Current Top Picks for 5.0TA Tow Vehicle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 02:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Ranger possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had heard some time ago that they were shooting for 2018, but who knows for certain.
That would likely be late 2018 for start of 2019 model production. To hit the beginning of the 2018 model year the factory rebuild would need to be well underway now.

Quote:
I know when the new model first came out in Europe and Australia they offered 2 diesels, a 2.2 and the 3.2, as well as one gas option.
Those are still the diesel engines; there is currently no gas engine in the U.K. or Australia, but there would presumably be one or two offered here. The precedent set with other vehicles has been that the most powerful diesel engine routinely offered in a light commercial vehicle in Europe is considered just adequate for North America, where fuel is cheaper and power expectations are higher.

Also, the Power Stroke 3.2 is already certified here (the 2.2 diesel is not). My guess is that the 3.0L turbodiesel coming for the F-150 would be too expensive, would not sufficiently differentiate the F-150 from the Ranger, and is not already set up for the Ranger... so the 3.2L seems like the only likely choice to me.

Quote:
Just reading an Australian brochure on the 2017 Ranger, and it states a towing capacity of up to 3,500kg, and a payload capacity up to 1,500kg. Not too bad.
Yes, but North American ratings - especially towing - tend to be different from those in other areas, so they may be lower here. A 1500 kg payload would be hard to believe in this market; the highest U.K. payload is 1165 kg, and even that is unlikely here. That highest U.K. payload is for a Regular Cab (which won't likely be offered) and doesn't account for the likely extra vehicle weight of our version; the highest in Australia (1480 kg) is for a 2.2L Regular cab-and-chassis... it's only 1095 kg for a well-equipped SuperCrew pickup with 3.2L.

Quote:
The long box on the two door model is just under 6', but on the four door is only 5'.
There are three cabs:
  • two-door Regular,
  • SuperCab that looks like a two-door but has rear-hinged rear doors, and
  • DoubleCab which would be called SuperCrew here.
All have the same wheelbase and accordingly varying boxes:
  • 2317 mm (7'7"),
  • 1847 mm (6'), and
  • 1549 mm (5').
It doesn't seem likely that many people would choose the Regular Cab for RV use, if it is even offered.

Due to the high tariff on imported to the U.S., trucks are manufactured in North America for the North American market, so it is reasonable to have a somewhat different version of the vehicle than sold in the rest of the world. I think the general expectation is that Ford will modify the Ranger for North America in essentially the same way that GM modified the current Colorado: longer wheelbase - at least with extended and crew cabs - and styling changes to look more "aggressive" (meaning "macho", or blocky).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Tow vehicle

Hard to beat F150 Lariat w/2.7L EcoBoost. Great mileage, plenty of power towing and its easy to get around in and park. Oh, and it matches my 21!!
Attached Thumbnails
16 new tow and toad.jpg  
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
You are exactly right about the payload spec.
I know I will need to pay attention to the pin weight, and don't plan to get the under bed gooseneck hitch. I also thought I had seen other canyon diesel - 5.0 TA combinations on this forum.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
You are exactly right about the payload spec.
I know I will need to pay attention to the pin weight, and don't plan to get the under bed gooseneck hitch. I also thought I had seen other canyon diesel - 5.0 TA combinations on this forum.
Hi: gmchamplin... That truck would probably be my pick if Nissan doesn't pony up and change the Frontier.
Lunch break on the Natchez Parkway!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040545.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sarah, it's a 2014 Ford F-150 w/ecoboost 4x4 Supercab (3.5L v6engine, 7200# GVWR package, XLT plus package). I average 15-18 towing and 20-22 non-towing. Compared to my 2000 Ford F-150 (w/Triton V-8), THIS truck makes me so happy.
Thank you so much Donna! Looks like we may be getting a Ram 1500

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #26

Follow-up on this comment about timing of the return of the Ranger...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That would likely be late 2018 for start of 2019 model production.
Ford officially announced Ranger and Bronco plans earlier this year at the North American International Auto Show, including a tweet which said "Production begins late next year at Michigan Assembly" and "Coming in 2019". Ford's coming-vehicle web page for the Ranger is for the 2019 Ranger.

So it will be an option, but it will be about a year and a half before any are built and as much as two years to get one hitched up.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #27

What kind of truck?
dbljac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
Thank you so much Donna! Looks like we may be getting a Ram 1500

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I would look carefully at the Ram 1500's payload capacity .
My 2014 Ram 1500 V8 Hemi has a payload capacity of 1300 lbs.
A Ram 1500 Eco Diesel has considerably less payload , often 300 to 500 Lbs less than the gas model.
Body style , optional equipment ,and engine size / type , can eat up a lot of payload .

Ford and Chevy both have better payload capacity then my Ram when similarly equipped plus Ram does not list the 1500 for 5th wheel towing of ANY 5th wheel trailer . I called Ram about 5th wheel towing an Escape and was told NO.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would look carefully at the Ram 1500's payload capacity .
My 2014 Ram 1500 V8 Hemi has a payload capacity of 1300 lbs.
A Ram 1500 Eco Diesel has considerably less payload , often 300 to 500 Lbs less than the gas model.
Body style , optional equipment ,and engine size / type , can eat up a lot of payload .

Ford and Chevy both have better payload capacity then my Ram when similarly equipped plus Ram does not list the 1500 for 5th wheel towing of ANY 5th wheel trailer . I called Ram about 5th wheel towing an Escape and was told NO.
Thanks, my model is rated to have a payload capacity of 1490# so I should be good as long as I watch what I eat and the amount of craft supplies I pack....
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/d...ammlup1500.pdf
Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Thanks, my model is rated to have a payload capacity of 1490# so I should be good as long as I watch what I eat and the amount of craft supplies I pack....
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/d...ammlup1500.pdf
Using the Ram Body Builder site you referenced my 2014 Ram 1500 has a listed payload capacity of 1480 lbs . The placard on my truck states the payload capacity as 1360 lbs. After dealer installed options my payload is approx 1300 lbs ( Per dealer after subtracting weight of options added )
The chart on the internet is does not accurately account for options added beyond standard package options.
I had the dealer install the spray in bed liner and running boards so that weight had to be subtracted from the payload shown on the placard.
Your truck may well have a payload of 1490 lbs but it also may be considerably lower.
At 1300 lbs of payload capacity for my vehicle and subtracting the average pin weight of an Escape 5.0 TA , hitch weight ,
2 passengers and our dog we were at or over my payload limit.
Hopefully you can make the numbers work for you.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Using the Ram Body Builder site you referenced my 2014 Ram 1500 has a listed payload capacity of 1480 lbs . The placard on my truck states the payload capacity as 1360 lbs. After dealer installed options my payload is approx 1300 lbs ( Per dealer after subtracting weight of options added )
The chart on the internet is does not accurately account for options added beyond standard package options.
I had the dealer install the spray in bed liner and running boards so that weight had to be subtracted from the payload shown on the placard.
Your truck may well have a payload of 1490 lbs but it also may be considerably lower.
At 1300 lbs of payload capacity for my vehicle and subtracting the average pin weight of an Escape 5.0 TA , hitch weight ,
2 passengers and our dog we were at or over my payload limit.
Hopefully you can make the numbers work for you.
Good info, thanks. I do see it is less than published after subtracting for the options. Even at the lower rating the numbers still work for me as long as I keep what I add under 1100#. I'll be using the Anderson Ultimate Hitch to help keep weight down. Husband stays home... ...dog weighs 11#
Old 05-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
Does anyone have experience with a F-150 short bed? 66 inches? The photo shoot/brochure looks like a short bed.
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #33

Quote:
I'm going shopping this weekend for a Tow Vehicle for my incubating 5.0TA. Plan to look at low mileage preowned stock from 1-3 years old. Anyone want to weigh in on what their favorite TV is for the 5.0TA?
Any experienced owners out there with advice on what to avoid?
Thanks in advance!
does anyone have experience with an F-150 short bed? 66inches? That's what it looks like in the brochure pictures and on the website.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Reace does
Attached Thumbnails
HookedUp-01.jpg   HookedUp-02.jpg   HookedUp-03.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Reace does
Would he hit the TV if turned more? Can't tell from the photo. Or maybe it won't turn any more.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee.Artman View Post
does anyone have experience with an F-150 short bed? 66inches? That's what it looks like in the brochure pictures and on the website.
Yes, and it's a popular topic in the forum. Try a Google Search of EscapeForum.org for "5.5" and you'll find lots of discussions.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Would he hit the TV if turned more? Can't tell from the photo. Or maybe it won't turn any more.
This is Reace's post, where I scooped the picture. You'll find what he wrote about the turning radius in this direct link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...html#post48917
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Would he hit the TV if turned more? Can't tell from the photo.
Yes, it will hit if turned more tightly. Reace angled the rig as tightly as reasonably possible for this demonstration.

Also, the current 5.0TA is slightly wider in the nose than the original 5.0TA, so in exactly that situation the new one might be touching the cab.

Quote:
Or maybe it won't turn any more.
It may not even turn that tightly when moving forward (it's a geometry challenge involving the truck's steering angle), but any trailer can be turned to any angle - eventually resulting in a collision between trailer and tug - by reversing or "jackknifing". The hitch doesn't limit turning angle.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #39

thanks, great info.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #40

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Reese told me no problem with a short bed (5'5") ford. I have the big 4 door cab with all the tow accessories and extra pay load.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote