Coupler not uncoupling on 21' - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
My driveway is on an incline and many times I have almost been reduced to tears trying to hitch the trailer and not being able to lower the coupler latch (or whatever it's called)...and, yes, the ball is firmly and correctly seated. (I don't have the strength or the weight to "wiggle" anything around much less the trailer.) As such, I now usually bring the trailer in from storage and take it back to storage without unhitching from my tow. I do use the jack to take some weight off the tow while in the driveway. This can be a pain in the neck while loading the truck so I get most things loaded before pickup.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
My driveway is on an incline and many times I have almost been reduced to tears trying to hitch the trailer and not being able to lower the coupler latch (or whatever it's called)...and, yes, the ball is firmly and correctly seated. (I don't have the strength or the weight to "wiggle" anything around much less the trailer.) As such, I now usually bring the trailer in from storage and take it back to storage without unhitching from my tow. I do use the jack to take some weight off the tow while in the driveway. This can be a pain in the neck while loading the truck so I get most things loaded before pickup.
One thing that you could try is after you have lowered the coupler onto the hitch ball and are having problems engaging the latch, with the wheel chocks in place on the trailer, put the tow vehicle in drive and move forward a small amount until the hitch coupler pulls tight against the front of the hitch ball. The coupler latch should then fall down into the locking position. Once the hitch is latched, then back up a small amount so that you can remove your wheel chocks from the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Dave's suggestion should work fine...

An alternative, if you've got somebody helping you, is to use the trailer brakes instead of wheel chocks. Use your brake controller to manually engage the trailer brakes on full, and let your tow vehicle pull forward against the trailer brakes. Have your helper engage the latch while you hold the trailer brakes on. No strength needed.

Once I figured out that the ball has to be forward in the hitch before the latch can be engaged or released, most of my hitching problems went away. As others have commented, the hitch some times holds onto the ball even with the latch released and so starts to lift the tow vehicle as the trailer tongue is raised. The solution for me is to bounce on the bumper once or twice.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I think part of the problem is I have been backing onto the Anderson levelors setting the brake, putting the wedges in and trying to unhitch. I think this jams the ball into the coupler latch making it hard to unhook. Last night I pulled onto them and it seemed to work better. If backing onto Anderson's I am going to insert wedges and then nudge forward to take pressure off the ball.
Good think there, definitely worth an experiment or two..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote