Diesel GMC Canyon / Chevy Colorado for towing 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13'
Diesel GMC Canyon / Chevy Colorado for towing 5.0 TA

Hello,

In a few years we are looking to replace our 13 ft Scamp that we currently use for vacations / camping with something that we can use for longer periods of time over the winter and the escape products have our attention especially the 5.0 TA is at the top of the list.

However we are looking to replace the wife's current vehicle this year due to reliability concerns and would like to get something that could tow a larger trailer such as the 5.0 TA or a bumper pull such as the 19 or 21 ft escape in a few years when we are ready to make the transition to part time.

My vehicle will not be replaced as it is pretty much new and a labor of love that I built from the ground up but unfortunately it is limited to bumper towing at 3500 lbs.

We have been looking at the Colorado and Canyon lines due to towing capacity and the width of the truck as we have a narrow garage door opening and narrow driveway. Looking at the capacities it looks like it is well within the towing abilities with plenty of room left over for safety factor.

With sufficient capacity for towing it seems like the next question or issues are bed length / height and fitting a 5th wheel hitch.

Anyone explore this option or currently towing a 5.0 TA with the new canyon / colorado?
dave_lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: dave_lucas... Sorry no Colorado/Canyon but I do tow a 5.0TA with a long bed V6 Frontier crew cab. I have ridden in a Diesel Canyon that's used to tow a 19' Escape trailer though. Nice truck... but needs trailer tow mirrors!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030713.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
take your pick of previous truck posts.

Escape Community - Search Results for Canyon
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13'
I found a bunch of info just after posting. Sorry about that I was looking on my phone originally and once on the computer the info was much easier to find.
dave_lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
take your pick of previous truck posts.

Escape Community - Search Results for Canyon
Hi: BCnomad... This link can't find it's way around the forum!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I have a 2016 Canyon Duramax with the long (6') bed.
I added Clearview towing mirrors and a 4-section Bakflip bed cover.
I just picked up a 5.0TA a month ago, and my experience so far is here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...yon-11469.html
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
You can find CANYON & COLORADO Towing Mirrors (OEM SPECIFIC) here ::

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=canyon+t...B47481FCCC093E
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Anyone explore this option or currently towing a 5.0 TA with the new canyon / colorado?
There are three or four members of the forum who currently tow a 5.0 TA with a Canyon or Colorado. They all recommend the combination of a mid-sized truck towing a mid-sized trailer. Although the Andersen Ultimate hitch can be installed in the short box, the long box is recommended.

We bought a 2019 Canyon diesel with a long box in August and will be picking up our 5.0 TA in Chilliwack next March. I love the diesel engine: it purrs and is fairly quiet and gets about 30 miles/usgal without a trailer; I expect it will be around 20 miles/usgal when towing. I'm having the Andersen hitch installed at Trademasters in Chilliwack the day before our pickup, since they have experience when these hitches and the Escape fifth-wheel trailer configuration.

Ron
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
There are three or four members of the forum who currently tow a 5.0 TA with a Canyon or Colorado. They all recommend the combination of a mid-sized truck towing a mid-sized trailer. Although the Andersen Ultimate hitch can be installed in the short box, the long box is recommended.

We bought a 2019 Canyon diesel with a long box in August and will be picking up our 5.0 TA in Chilliwack next March. I love the diesel engine: it purrs and is fairly quiet and gets about 30 miles/usgal without a trailer; I expect it will be around 20 miles/usgal when towing. I'm having the Andersen hitch installed at Trademasters in Chilliwack the day before our pickup, since they have experience when these hitches and the Escape fifth-wheel trailer configuration.

Ron
Ron, in case it is helpful, I tow a 19 with a 2017 4X4 Colorado diesel. Not towing, it averages 28 - 32 mpg, towing the trailer fully loaded for travel it's usually 16 - 18 mpg, although occasionally it has been as high as 20 mpg. I do tow in fairly mountainous terrain, however, but rarely does my speed exceed 65 mph. I've found that leaving it tow/haul mode all the time seems to increase the mpg slightly, although with all the other variables to account for (e.g. wind), I can't say for sure if it helps.

I estimate the trailer weighs about 4,200 lbs as we head out the door, with full propane and water tanks and our gear. Also, one thing you might pay attention to, if you're towing up steep grades in hot weather, is the transmission temperature. I've had mine go as high as 236 degrees, and while the dealer mechanic did say that's not high enough to worry about, I do need to replace the transmission fluid more frequently. And for sure, if it got much hotter than that I'd pull over and let it cool down. That said, I think you'll be very happy with the combination! I sure am...
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Hi

I tow an Escape 19 with an 2016 Canyon Duramax.
Marvelous combination. Truck very economical on fuel. If the Honda Ridgeline had that motor and about the same towing spec it would be a dream vehicle. The ride with the Honda is superior in comparaison with the GMC but the GMC ride is ok but truck like, I have the short box. I miss the long box.

First diesel but certainly not my last.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote