Do I need sliding hitch for Ford 6 1/2 foot bed and 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #1

Trailer: none 2018
Do I need sliding hitch for Ford 6 1/2 foot bed and 5.0TA

I am a rookie to all of this but have decided to buy a 5.0-TA and a Ford F-150 with the 6 1/2 foot bed. given standard fifth wheel hitch installations, will I need a sliding hitch like SuperGlide or will there be sufficient clearance for tight turns with a regular (non-sliding) hitch?

I see references in some of the discussion threads about a company called TradeMasters. Where are they located, what hitches do they sell / install?
Finally, if anyone has a recommended hitch brand I would welcome the input
Sorry for sounding stupid but as I said, I am new to all of this but know I want to join the RV lifestyle
Charlie Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We have the 6.5 bed on our F150 and there's plenty of room, I could even jackknife it without hitting the cab. Don't forget a 5.0TA is only 7 foot 4 inches wide, narrower than standard fifth wheels. I'd recommend the Andersen hitch as well. We're happy with our B&W Patriot like Bob's but it is very heavy so have to watch my payload.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The 6.5' bed is what I would consider the ideal size, you won't have any problems with it. Trademasters is in Chilliwack. Here's the web page with their 5th wheel hitches. https://www.vehiclesolutions.ca/fifth-wheel-hauling/ From what I've read here, they are pretty easy to work with. May be able to bring your own equipment to them, others here will know more, I didn't use them.

Anderson is probably the most popular as it is fairly light weight. I like the B&W Patriot I have but it's anything but light weight.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
6.5 and Andersen Hitch

Our F150 has a 6.5' bed. We put a B&W gooseneck hitch in the bed. Added a lightweight Andersen hitch, and have never had a problem. Haven't jack-knifed it yet, but looks like we would get away with it. Katrina
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Short answer is no. Slider not necessary.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A slider is not required, as long as the (fixed) pin position is far enough back from the cab. In an F-150 6.5' box, that means not just ahead of the axle (which is where most hitches install by default), but shifted back in some way. The shift back can come from the offset in the frame of a hitch such as the Andersen Ultimate, or by non-standard installation of the mounting rails for a conventional fifth-wheel hitch. Getting the right position for a fixed hitch to work isn't a problem, but it does require a suitable choice of components and mounting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA
Have a similar question as original poster. Will be pulling a 5.0 with a 2018 Silverado 1500 with a 5' 6" short bed. Will the Anderson Ultimate 2 with Gooseneck mount work or do I need a sidewinder or slider. Anderson tech says it should work fine considering the 5.0 is only 88 inches wide but I'm reading conflicting info. All replies are appreciated.
Luke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Another note on Trademasters. They didn't officially carry the anderson hitch products but did quote a price for the ultimate fifth wheel hitch, but I bought mine from amazon. I did purchase the B&W turnover ball through them and was very satisfied with their installation.

I also have an F150 with the 6.5' bed and have no issues with turning radius.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Another 5.0ta pulled by an f150 with a 6.5 foot bed. I installed the B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch as designed. The Anderson Ultimate attaches to the gooseneck ball. No problems at all. I have plenty of room. BTW you will love this combination.
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I installed an Anderson rail mount hitch, mounted to to Reese, model specific bed rails. Easy install , only drilling involved was through bed of truck. I can go to 90 degrees backing without hitting truck, although only did it in a parking lot to see if it could be done. Never had to do it to get into a site. 🤔 think the 6.5’ bed is a perfect matchup for the 50TA. You even have a good deal of room for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
22760EA8-E7C0-424D-B7FC-F3C998CC01B7.jpg   5FBD2084-F1EF-4935-A34C-F9B75EB31078.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote