Diesel GMC Canyon Towing Escape 21 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
Stan,
What mirror did you get to fit the Canyon? I looked on the Clearview Mirrors web site, but did not see any GMC trucks supported.

And how did ordering from Australia work for you?
If you look in the fine print on Clearview's website, they note the availability of the mirrors for the North American Colorado/Canyon. Best bet if you are interested in the mirrors is to send an email to Sophia Chen (sophia@clearviewaccessories.com.au). She's very responsive and helpful. For me, ordering from Australia was no drama at all. I sent an email, Sophia sent a quote, I confirmed and sent a wire transfer for the mirrors plus shipping (in USD at their request), and in less than a week the mirrors were delivered to my door. I understand that now they are set up to take payment via Paypal, so it should be even easier, especially if you have to pay a fee for wire transfer (I don't). The mirrors are a little pricey, but well worth it IMO; others find the clip on type to be adequate. For more than you ever wanted to read about the mirrors, there is a long thread on coloradofans.com forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Does GMC not offer an OEM towing mirror. I have them on both my Fords, and they are fantastic. Great rear view retracted or extended, and extremely stable too.
Brian is correct that GM does not offer a factory towing mirror option for the Colorado/Canyon truck. Seems rather bizarre to me given the capabilities, but then they are marketing these trucks as lifestyle choices, not working trucks. As far as I can tell, having done lots of looking, if you want proper OEM replacement towing mirrors for the Colorado/Canyon, Clearview is literally the only choice available in the world.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
They now accept PayPal.

My contact was: Dion Praag | Clearview <dion@clearviewaccessories.com.au>

If you install them yourself be sure to search for and read the thread: (may need to get an id and login to see the pictures)
Tow Mirrors - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
Especially posts 340 on page 17, 350 on page 18, 411 on page 21, and 432 on page 22.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #63

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Regarding the Clearview mirrors. When you go to the site and you choose your make of vehicle, click on Holden. Holden is the GM name in Australia. Then click on Colorado RG 2012+ Then you will see the reference to the Colorado and Canyon.
They look like great mirrors
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Indeed they are beautiful and I do not believe there would be duty to be paid if imported to Canada, just HST/GST/PST.
It's important to get the order in properly because Australians drive on the other side, some models have heated mirrors and so on.
A neighbour has CIPA mirrors for his F150 and loves them...but they do not make them for Canyons. With these vehicles gaining in popularity, perhaps someone in North America will come up with something or Clearview will distribute here.
Still, it's great that we have options.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #65

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
Indeed they are beautiful and I do not believe there would be duty to be paid if imported to Canada, just HST/GST/PST.
Why not? We don't have a free trade agreement with Australia (yet - TPP is not in force). Is there another reason for an exemption?

The CBSA Duty and Taxes Estimator says that $800 worth of auto parts from Australia would cost $90.40 for an Alberta resident, which would presumably be $40 of GST (we don't have PST) and $50.40 of duty.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #66
CRJ

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Diesel Canyon

I recently down sized from a full size Dodge Cummins truck to the 4wd Diesel Canyon. I did a lot of reviewing before the purchase. Fast Lane Trucks do a nice towing review for all the new trucks on Youtube. The Colorado/Canyon was highly rated on their Ike Gauntlet test in the Colorado mountains.
The truck is extremely comfortable to drive, very smooth ride and quiet (a big change from my former truck). Much nicer to drive in the city and fits in my garage. Much like driving an SUV. For me in my 60's it's all the truck I need now.
Got my first chance to tow with the vehicle a couple weeks ago when we picked up a 2015 Escape 21. The truck really shines towing a trailer of this size. Seemed to have plenty of power going over the coast range here in Southern Oregon. I was really impressed with the tow / haul mode on down hill sections. Provided complete control with virtually no use of the brakes with the well engineered exhaust brake system. We averaged 18 mpg in pouring down rain over the 160 mile return trip and 30 on the way over.
Only concerns I can see that I will need to watch the GVW when fully loaded for camping. And yes there are no available tow mirrors from GM. I picked up some clamp on's that I hope will work ok.
CJ
CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ View Post
I recently down sized from a full size Dodge Cummins truck to the 4wd Diesel Canyon. I did a lot of reviewing before the purchase. Fast Lane Trucks do a nice towing review for all the new trucks on Youtube. The Colorado/Canyon was highly rated on their Ike Gauntlet test in the Colorado mountains.
The truck is extremely comfortable to drive, very smooth ride and quiet (a big change from my former truck). Much nicer to drive in the city and fits in my garage. Much like driving an SUV. For me in my 60's it's all the truck I need now.
Got my first chance to tow with the vehicle a couple weeks ago when we picked up a 2015 Escape 21. The truck really shines towing a trailer of this size. Seemed to have plenty of power going over the coast range here in Southern Oregon. I was really impressed with the tow / haul mode on down hill sections. Provided complete control with virtually no use of the brakes with the well engineered exhaust brake system. We averaged 18 mpg in pouring down rain over the 160 mile return trip and 30 on the way over.
Only concerns I can see that I will need to watch the GVW when fully loaded for camping. And yes there are no available tow mirrors from GM. I picked up some clamp on's that I hope will work ok.
CJ
Can you provide a few pointers on using the diesel exhaust/tow haul on the Canyon? The manuals have little info that I could find. I have read that the engine will control speed going downhill when brakes are "tapped" and/or cruise control is engaged.
How would I keep a downhill speed of 70 kph for example going downhill?
Are you using a hitch? Manual does recommend that!
I am looking forward to putting the Canyon Diesel to use in a couple of months.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Why not? We don't have a free trade agreement with Australia (yet - TPP is not in force). Is there another reason for an exemption?

The CBSA Duty and Taxes Estimator says that $800 worth of auto parts from Australia would cost $90.40 for an Alberta resident, which would presumably be $40 of GST (we don't have PST) and $50.40 of duty.
There would likely be customs brokerage fees on top of that.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #69
CRJ

Quote:
Can you provide a few pointers on using the diesel exhaust/tow haul on the Canyon? The manuals have little info that I could find. I have read that the engine will control speed going downhill when brakes are "tapped" and/or cruise control is engaged.
How would I keep a downhill speed of 70 kph for example going downhill?
Are you using a hitch? Manual does recommend that!
I am looking forward to putting the Canyon Diesel to use in a couple of months.
There's others here on the forum that have more experience than me towing with one of the GM twin diesels but here's my experience. After engaging the tow/haul mode the exhaust brake and control of speed is pretty much automatic. What is interesting is without a load or trailer the system really doesn't feel like it is doing much of anything other than changing the shift points which makes one wonder if it is functional. Once towing and the system "senses" the load pushing the exhaust brake and downshifting comes into play. Applying the brake will set the speed that you want to maintain. Cruise control will also set the speed but I'm not using that on a decent. In that Ike Gauntlet video I mentioned they do a loop trip up several thousand feet and back down a pass in the Rockies. On the return back down the pass they noted that they only used the brake one time and that's with a 5600 lb trailer. This along with fuel economy was one of the reasons for the high rating they gave the Canyon.

The feel of being under control while towing like this downhill is not something I've ever experienced before. It's really nice having this capability in a midsized truck. I believe the full sized diesel GM trucks function in the same manner. I'm unfamiliar with the other brands.

I'm using a Andersen WDH which was what the prior owner was using but of course that doesn't really affect the tow / haul mode. I have been impressed with the ability of the truck to handle a decent load within it's rated capacity without drooping in the back. But I was a bit surprised when I stopped at a weigh station and I was near GVW capacity on the truck and I wasn't hauling all that much in the truck. I do plan to carefully sort out loading when heading out on a long trip.

CJ
Old 03-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #70

Thank you! My confidence level with this truck continues to grow. I will be keeping track of what goes into the truck including fuel weight. I don't think I will have to diet though!

Old 03-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: CRJ...IMHO Tow Haul does exactly this!!! Controls the shift points. Simply holds each gear longer to get your rig up to speed. We had it on our '02 GMC Sierra. With the 4.2 L V6 it really only made a lot of noise!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #72

Quote:
Thank you! My confidence level with this truck continues to grow. I will be keeping track of what goes into the truck including fuel weight. I don't think I will have to diet though!
Hi: JPSpins... You can always pick up some "SlimFast" on route!!! Alf
Old 03-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: JPSpins... You can always pick up some "SlimFast" on route!!! Alf
A cross-country liquid diet resulting in better mileage as those beautiful mountains get closer. More great advice!

Old 03-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I am towing and using the "Tow/haul" mode, my trans/engine operate together and there is a drag or braking effect going downhill, once the brakes are tapped. The engine transmission down shifts and maintains the speed in a lower gear. One can also increase the braking via manually downshifting into a lower gear, the gearing is displayed on your control panel.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #75
CRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: CRJ...IMHO Tow Haul does exactly this!!! Controls the shift points. Simply holds each gear longer to get your rig up to speed. We had it on our '02 GMC Sierra. With the 4.2 L V6 it really only made a lot of noise!!! Alf
Yes in deed the shift points change for getting up to speed and slowing decents.

With these new diesels with exhaust brake the speed is also controlled by changing the vanes in the turbo restricting the exhaust and slowing the engine. The downshifting amplifies this with higher RPM. From my experience it's a well engineered safety feature for towing downhill.
CJ
Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #76

The integrated tow/haul, diesel exhaust and trailer brake controller systems are why I bought this small truck.
When this adventure started, I knew little about trailers and even less about diesel trucks. With a lot of help and advice through this forum and ETI of course, I now have the Canyon with an Escape on the way. NOT.TOO.BAD!

Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Remember there is difference between exhaust brake and "Jake" brake-http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-jake-brake-and-exhaust-brake/
Old 03-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #78

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Remember there is difference between exhaust brake and "Jake" brake- Difference Between Jake Brake and Exhaust Brake | Difference Between
True. None of the trucks discussed for towing an Escape have a compression release engine brake (or "Jake" brake); they only have exhaust brakes. In the Colorado/Canyon, the exhaust brake feature is accomplished by the control vanes in the turbocharger as CRJ described; some older diesel pickups have a throttle valve in the exhaust system.

Personally, I'm glad that pickup drivers don't have compression release brakes available to them - I don't want to hear that.

If this whole discussion gives anyone a sense of déjà vu, see a previous round in Colorado\Canyon Towing 21 - post #72
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #79
CRJ

If this whole discussion gives anyone a sense of déjà vu, see a previous round in Colorado\Canyon Towing 21 - post #72[/QUOTE]
I hadn't seen this other thread. I find lots of duplicate topic threads on this forum which makes it challenging to find all pertinent info when doing a search. On other forums I find the moderators combining threads but I'm sure that's lots of work and probably not appreciated by all.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When I am towing and using the "Tow/haul" mode, my trans/engine operate together and there is a drag or braking effect going downhill, once the brakes are tapped. The engine transmission down shifts and maintains the speed in a lower gear. One can also increase the braking via manually downshifting into a lower gear, the gearing is displayed on your control panel.
Hi: cpaharley2008... I'm sure there is at least a "Drag" effect on some of your cross country tours!!! LoL Alf