Coupler lock Proven #2178 / 19’ hitch same as 21’ hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Coupler lock Proven #2178 / 19’ hitch same as 21’ hitch?

Hi all

I found what looks to be a stronger than average coupler lock - the Proven Industries Coupler Lock model 2178. It also secures the safety chains, if you want.

$139 here
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/prove...ock-p/2178.htm

unlike some other web sites that sell it for $195!

It looks as if it may be a stronger design than the (somewhat similar) MegaHitch Lock.

The manufacturer (Proven Industries) asked me to email them a photo of the coupler to make sure they send me the right ‘variant’ of the 2178.

Questions

1) Is anyone here using it on a 21’ Escape? (we get ours in 2017)

2) Is the coupler on a 19’ Escape (photo attached, that I found here on this forum) identical to the coupler on a 21’ Escape?

3) any other similar beefy coupler locks other than these two? (I have been doing web searches)

4) I looked thru many threads here... I could not find any (more close up) pics of an Escape coupler... bonus points if anyone here wants to upload better pic(s) - thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 19 hitch gate.jpg  
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't think there is any difference in couplers between Escape models (except of course the 5.0/5.0TA). The one in the photo is a typical yoke-style design (examples at eTrailer), which is what I have seen on Escapes, but there may be year-to-year differences. There are slight differences between brands, although I don't know if they would affect the fit of the lock; that one looks like it might be the Pro Series brand.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #3

Talking

Thanks Brian

Do any 21' owners feel inspired to snap a pic of their coupler and post it here ?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In case you didn't already know, that "puck" lock which secures the shield looks like a well-established design which is commonly available in several brands, so you probably are not restricted to the specific brand that they sell. It's a clever design which covers the bolt - a nice feature to combat one of the quickest ways to defeat a traditional padlock.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 AM   #5

Yeah of all the ones I found it does seem like a clever design, indeed.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you got the Jack E Up, you could open your tail gate Jack-E-Up
or a longer stinger in your receiver. Looks like maybe 2" may do it. You can also find tongue jacks with removable handles, helps with clearance as well as theft issues.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Saw two new Escapes recently and noticed a slight difference in the latching lever.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Saw two new Escapes recently and noticed a slight difference in the latching lever.
I think there has been coupler changes over the years, though this lock should work on any of them. It certainly does look sturdy, and I am considering it for my cargo trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think there has been coupler changes over the years, though this lock should work on any of them. It certainly does look sturdy, and I am considering it for my cargo trailer.

Do any 21' owners feel inspired to snap a pic of their coupler and post it here ?

Old 06-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Proven locks 2178 on a Escape 21

So, the dates of these posts would indicate that Losangles now owns his trailer and can answer for the rest of us: does the Escape 21, 2017 version, require the Proven Locks 2178 or the other version the 2178-A for Atwood couplers?

If the Escape 21 uses the 2178, I would go ahead and order this now, to use on my current trailer. My Escape 21 is not due until Dec 2017.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
So, the dates of these posts would indicate that Losangles now owns his trailer and can answer for the rest of us: does the Escape 21, 2017 version, require the Proven Locks 2178 or the other version the 2178-A for Atwood couplers?

If the Escape 21 uses the 2178, I would go ahead and order this now, to use on my current trailer. My Escape 21 is not due until Dec 2017.
As I mentioned in another thread about this...

There are two models of Proven that's fit.

One slightly better than the other.

I found it all confusing ... and can not confidently recommend one model over another.

I would suggest you contact the manufacturer directly.

They were quite helpful.

I don't want to accidentally recommend the slightly less good fit one, by mistake

Hope this is ok.

FWIIW I am very happy with my Proven lock.

Very solid. I use with a good wheel clamp as well.

Would be hard to steal our baby!

:-)

John
Old 06-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: pondering.....
it would be nice to find a lock that actually is worth its cost..
after seeing this post looked at the Proven Industries website. The video showing how easy it was to defeat the competitor's locks was interesting. While trying to remove the Proven Industries lock via several methods he seemed to have left off the what may be the easiest way to defeat this lock....the steel case is not necessarily the weak point as he clearly shows, but he does not mention the lock mechanism itself inside the circular aluminum block. He does show a portable powered saw not being able to easily cut the steel. So assuming a thief's choice is to use a powered hand tool versus a crow bar, wondering if perhaps a similar heavy duty portable drill drilling out the lock mechanism in the aluminum circular block from underside when it is mounted is possible and somewhat easy to do? Can't see the actual lock mechanism in the aluminum circular block in the video well, wondering what it is made of ...Brass, hardened steel , stainless steel or what?
well in another video of the puck lock itself that question appears to be answered..while the internal bolt/pin is probably steel, the lock mechanism appears to be brass which should be easy to drill out. So then the question is, when the brass is drilled out can the steel pin be removed easily or does it fall out? Also a thief knowing the orientation of those expansion pins in the back of the aluminum block may also be easily drilled out from the front of the puck assuming they are important in retaining the bolt/pin and/or lock mechanism. If the circular aluminum block was hardened steel and the lock mechanism something other than brass this might actually be a lock to consider.
emailing those questions to Proven Locks...
guessing that full replacement trailer insurance is always plan A and perhaps a good lock that is worth its cost can be found that deters a less than determined thief.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Now that I have taken delivery of my Escape 21, I can confirm.
You definetly need the "ATWOOD" style lock. ETI doesn't use a Atwood branded hitch, but uses one that is made in that style.

The provenlock 2178-A fits my Escape 21, 2nd Generation, built Dec 2017.

The hooks of the safety chains are too large to be encased by the provenlock, as shown in the provenlock instructions, but the ball and latch mechanism is covered.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote