Crash! Bang! and now we may need a new vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #1

Crash! Bang! and now we may need a new vehicle

I was calmly driving to work last Wednesday. The traffic in front of me stopped. I stopped. The driver behind me didn't stop. Now, we are looking at possibly having to get a new vehicle. We are waiting for the word from ICBC whether they will repair or write it off - according to the repair shop it could go either way.

In the meantime, we are contemplating whether to stick with the Rav4 or change to something else such as a Highlander. What experience does anyone have with a Highlander? Any other suggestions? It will be our only vehicle so has to be suitable for both towing our 17A, and day to day use. We're not in a position to buy new so thinking of something 2-4 years old.

Any advice would be welcome...

Pam

2004 Escape 17A "Doodle Bug"; 2010 Highlander
dpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We aren't in that position yet..our Ford Escape is a 2--6 and (knock wood) so far so good, but were thinking of our next vehicle being something with a greater towing capacity--ie the Highlander or maybe a Pathfinder or even a Nitro---Doug does not want a truck... And it would basically be our only vehicle..
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsmith View Post
What experience does anyone have with a Highlander?

Pam
Pam:

We have been towing our little Escape 13 with our 2012 Highlander V6 for a year now and are very happy with it.
  • 5000 lb. towing capacity versus 3500 lb. for a RAV4
  • tailgate lifts up instead of swinging to the side

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I purchased a 2012 Highlander in late 2011 and it towed our 3,900 lb boat pretty good and expect it will tow our 19 ft Escape fine. Quite a bit bigger than the RAV such as wheel base, so a little harder to park, may not be a fuel efficient as the RAV. Very comfortable seating, car like ride for a larger SUV, good visibility. Have had no problems with vehicle. Have the sport model with backup camera which is nice when hitching up a trailer.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 17
I think Jeff had a Highlander and a 17B too for a while.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We're towing our 19 with a 2008 Highlander, V6 AWD. It works great. As mentioned, it has a little more of a car-ride to it, with suspension maybe a little softer than most SUVs. For that reason, I'm pretty well convinced we did the right thing in getting a weight distribution hitch. We towed a 16' Casita with no problem; regular hitch and sway damper. I will say that crossing the Rockies on I-70 put it to the test. I started internalizing the pain of the automatic transmission and decided to join the 45 mph trucks in the right lane. Only time I've ever really felt the need. We get about 22 mpg on the highway, 15-16 mpg towing on the highway. Lots of city driving and stops and starts will knock the mileage down a little. We would buy a Highlander again.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #7

Thanks for the input Folks!

We got word on Friday that our Rav is being written off. It's sad to see it go - it was a great vehicle, but glad it took the hit and not me! Coincidentally, a local Toyota dealership has a low mileage 2010 Highlander which we are looking into. If it works out we'll also have to see about getting a hitch. Here's hoping it all comes together and we'll be able to get out camping before the summer is over.

Pam

2004 Escape 17A "Doodle Bug"; 2010 Highlander
dpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote