to listen to.
So I have them at 59-60 ? Pat
Old 11-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #88
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
If I recall, Oregon does as well.

The problem with a 55 mph limit while towing is that it's not based on any specific situation or road. It's just arbitrary.

But, no offense to my California friends, but I have had the displeasure of having to drive in the Silicon Valley area or the Los Angeles area quite often due to business travel. Let's just say it's not the most friendly and courteous place to drive - let alone tow.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #89

Quote:

I have another one for you . Many driving trucks , not towing , and driving those trucks like it was a car . I try to stay out of their way . They haven't got a clue . Pat
Old 11-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

The problem with a 55 mph limit while towing is that it's not based on any specific situation or road. It's just arbitrary.

But, no offense to my California friends, but I have had the displeasure of having to drive in the Silicon Valley area or the Los Angeles area quite often due to business travel. Let's just say it's not the most friendly and courteous place to drive - let alone tow.
You aren't wrong on that at all . If we have to go that way Sunday morning is a better time to drive . Really try to stay away from there otherwise . Wait till you go to San Diego that's even worst . Pat
Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I understand being a novice tower your concern with speed, that is just fine. As long as one is not hindering traffic, they should by all means drive within their comfort zone. But to call those of us who are comfortable going the speed limit or with the flow of traffic be it at a speed over what you prefer to drive at as idiot organ donors, well......

In case you missed it.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tte-11669.html
Jim that isn't very nice . I think Laura was just making a comment and really not calling you a idiot . I can understand Laura's sensitivity on the subject . For me I am sensitive to out of hand drunks being my baby brother was killed by a drunk driver coming home from work . He was a young father , Grandpa and husband . To save money he was on his motorcycle like all my brothers have. It did a lot of damage and hurt .We all need to drive safe and sound . Pat
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Another consideration that looms on those high speed stretches is the personal knowledge that your trailer brakes are set up do their job at the minimum and it don’t hurt to have the voltage up a little in the high speed situations. Trailer brakes ; They're not for just Mountains.
Dave
This is a HUGE consideration when towing. I am of the mind that too many people back off their brakes too much because they do not like the feel of the trailer brakes tugging back on the tow, Having properly adjusted trailer brakes makes a big difference on your stopping distance. The trailer brakes set up properly pretty much provide enough stopping power for the trailer itself, leaving the tow brakes to stop the tow itself. The stopping distance is really not much difference.

Regardless, I believe if you do like others said and keep a safe distance based on time, this removes any factor of stopping safety you wish to apply. I always keep a very safe distance when following, at least 3 seconds, and when towing a trailer even more. This will keep you safe in any stopping situation, regardless of speed. In my many hundreds of thousands of miles of towing, I have never yet come close to not having enough stopping distance allowed.

I remember years back when cops would routinely give tickets for impeding traffic for those driving too much less than the speed limit, know full well they are the cause of accidents as much as those exceeding the limit too much.

Again, I only follow the speed of the traffic I am in up to 120 kmp, and only pass those that are going slow. I feel this is the safest approach to avoiding conflict (accidents in traffic engineering).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
The "experts" now use the XX-second rule (I think three seconds?) for cars (not towing). Whatever it is, the old car-length-per-10-mph rule is much easier on the brain. I've tried the newer method and by the time I get up to three seconds, I've forgotten where the car in front was when I started counting.
I have seen that rule also but I find the car lengths easy so that is what I use.

If someone keeps a safe distance, it is irrelevant whether the person in front of you is going slowly or fast.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #94

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Trailer brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is a HUGE consideration when towing. I am of the mind that too many people back off their brakes too much because they do not like the feel of the trailer brakes tugging back on the tow, Having properly adjusted trailer brakes makes a big difference on your stopping distance. The trailer brakes set up properly pretty much provide enough stopping power for the trailer itself, leaving the tow brakes to stop the tow itself. The stopping distance is really not much difference.

Regardless, I believe if you do like others said and keep a safe distance based on time, this removes any factor of stopping safety you wish to apply. I always keep a very safe distance when following, at least 3 seconds, and when towing a trailer even more. This will keep you safe in any stopping situation, regardless of speed. In my many hundreds of thousands of miles of towing, I have never yet come close to not having enough stopping distance allowed.

I remember years back when cops would routinely give tickets for impeding traffic for those driving too much less than the speed limit, know full well they are the cause of accidents as much as those exceeding the limit too much.

Again, I only follow the speed of the traffic I am in up to 120 kmp, and only pass those that are going slow. I feel this is the safest approach to avoiding conflict (accidents in traffic engineering).
Exactly Jim,
Let them trailer brakes earn their keep. I’m sure there’s a chart somewhere on the stopping ability they have or need to have. They annoy me when they are locking up on the gravel in a campground if I don’t turn them down when I come off the highway but I give them enough juice that they give a great account of themselves when I’m on the road going 60 or better. Shoes are cheap compared to the alternative. I too have towed trailers well over 200,000
miles, in 55 years of towing. I drive the speed where I’m comfortable. Working in foundries. Hog kill floors in the packing house and on forestry crews I’ve been called a lot worse than an idiot. Not impressed by rookies or namecallers I am
Iowa “smoke them shoes” Dave
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #95

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug & Betty View Post
Our 19 hatched in August with "Rainier ST" tires mounted on white steel wheels, load range D, 65 psi max. I don't know who makes these tires as I've never heard of a Rainier tire and there is no other name or make on them.
My guess is that Rainer is a house brand for a tire distributor, and that the tires are made by whatever company can supply to the provided spec at the lowest price. That's normal in the trailer tire industry. It looks like they might be branded for Tredit, but Tredit might also just sell them. Tredit's speciality is providing tires already mounted on wheels to trailer manufacturers.

If you're really curious, you can find the DOT code. It is usually read for the date of manufacture, but it also includes a code for the factory. There are online lists to translate the factory code into an actual location and company.

The full DOT code is only required on one side of the tire, so when the tire is mounted on the wheel it might end up on the "back" side, where it is hard to find and read.

Quote:
With our previous trailers we would run 65 psi max tires at 62psi. I was just wondering about being told to run them at 50psi at orientation, and the pros/cons of this?
If the previous trailers were heavy enough, compared to the tire size, that close to 65 PSI was needed for adequate load capacity, that would make sense. No Escape with the stock size of tire needs even 50 PSI for load capacity, but some people just run all trailer tires as rock-hard as they can, apparently because they are following guidelines intended for trailers with just-barely-big-enough tires.

Quote:
I could not find any speed rating on the tires.
If there is no speed index (the letter after the load index number), then the maximum operating speed is 65 mph, because they're ST tires. Well, there is a formula for increased speed if the load is less than maximum and the pressure is high enough, but that's a controversial topic.

A random discussion in another forum suggests that at least some Ranier ST tires have the load and speed index marked on them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #96

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Why? 50 psi (if following Escape's recommendation) or perhaps less was suitable for the Load Range C tires, so the same pressure will work the same way with Load Range D tires. If you choose to apply other logic, that's your choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

I think the 55 is mostly for roads in which cars can go 65. But they do not want trailers or some other vehicles at high speed anywhere. If cars were allowed 55, I would likely be going less with the trailer.

Yeah, California is not a place I would get on freeways if I can help it. But then I don't want to get on them many other places either.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We go by our company which is Carlisle. They say to use the sidewall number. Your company is different and maybe you can find something from them on this.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #99

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
I think the 55 is mostly for roads in which cars can go 65. But they do not want trailers or some other vehicles at high speed anywhere. If cars were allowed 55, I would likely be going less with the trailer.

Yeah, California is not a place I would get on freeways if I can help it. But then I don't want to get on them many other places either.
I’ll be damned if I’ll sit here and let you malign the freeways of Ca........Not really, I too dislike our freeways, and every time we travel I celebrate when we leave the Bay Area. Usually I toast with a cookie and a cup of coffee.......

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
I’ll be damned if I’ll sit here and let you malign the freeways of Ca........Not really, I too dislike our freeways, and every time we travel I celebrate when we leave the Bay Area. Usually I toast with a cookie and a cup of coffee.......
Well, as I said, I like to avoid them elsewhere. I generally look for the Interstates and then make certain that I have a better route! But I do use them sometimes in places where I feel that I am stuck with them or I know them to not be too bad. Often the time or day of the week makes a difference.

Tags
speed rating, tires