correct way to attach breakaway cable - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Average cost for cars/trucks $50 and trailers $40, each mechanic is certified and signs the inspection sticker.Brakes, lights, glass, tires and emissions are the main areas looked into.
Well, $40 wouldn’t be that bad for the trailer especially if a person was not equipped to do that level of road worthiness check in the spring.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
The breakaway cable was wound in my chains too. See photo for correction. I test the breakaway system 2-3 times a year by hitching up, then I pop the breakaway cable out of the black box, put the truck in gear and release the truck park brake, applying only a small amount of fuel to the truck, the trailer should not move, if the trailer does move, then your brakes are out of adjustment. I check my trailer brake adjustment at each wheel every year as well. YES the breakaway cable should be attached to the vehicle, not to chains or the R-clip or hitch pin in case they came loose. I'm surprised Escape delivers trailers with cables attached incorrectly AND that they say it is the proper way. Wow, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
https://travelswithtowhee.com/p1050926_fotor/
AnnHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 with Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiano View Post
Hi folks
We recently picked up our new 19' at the factory, and the great people there ran us through orientation, and then hooked us up to our car.
I noticed after we left that they had attached the breakaway switch cable to the safety chain with snap ties, and then attached the cable end loop into the chain hook, which attached to the car.
This is our 4th camper, and I had been taught somewhere long ago that the switch cable should be attached directly to the vehicle, and made slightly shorter than the chain. I looked it up on you tube, and found several links that verified that is the correct way. If the trailer comes off the hitch ball, the switch cable will pull the plug on the breakaway switch and activate the trailer brakes, even though the chains are still keeping the trailer attached to the car.
This would prevent the trailer from slamming into the back of the car.

This seems logical to me; anyone have a different opinion?

I called Dave, the parts guy at Escape and he said he would look into it.......
Mine was also attached to the hook and I thought I must have been doing it wrong all these years. I picked my trailer up a few months ago. I am glad to see these postings as I will revert to my old way. BTW I prefer to use the breakaway as the last ditch safety and only want it to come on if the chains break or whole hitch come off the vehicle. I know there are two schools of thought on this.I therefore leave it with lots of slack and make sure that the plug wire has enough slack to stay in when the trailer falls onto the chains so I have brakes.
sailnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnbike View Post
BTW I prefer to use the breakaway as the last ditch safety and only want it to come on if the chains break or whole hitch come off the vehicle. I know there are two schools of thought on this.I therefore leave it with lots of slack and make sure that the plug wire has enough slack to stay in when the trailer falls onto the chains so I have brakes.
I agree with you 100%. The breakaway switch is for when the trailer totally breaks away from the tow vehicle, hence the name.