Diesel GMC Canyon Towing Escape 21 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #161

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
The answer will come, unfortunately it'll be 2-3 years down the road. I've been driving "older" (pre 2007 for DPF, pre 2010 for DEF) diesels for a while, but my last 2008 diesel 3.0L Jeep GC had the DPF which regenerated itself every 6-12K depending on driving habits. The regen cycle usually lasted 10-15 minutes and that exhaust was screaming HOT. I finally chipped it through one of the better chip companies-Green Diesel Engineering, one chip for better fuel economy and power, and one deleted the DPF regeneration. The latter meant I had to pull the DPF core (basically a big heavy muffler type canister) and air hammer out all the ceramic honeycomb out of it. It was long out of warranty and I live in a state that doesn't test emissions. Both chips made all the difference in the world, performance improved as did economy (engine breathes better, and the raw fuel "dump" that burns out the soot no longer occurs). Keep an eye on these guys for the future of your truck:

Green Diesel Engineering
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #162

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Brian, you are obviously more knowledgeable than me on this. If you "clear the codes" with one of those $50 code clearing boxes, will that get you back to a point where you can burn up the excess soot? Or better yet, just pull your negative battery line for 30 seconds, and then reconnect? Again, NO experience with these. and very little understanding of modern truck electronics. I've just read about them.....
No joy so far getting any kind of answer/suggestion from my GMC dealer on this issue. One of the options that has occurred to me is to get a scan tool so I could do my own forced regen cycle, which is all the GM dealer in Alamosa did to put me back on the road. That is, assuming that one can get the proper software outside of GMC channels - the manufacturers have a habit of trying to keep that to themselves for as long as possible. And assuming that it can be done with a $50-100 scanner instead of the $2500 boxes the dealers use. I imagine that just clearing the failure code without actually completing a regen cycle would just put you back where you started. If the normal "active regeneration cycle", which is what the truck is doing when it tells you to keep driving to clean the exhaust filter, didn't work the first time there's no particular reason to think it would work the second time either.

Next steps for me are to contact GM directly for advice, and also to see if I can reproduce the issue close to home where I can get my dealer to look hard for causes. I'm also going to look further into the idea of acquiring the capacity to do my own forced regen if necessary.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:51 AM   #163

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
The answer will come, unfortunately it'll be 2-3 years down the road. I've been driving "older" (pre 2007 for DPF, pre 2010 for DEF) diesels for a while, but my last 2008 diesel 3.0L Jeep GC had the DPF which regenerated itself every 6-12K depending on driving habits. The regen cycle usually lasted 10-15 minutes and that exhaust was screaming HOT. I finally chipped it through one of the better chip companies-Green Diesel Engineering, one chip for better fuel economy and power, and one deleted the DPF regeneration. The latter meant I had to pull the DPF core (basically a big heavy muffler type canister) and air hammer out all the ceramic honeycomb out of it. It was long out of warranty and I live in a state that doesn't test emissions. Both chips made all the difference in the world, performance improved as did economy (engine breathes better, and the raw fuel "dump" that burns out the soot no longer occurs). Keep an eye on these guys for the future of your truck:

Green Diesel Engineering
Green Diesel Engineering will be issuing their tune for the 2016 model trucks within the next few weeks, and are well on the way to completing the same product for the 2017's as well. Deleting the emissions control hardware and reprogramming to compensate would certainly eliminate the problem I described, and reports indicate significant performance improvements as well (spend a little time on the coloradofans.com forum and you will see that a certain percentage of owners "delete all that emissions cr**" pretty much the day they bring their trucks home). On the new trucks, that means replacing the entire exhaust system, and of course voiding the warranty. For me, that's not an option I'm willing to pursue both for legal reasons and because I spent too much of my youth in LA in the pre-smog control days.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #164

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It sounds like Green Diesel Engineering should be called "Filthy Diesel Hacking". Although disabling and removing emission control systems like this could be done to an engine when warranty is no longer important, I don't see this as the future of engine management - it is a regression.

This company targets soot-free operation (according to their About Us page), but otherwise apparently makes no attempt to control emissions; they only cheat the OBD data to make the vehicle appear to be functioning properly...
Returns information:
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: Not legal for sale or use on any emission controlled motor vehicles. Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used on a highway. For off-road racing use only.
Explanation in the company's forum, by the company:
DISCLAIMER: Not legal for sale or use on any emission controlled motor vehicles.
This is a less sophisticated version of the VW approach to cheating, since they are not attempting to pass an actual emissions test. They assume the engine will never be tested, so they will get away with excessive NOx and other emissions... and if a truck fails, they deny any responsibility anyway.

The current situation reminds me of decades ago, when emission standards had been tightened for gasoline engines and manufacturers tried to meet them with complex and generally horrible carburetors attached to a mess of vacuum hoses and other plumbing. Lots of owners pulled that stuff off, for similar reasons to those now given by diesel owners. Current engines (and even those of a couple of decades ago) meet much more stringent standards while delivering much more power with better fuel economy. Perhaps some day diesels will catch up, although they're already using every bit of available technology; I don't know what will be next.

In the meantime, diesel owners do face challenges, and I respect Stan's approach.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #165

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Brian, you are obviously more knowledgeable than me on this. If you "clear the codes" with one of those $50 code clearing boxes, will that get you back to a point where you can burn up the excess soot? Or better yet, just pull your negative battery line for 30 seconds, and then reconnect? Again, NO experience with these. and very little understanding of modern truck electronics. I've just read about them.....
I don't know about the Duramax 2.8 specifically, but in some cases clearing the indication of a problem (the code) doesn't restore normal operation because there is either a physical problem, or information tracked by the computer which is not cleared with the code. The original intention of these condition codes was to ensure that emission control systems are maintained and not defeated, so they were always more about reporting a problem than managing it.

In this case, you're not trying to ignore the problem or work around the need for a regeneration cycle, so it's reasonable to hope that there is a way to trigger the desired action. I think Stan nailed the situation: you need to send a specific message on the vehicle's computer bus, not just acknowledge an error condition, and the electronic tool to do that is not readily available.

Just interrupting power seems unlikely to work, because the engine control computer needs to keep track of emissions related data over a power interruption such as a battery change; it probably won't forget the situation or go back to normal.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #166

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The current situation reminds me of decades ago, when emission standards had been tightened for gasoline engines and manufacturers tried to meet them with complex and generally horrible carburetors attached to a mess of vacuum hoses and other plumbing. Lots of owners pulled that stuff off, for similar reasons to those now given by diesel owners. .....
"Lots of owners":That would be me. I ran with a centrifugal-advance distributor, and no hoses or plumbing: got 30 mpg day-in and day-out. When it was time to get a smog cert., the original equipment went back on, and passed testing every time, but... it was 23 mpg max.
I could never be convinced that I was polluting less at 30 mpg than 23 mpg, increased NOX emissions not withstanding!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #167

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My wife has COPD which is adversely affected by NOX but I guess increasing ones fuel mileage take precedence over her right to be able to breathe.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #168

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wife has COPD which is adversely affected by NOX but I guess increasing ones fuel mileage take precedence over her right to be able to breathe.
I also have COPD, which is why I'm not camping in the interior of BC where forest fires are raging, many thanks to people who figure it's their right to have a camp fire.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #169

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Colorado/Canyon Factory Style Tow Mirrors

Came across this site and they appear to have the same tow mirror as Clearview, but much cheaper. Type one looks to be heated without turn signal and Type two adds the turn signal option.

https://boostautoparts.com/collectio...rors-old-style

Install Video
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:43 AM   #170

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
2019 in the garage

Just picked up my Canyon 2.8 SLT RWD short bed and am getting used to all the upgrades and power difference from my '15 3.6. Far better handling, fuel mileage, infotainment than the previous one.
Price wasn't too bad: Paid $1500 under MSRP, -$3000 dealer incentives so came in about $38.5k - $22k for the '15 + TTL
The local hitch shop will install my swapped out Andersen Ultimate for our 5.0 TA next week then the spring fun begins.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #171

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Keep posting your towing results! I’d be interested to see what the 2.8 feels like at places like Teton Pass and the hills of WV. Drove a 3.0L diesel I6 for a few years and loved it, but the platform it was in was light (Jeep GC) and I definitely knew a trailer was back there in the hills...
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote