Do we need weight distribution hitch, max. tongue weight 1040 lbs - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Has anyone decided they they do like having sway control on their Escape? (problems with removable sway bars causing angle problems aside)
it depends on your tow vehicle as much as anything. if you're towing with something like an F250, then you'll never need WDH or sway with a fiberglass trailer. you'd want to use WDH for a much heavier trailer, like a 36' airstream or whatever.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #102

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
it depends on your tow vehicle as much as anything. if you're towing with something like an F250, then you'll never need WDH or sway with a fiberglass trailer. you'd want to use WDH for a much heavier trailer, like a 36' airstream or whatever.
I see how TV can cause the need for WDH, although we're going to get it anyway, for peace of mind. How does the TV affect sway?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #103

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
How does the TV affect sway?
Depends what channel you are tuned to.
Several people have said they see no need for sway devices. The WDH and a properly loaded trailer are enough.
I would just get the $350 Pro Series WDH and spend the rest on a Sherline tongue scale.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #104

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I hesitate to post because I may just be adding to the confusion, but here goes.

I never see it mentioned, but modern p/ups often come with built in sway control, my 2009 Tundra has it, and I think the current F150's have it too. So, if your truck has sway control, I'm not sure you need WDH with sway control.

I plan to get the ETI $350 WDH without sway control, for my new Escape 21. The max trailer weight is 5000#'s, so if fully loaded, trailer tongue weight could be anywhere from 500# to 750# when properly loaded. My current trailer has tongue weight of approx 450#'s and I tow without WDH, but the back of the truck is setting just a little low. I figure, I definitely need WDH for Escape 21, because it will have more tongue weight.

I also use the portable water tank to adjust trailer weight distribution. Don't know where the tank is on the Escape 21, but guessing it's toward the back like on my Casita.

I also plan on getting the electric tongue jack mainly because I will be using WDH. Just seems like I will need to be raising and lowering the trailer tongue a few more times with the WDH. If I wasn't getting WDH, I would probably not get the electric tongue jack. I use to air up my TV and trailer tires with a manual air pump too, but recently got a fancy 12volt air pump and 50' hose. How many of you air up trailer tires to 50psi with a manual air pump?, not me anymore.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #105

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have the electric jack and WDH you are getting. Only use the Pro Series or "Equalizer" as ETI calls it(should lose that) for long distances. It is easy to hook up though and I don't have to use the jack to do it, however really glad to have the power jack. To many turns up & down otherwise .
Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #106
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I never see it mentioned, but modern p/ups often come with built in sway control, my 2009 Tundra has it, and I think the current F150's have it too. So, if your truck has sway control, I'm not sure you need WDH with sway control.
The F150 with the tow package does have a sway control feature, but it doesn't work the same way a sway control mechanism does at the hitch. When it senses sway, it can apply brakes to one or more wheels, and it can also reduce the tow vehicle speed, in order to bring sway under control. The sway control on a typical WDH or anti-sway bar works quite differently, dampening sway, hopefully before it occurs. On My Andersen hitch, it dampens sway by use of the friction material that surrounds the hitch ball pin.

Because of the difference in how hitch or WDH based sway control works, and how tow vehicle based sway control works, there's nothing wrong with having sway control on your hitch as well as the vehicle, at least in the case of the F150.

Having said that, the most effective way to prevent sway is adequate tongue weight, and a properly loaded trailer.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #107

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Because my car owner's manual says it needs sway control for a trailer greater than 2000 lbs, I will have it to avoid any insurance problems.

I will choose between the two wdh/sway control models that ETI offers. I have never used one and from reading here it sounds like the E2 is easier to use and allows more flexibility to back up.

Any advice before I let them know I want the E2?