Do you need a WDH to pull a Escape 19? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Do you need a WDH to pull a Escape 19?

I'm thinking of getting either Toyota Highlander or a new Hyundai Santa Fe (the long wheel base version). Both are V6 and both have 3 rows of seats. The Santa Fe is a bit longer and the wheelbase is a bit longer too. The engine is also a bit more powerful. Both are rated to pull 5000lb.

Do I need a WDH on either of these vehicles if I choose to pull the Escape 19?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I have a 2012 Santa Fe and the WDH is recommended for all SUV's especially with primary FWD/AWD and unibody construction. One caution, Hyundai mileage is notoriously inaccurate. I am getting 25% less than stated for around town; 15 mpg unloaded. It is also worse on the highway. This is the first vehicle that I have ever purchased where the mileage was worse than was stated. JD Power and Associates now lists this as a major complaint among Santa Fe owners. There are also lots of quality control issues on the build, at least there are on my 2012. My advice- go with the Toyota. Good luck! Tim
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Definitely the Highlander, and yes to the WDH. That's what Rick and Laura use to pull their 19, I'd suggest you PM him.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Everything I've read said that even if you don't need WDH, it does improve the stability and quality of your ride. I'm planning on going with a WDH with a Nissan Frontier when the time comes.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Thanks guys, looks like WDH all the way!

As for Santa Fe vs Highlander - I will need to look into it more carefully.

I currently own 2012 Sonata Limited 4cyl and it is the most trouble free car I have ever owned. Zero issues in 2.5 years.

I was never able to get the listed mileage from any of my past cars, this one included. Having said that, I thought its highway mileage is pretty impressive - around 34mpg on the highways around my town. This is about the same as what I used to get from Civic while back.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Just catching up . . . As Bruce said, we pull our 19 Escape with a 2008 Highlander. And yes we use a WDH.

A good combination of a everyday driver and a tow vehicle, just like Jim Bennett's description of his Honda Pilot.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
The traffic on the 427, 401, 407, QEW and Don Valley Parkway must have improved dramatically since I left there three years ago, especially in rush hour

"It's quicker to go slow" &
"You're only young once, you're a helluva long time dead"
Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixhiccup View Post
The traffic on the 427, 401, 407, QEW and Don Valley Parkway must have improved dramatically since I left there three years ago, especially in rush hour
During rush hours, of course its pretty bad.

But outside that, its not that bad. I averaged from my house to Niagara Falls return trip, averaging around 35mpg as well.

I have a friend who also owns 2013 Sonata and he never exceeds the limit. He consistently gets over 38mpg... He lives in St Catherines but needs to travel back to Toronto often.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
From Escape trailers :

What does an equalizer hitch do ?

The EQ hitch evenly distributes the trailer tongue weight of the trailer throughout the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle and the trailer axle. All front wheel drive vehicles will require an equalizer hitch.

Thank you for your interest in the Escape Trailer.

We have had a couple of people ask for a sway bar however, it is not something that people request very often. The key to preventing sway is loading the trailer properly; maintaining a 15% hitch weight. In the 19’ Escape we offer a permanent queen bed in the back of the trailer with storage underneath this storage space is easily accessible and is often filled before any of the storage compartments in the front of the trailer are used.

The equalizer hitch we offer does not include a sway control feature however it does distribute the weight evenly throughout the frame of the tow vehicle and trailer maintaining a positive hitch weight.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think saying these hitches distribute the weight evenly is not exactly true. Yes, it does distribute the weight, but in no way does it equally. Wheel base length of the tow, axle to tongue length of the trailer, and the way both units are loaded will all play on the degree of distribution.

I kinda think that is why most manufacturers now mostly call them a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch), and they do in fact distribute the weight is a beneficial way, but not that the weight is distributed equally.

THIS Andersen WDH that Dave had linked to before does have sway control, I know little about it, but it does look like a nice simpler and lighter system, which would be way easier to store when not needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our weight transferred is about 300 lbs. You can check it on a truck scale. We have 100 lbs. going back to the trailer and the rest up to the front of the tow.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Re Highlander vs. Santa Fe
When I suggested Highlander over SantaFe (which we have) I neglected to mention that we too, had another Hyundai, an Elantra which has been a great car! In fact, it was the Elantra, that made us feel good about getting a Santa Fe. For some reason, the Santa Fe has not worked out nearly as well, hence my suggestion about looking closer at the Highlander for your tow vehicle. Good luck on your research and decision making for both the tow and the Escape!
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Re Highlander vs. Santa Fe
When I suggested Highlander over SantaFe (which we have) I neglected to mention that we too, had another Hyundai, an Elantra which has been a great car! In fact, it was the Elantra, that made us feel good about getting a Santa Fe. For some reason, the Santa Fe has not worked out nearly as well, hence my suggestion about looking closer at the Highlander for your tow vehicle. Good luck on your research and decision making for both the tow and the Escape!
Thanks for the info.

2012 - is that the latest generation or is it one gen before the current one? Hyundai seems to have made a huge jump in their latest generation Sonata and Santa Fe. I'm hoping that the new Santa Fe will be as good as my Sonata.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Check tow rating on new Santa Fe. Apparently you have to get the 7 seat version to get the 3,500 lb. tow rating. The standard version has been downgraded, like everything else.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #15

Actually, the 5 seat version does 3500lb. 7 seat version will do 5000lb. And the 7 seat version only comes with V6.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
OK. I stand corrected. My buddy has a Santa Fe and doesn't want to buy the 7 seat to get the V6.