Do we need weight distribution hitch, max. tongue weight 1040 lbs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Do we need weight distribution hitch, max. tongue weight 1040 lbs

Tundra CrewMax 2013, V8. Max tongue weight 1040 lbs, GVWR 6800-7000, maximum "towing capacity" 9900 lbs if that matters.

do i need a weight distribution hitch for a 21'? we figured on getting the sway control for safety and new towers, but don't know about WDH.
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wouldn't think you need WDH or sway control if you have a properly loaded trailer. I'd start with that.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I doubt very much that you *need* a WDH with that setup. Buuut, I’ll also say that a WDH will make the trailer feel like it’s part of the truck. We have an F150 with even higher towing capacity than your Tundra. It tows just fine without the WDH. But it tows sublimely with it.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I doubt very much that you *need* a WDH with that setup. Buuut, I’ll also say that a WDH will make the trailer feel like it’s part of the truck. We have an F150 with even higher towing capacity than your Tundra. It tows just fine without the WDH. But it tows sublimely with it.
hm. my husband is wary of driving his family around with no big towing experience. i think sublimely will appeal to him!
Old 01-22-2018, 01:59 AM   #5

And one other thing...if you’re getting a WDH, it is *much* easier to hook up and unhook if you also get an electric tongue jack. Just saying.

Kaching, kaching. Sorry.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #6

Quote:
And one other thing...if you’re getting a WDH, it is *much* easier to hook up and unhook if you also get an electric tongue jack. Just saying.

Kaching, kaching. Sorry.
don't do this to me. can you explain? my husband says, "I refuse!"
Old 01-22-2018, 02:08 AM   #7

So, WDH’s have big spring bars. There are two ways to attach them. One is to use a special tool that amounts to a crow bar to force them into place. The easier way though is to raise the trailer nose up high enough so the bars just slip on. Do the same thing to take them off. If you have a hand crank jack this amounts to a lot of cranking, every time you hook up or unhook. We had a manual jack and WDH on our 17 that we traveled all over in for a year. Our 19 has an electric jack, purchased without a moment’s hesitation or doubt. Hallelujah.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
If you don't get a WDH then you must be careful with loading your trailer. Your tongue weight should be around 10% - 15% of the total weight of your trailer. Check frequently and perhaps a tongue weight scale would be a good idea. Get one with a 1000 lb scale ... Sherline makes them.

Be safe,

Tom
Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 AM   #9

Trailer: None now
Quote:

Kaching, kaching. Sorry.
Only bad thing about the electric hitch is trying to leave real early. You are not going to be quiet when you raise or lower it.
On the 19's the electric hitch is an easy add on if I decided I want one. The 21 and the 17 I imagine are not as easy to do since the battery is not in the front.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:13 AM   #10

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
If you don't get a WDH then you must be careful with loading your trailer. Your tongue weight should be around 10% - 15% of the total weight of your trailer. Check frequently and perhaps a tongue weight scale would be a good idea. Get one with a 1000 lb scale ... Sureline makes them.

Be safe,

Tom

There is also this one if you would like to save $100 plus
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...le/A-p8686024e

Here is the link about it on here.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post233445
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:25 AM   #11

i'm doing some serious damage with all of my questions!

good explanation. the power jack sounds like a good option with the WDH. is it really that loud? my husband is convinced he's too manly for a power jack. as he lies on the floor bc of his flared up old back injury.

the WDH hitch sounds like a good idea if otherwise we'll have to be so careful about tongue weight. with it we can be a little more carefree with loading, right? so $150 for WDH, $295 for power jack, $100 for sound-dampening cover when using early in the AM
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 AM   #12

Yeah, they are kinda loud. But oddly, far less so if you’re the one using it. It’s the other peoples’ that just grate. Fortunately, a tongue jack is only used briefly for a minute or two, unlike other annoyances, like the people who run generators willy nilly at obnoxious hours or for hours upon hours.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Only bad thing about the electric hitch is trying to leave real early. You are not going to be quiet when you raise or lower it.
On the 19's the electric hitch is an easy add on if I decided I want one. The 21 and the 17 I imagine are not as easy to do since the battery is not in the front.
please forgive me, I'm so ignorant of this hitch stuff. I'm considering ordering the WDH separately to find a cheaper price. i suppose i won't want to do this with the electric hitch for the rationale above. do I need to have ETI install the WDH so that they can install the electric jack, or are those two separate issues?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:16 AM   #14

https://www.etrailer.com/p-FA94-00-0...hhmodel=Tundra

is this the WDH with sway control that ETI sells? is this also an equalizer hitch, or is that something you need in addition to this/don't need if you get this?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #15

Those are separate issues. While possible that you might save a couple bucks if you hunt for deals, you likely won’t save much, and if ETI installs these, they’ll do it right and stand behind them.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Those are separate issues. While possible that you might save a couple bucks if you hunt for deals, you likely won’t save much, and if ETI installs these, they’ll do it right and stand behind them.
i wasn't sure if I showed up with my own hitch, would ETI install it. if i found the right one, the price difference is enough to get me an ETI electric jack, but if ETI isn't installing the hitch i buy online, it's not worth the hassle.

don't want to undermine ETI, just getting to be a rapid climb at the end here!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:34 AM   #17

I don’t know if they would install it or not, you’d have to ask them. Remember in your comparison shopping that ETI prices are in Canadian, and I think the exchange rate still gives us a significant discount just for being on this side of the border.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 AM   #18

Quote:
I don’t know if they would install it or not, you’d have to ask them. Remember in your comparison shopping that ETI prices are in Canadian, and I think the exchange rate still gives us a significant discount just for being on this side of the border.
yep. got that. i'm finding some things yes, some things no.

on exchange rate we'll pay 5% more as of now than we would've if we'd stuck with our original date! bummer! hopefully it stays put or goes down in the next few months!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:21 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All of these items mentioned can be added very easily after towing the trailer. You may not need some or any of them, based upon your experience. The power back may interfere with your truck bed access while hooked up. there are also air bags you can install to keep the rear of the truck level, a lot less $$$ than the w/d set up and a lot easier to use. I have a garage full of items I thought I needed and afterwards realized they were not. why not wait and see....
Old 01-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All of these items mentioned can be added very easily after towing the trailer. You may not need some or any of them, based upon your experience. The power back may interfere with your truck bed access while hooked up. there are also air bags you can install to keep the rear of the truck level, a lot less $$$ than the w/d set up and a lot easier to use. I have a garage full of items I thought I needed and afterwards realized they were not. why not wait and see....
HI; cpaharley2008... Every time we take "Our escape hatch II" 5.0TA out I'm happy with the power landing gear. My "Power back" thinks they're wonderful too!!! She just has to push the buttons to raise and lower the trailer to/from the hitch. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote