Ditched the Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch! BUT WHY? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Ditched the Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch! BUT WHY?

Here is an interesting video from "Big Truck Big RV" channel. He reviewed the Andersen 5th Wheel hitch in a prior video and really liked it. But then switched back to his B7W hitch.

His reasons were not due to any flaws with the Andersen hitch but more to do with his needs and preferences.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While the video image is completely pointless, and the audio would be better as text with one photo for illustration, his reasons for the change are interesting.

Although his primary reason is that the base of the B&W Companion is simply smaller than the base of the Andersen, I'll note that his Companion mounts to four pads (called "pucks") which are factory-installed in his Ford Super Duty pickup... and the Ford mounting pattern is the most compact of the three (Ford, Ram, GM), at only 13 inches (on centre) fore-aft. That allows the Companion OEM for Ford base to have a footprint only 33.5" wide and 16.5" long (fore-aft). The other Companion OEM bases are larger (not that anyone towing an Escape has a truck with one of these OEM puck systems), and the Companion that works with the Turnoverball under-bed mount has a base which is 30.5" wide and 36" long (fore-aft)... that's as big as the Andersen Ultimate.

Anyone with an Andersen wanting to save space might want to compare dimensions. The Andersen gooseneck-anchored base is 35.63" wide and 31.5" long (fore-aft), so the Turnoverball-mounted Companion would be just as big, but turned with the longer dimension fore-aft instead of side-to-side. The rail-mounted Andersen is only 24" square; rail-mounted conventional fifth-wheels will be the same size fore-aft, and many are the same width as well (with others even wider).

If you have thick steel flatbed, you can use a Companion Flatbed with a base only 17.25" x 18". Other than that, if you don't have a Ford SuperDuty, the smallest footprint would be a rail-mounted Andersen or similarly shaped conventional fifth-wheel.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
You would have a hard time getting me to switch to a conventional hitch. I have plenty of room in the bed of my truck, it tows quietly, is the lightest hitch available, rated for close to 4 times my trailer weight, easy in and out, adjustability both for and aft, and the simplest hitch out there.
Attached Thumbnails
20190227_083642.jpg   20190227_083629.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Didn't watch the vid but maybe he can't be bothered hooking up the safety chains. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: none
Chotch, what was your bed length again?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Anyone with an Andersen wanting to save space might want to compare dimensions. The Andersen gooseneck-anchored base is 35.63" wide and 31.5" long (fore-aft), so the Turnoverball-mounted Companion would be just as big, but turned with the longer dimension fore-aft instead of side-to-side. The rail-mounted Andersen is only 24" square; rail-mounted conventional fifth-wheels will be the same size fore-aft, and many are the same width as well (with others even wider).
Our truck was purchased for one reason: pulling a camper. While we liked the looks of the turnoverball Andersen, with the flat floor when not in use, the rail version is much smaller. Since we want to carry at least one trike in the back (currently we have two in back) we needed all the space possible. In Tucson we finally got to see both versions in the Andersen floor display at an RV dealer. The rail mounted version takes up significantly less space, showing we definitely made the correct choice for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Chotch, what was your bed length again?
6.5 foot you can see I still have room even with a large tool box that's built into tonneau cover.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
You would have a hard time getting me to switch to a conventional hitch. I have plenty of room in the bed of my truck, it tows quietly, is the lightest hitch available, rated for close to 4 times my trailer weight, easy in and out, adjustability both for and aft, and the simplest hitch out there.

I like your tray under the hitch for the Andersen Levelers! Great idea!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I like your tray under the hitch for the Andersen Levelers! Great idea!
You have a space, you put something in it 😎
Old 03-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #10

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
6.5 foot you can see I still have room even with a large tool box that's built into tonneau cover.
Thanks. You better take that jug of milk out of the bed before it spoils!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Our truck was purchased for one reason: pulling a camper. While we liked the looks of the turnoverball Andersen, with the flat floor when not in use, the rail version is much smaller. Since we want to carry at least one trike in the back (currently we have two in back) we needed all the space possible. In Tucson we finally got to see both versions in the Andersen floor display at an RV dealer. The rail mounted version takes up significantly less space, showing we definitely made the correct choice for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Given this I would definitely have gone with the rail mount. I chose the gooseneck version for the ability to have a clean bed for work, but in reality rarely made use of this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Given this I would definitely have gone with the rail mount. I chose the gooseneck version for the ability to have a clean bed for work, but in reality rarely made use of this.
My main reason for choosing rail mount was to save a few lbs. That was the main reason for the Andersen in the first place.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote