Do I even need an equalizer hitch? Help - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Ronkat, my 2014 tailgate just touches the jack handle. This is withthe Anderson set up.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrider View Post
I... The Escape has excellent towing manners. There is less bounce than with the Scamp and absolutely no tendency to sway. Perhaps this is a benefit of tandem axles? .
One major reason for that, I believe, is that Escapes have the axles further toward the back. Scamp's axles are very near the midpoint. I noticed an immediate difference between towing my Scamp 16 and our 17B. Scamp would sway, never felt even the smallest bit of sway with our Escape.

(Note to Donna - I'm trying!! )

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
Ronkat--My Ram is a 2009 4x4. The distance from the center of the pin to the center of the ball on my ball mount is only 9.25". The tailgate does hit the jack handle, but not by much. I'll measure how much longer my mount would need to be next time I am hooked up and let you know.

One solution to the tailgate problem is a removable tongue jack like the Jack-E-Up (Jack-E-Up). I believe I recall reading that cpaharley2008 installed one of these and perhaps he could give us a report.

By all means stop by if you are in the area. I am a half block east of the water tower. Eric
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Thanks Ditchrider -- Thanks for the measurement. I think I should be able to open the tailgate if I use a 12" or 14" from hole to center of ball. I have a cap on the bed of the Ram, and nothing worse than needing something from the box and having to climb over the tailgate to go dig it out, when hooked up to a RV. It's these little things that can drive a person crazy, or make life a little easier. Hope to see you one of these days.
ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrider View Post

One solution to the tailgate problem is a removable tongue jack like the Jack-E-Up (Jack-E-Up). I believe I recall reading that cpaharley2008 installed one of these and perhaps he could give us a report.

Eric
Seems like that might even be a nice option for Escape to offer.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Jack-e-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
Seems like that might even be a nice option for Escape to offer.
It's easy enough to install. Unbolt the jack (3 bolts); use the same bolts to install the Jack-e-Up. Done.
Next time I'm in northeastern Oregon, I'm going to pick one up.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
One major reason for that, I believe, is that Escapes have the axles further toward the back. Scamp's axles are very near the midpoint.
This depends on the specific model. The Escape 17' does have the axle relatively far back in the body (which is why the battery is mounted at the rear to keep the tongue weight down), while the Escape 15' has the axle very near the middle. Other models are between these extremes.

A long distance from ball to axle, relative to the body length, is good for stability, even if the tongue weight fraction is the same.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:24 AM   #28

Trailer: 2006 Casita/2016 Escape
The consensus seems to be that I should "wait and see". That's what we have done. Thanks to everyone for your feedback and suggested alternatives. Soon as I see how it rides, I will have some options if there is a problem.

The "Jack-up" was a product I had not seen. Anyone who has a jack clearance problem and camper shell on their truck needs to look at this one. I took my shell off to haul the Vespa but if I ever put it back on I will be buying one of these.

Kenny
Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have the Jack E up and it works like a charm with both my old 209 Ram traded in on my 2014 Ram. In addition I also have purchased several 2" longer stingers that also work with the stock jack. My 2009 Ram had to have air bags to tow level but so far the newer 2014 suspension is fine, particularly with the longer stinger. Really liking the 13-14 mpg towing over the older 12 numbers.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
It's easy enough to install. Unbolt the jack (3 bolts); use the same bolts to install the Jack-e-Up. Done.
Next time I'm in northeastern Oregon, I'm going to pick one up.
Don & Teresa,
Thanks. One less option for ETI to contend with unless they made it standard. Looks like it only costs $97.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have the Jack E up and it works like a charm with both my old 209 Ram traded in on my 2014 Ram. In addition I also have purchased several 2" longer stingers that also work with the stock jack. My 2009 Ram had to have air bags to tow level but so far the newer 2014 suspension is fine, particularly with the longer stinger. Really liking the 13-14 mpg towing over the older 12 numbers.
Jim,
Good info on the air bags. This video cleared things up for me. Looks like the original jack is reused and should be stored off the tow hitch when not in use so it won't rattle or fall off. Put it in the TV or the front storage box.

$81.49 USD on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

or

$42.99 USD plus shipping from Camping World
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

I guess they are the same units.

Tags
build sheet, hitch, newbies, tow, towing vehicle