Dodge Ram 1500 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #1

Dodge Ram 1500

Got a problem finding the right 5th Wheeler.
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 4X4 with a Hemi. (of course it's a short box too, but 6 foot 4 inches
Lots of power but the payload isn't very good. I can take up to 1360# in the box
tow about 7500#
Soooo, after looking for a 5th wheeler that has a hitch light enough for us, most people on RV.net say I need to find a very light weight 5th wheel. I found one that would be very borderline as in.. I can't carry much at all extra.
So here I stumbled the Escape 5.0
Looks really good I like the fiberglass idea.
Anyways, now I'm disheartened once again, it seems that the truck is too big for this.
Anyone tow the 5.0 with a Dodge Ram 4X4??

boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #2

Re: Dodge Ram 1500

By too big, do you mean the bed is too tall?

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...There's one owner of a 5.0 in Texas I believe towing with a full size Dodge pickup. Tonka Truck yellow with matching graphics on the trailer. Don't know how new or if it's a 4X4...was a calender pin up pic. last month. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
By too big, do you mean the bed is too tall?
I wonder if it's too tall or the box too deep
4x4 on 20 inch wheels
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

Boubou

Have a look at http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=267.0

As Alf said, there is a reference to Dayna Caldwell, and even an email address, dkaycaldwell@yahoo.com

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #6

Hi: boubou... The major measurement is from the ground to the top of the box sides @ the axle. Our S/Bx. 4X2 V6 GMC is 51" and I think 53-54"'s. is the max. with a lift on the trailer axle. With a 4X4 and changing down your wheel size you'd be to tall, as the 5.0 is really designed for a Ranger, Dakota or Canyon. The alternative is to switch thinking and go with a 19' straight trailer. Not a bad option IMHO!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
hooked on you2.jpg   bridge to PEI..jpg  
Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Alf's right (again)! The box height is too tall for the Escape 5.0. Alf's and Dayna's works because their Tow Vehicles are 2 wheel drive.
What to do? Sell the Dodge, get a Nissan Frontier and the 5.0, and you'll be one happy camper : - )
Or, all the owner's of the 19' trailers are (almost) as extremely happy : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #8

Hi: HokieEscape...YUP!!! Get outta Dodge and into the Frontier Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. I try not to be to right...all the time!!! I'm right when I say Escapes got it RIGHT!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #9

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT

Another option to consider is larger tires on the trailer with the high lift axle. Also, lower profiles on the truck would help to reduce the truck height. If i am correct the max measurement is at the back of the truck (tailgate), the measurement being 54". Another option is too use a fifth wheel hitch extender, which will push the trailer further away from the truck, giving more clearance as the trailer height tapers upward as you go towards the front.

Ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #10

My Shirley and I just saw Dayna's setup today up in the Grand Lake, Colorado area. What a neat lady and such a sweet little girl. Got to meet Dayna's parents too, and they are also great folks. We really got a super tour of the 5.0 (Escape should hire Jacqueline (sp?) to film a detailed tour of the trailer. She is such a kick.

Anyway, our bell is certainly "rung" but we have to work through some issues first:

I have a Chevrolet 1999 Tahoe that we pull our Casita with. We'll have to switch to a Pickup and we are starting to look this week. The tips in this thread are a good start. I welcome any additional comments from you folks.

Regards,

Keith Williams
Aurora, Colorado

anvilmanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #11

Sorry, I should have read further down and all the same, basically, questions posted. It seems to me that the Nissan Frontier is a good place to start. I just need to find out specifically what one should look for in PU Truck shopping, besides towing capacity. Like, turning radius, ideal bed length, bed side heights, etc.

I really don't think I need a 4WD, even here in Colorado. My "old fart philsophy" is that if it's that bad out, I shouldn't be driving. Now, I understand one can get caught unsuspecting, but that's pretty rare I think,

Anyway, thanks for all the good tips.

Keith
Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #12

Hi: anvilmanco...Keith if it were me ordering a new pickup I would look seriously at the Nissan Crew Cab Se 4dr.4X2 V6 Long box. You don't get the box rails or the roof rack for Canoes but you get lots of doors to take the Grands along and loads of power to tug with. I think they come as a really nicely dressed package. I really think with this truck/trailer combo we could survive well with only one vehicle. I think that time in our lives is fast approaching. Of course YMMV Alf
escape artist N.S.of Lake Erie
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #13

Thanks for the input. It's funny that you're going down to 1 car and we are planning on that too. I retired in 2004, but started selling Promotional Advertising products for the Vernon Company about 3 years ago. I wanted to make some Mad-Money and needed to be involved again. Retirement is great but I guess I'm like my Brother-in-law; "I'm going to burn out, not rust out". I work it part-time, no-time, whenever I'm in the mood-time.

Anyway, both of our vehicles are at the point where we need to dump them and consolidate to one. The plan is to get a new vehicle, that will pull our Casita LD 17ft and then get the 5.0 as soon as we can. I'm going out this week and look into the Nissan. I respect your, and other's opinions on these matters.

I still think you should come to Colorado in September for our Get-together. It would be a blast to have you here. ( You too Hokie!)

I'll keep you posted.
Regards,
Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #14

Hi: anvilmanco...Keith same holds for you. We're only 1 1/2 hrs east of Detroit and 4min. from the lake. As a mater of fact I just came in from cleaning the truck...now the trailer!!! We're headed for a couple of days camping at Pt. Burwell Provincial Pk. www.ontarioparks.com Just far enough away to RELAX!!! Alf
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #15

Hi Keith. We'd love to make it back out to Colorado, but it won't be this fall. Wish we could.
As you've probably read, I love my Nissan Frontier. Only thing I don't like is the more limited turning radius, but it's not that bad. Other wise, comfort, power, looks....I don't think you can beat it. It seems a perfect match for the 5.0 to me. Zips up mountains like it's flat land (except the RPM goes up a little : -0 ). Definitely the long bed, and we have 4 doors to haul grandkids. The level of finish is up to you, but the LE has the roof rack if you desire to haul any boats or bikes on top.
You'll love the 5.0. We keep Hokie ready to go. If we don't go anywhere, every couple of weeks I drain the fresh water and refill, so it's fresh! Last Wed night we got the sad call that my Mom in Law suddenly and unexpectedly passed. In less than 30 minutes, we had clothes in the camper, hooked up, and were on the road for an 8 1/2 hour trip to Indiana. Had our own private space, and slept like babies (except that 1st night when I drove until 5:30 AM : - ( But the point is, the 5.0 is so easy to hook up and pull, you can be "out of here" in a flash! You'll love it!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #16

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement and kind words. I truly think the 5.0 and the Frontier are the ideal setup for Shirley and I. I just can't wait to get there. We've had 2 Pop-Ups (Shirley calls them the work of the Devil) a 28 foot BARTH Class A, a Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe, a 21 foot Rear Bed Bigfoot, a Park Model RV in Mesa, AZ, and now another Casita 17 only Liberty Deluxe. The only thing we haven't had is a 5th wheel and I just refuse to even consider a huge "Moby Dick" , as I call them, 5th wheel.

We love traveling with an RV, the convenience, cleanliness (at least it's our own grunge) and I feel the cheapest overall way to go. You eat better and it's just more fun. I was a "road warrior" sales type for many years and it just really pains me to have to drag everything in and out of a hotel and then know they really didn't clean it right.

Anyway, i can really see where the 5.0 would be so much easier than even the Casita to hook up and go. We'll get there it just is going to take a bit of time. Looking forward to meeting up with you in the future.

Hokie, sorry about your Mom-in-law. It's always hard to lose a loved one. My Mom is almost 98 and still drives. She's in Auburn, Indiana and I'm sure we'll be back through there in late September to see her.

Regards,

Keith Williams
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #17

You'll love the 5.0 Keith, and you'll certainly have plenty of comparison!
Thanks, we're gonna miss Mom. Speaking of your Mom, reminds me of these 4 old ladies playing cards in the nursing home.
One of them said, "My eyes are getting so bad, I can hardly read these cards!"
The second one said, "What's that? My hearing is getting so bad, I almost have to read your lips!"
The third one said, "Well my arthritis is getting so bad, I can hardly move one foot in front of the other!"
The fourth one said, "Oh you guys quit complaining...At least we can still drive!"
Old 08-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #18

Hi: All...Just got home from a couple of steamy days at the beach. No breeze in the trees, and so hazy on the water!!! One of the few time we haven't been bothered by campers wanting tours.
Sorry to hear of your Mom-in-law Dan. Our sympathies go out to you both. Hope your quick trip to Indiana went ok. No flat tires on HokieEscape from running them to fast. Alf
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
You'll love the 5.0 Keith, and you'll certainly have plenty of comparison!
Thanks, we're gonna miss Mom. Speaking of your Mom, reminds me of these 4 old ladies playing cards in the nursing home.
One of them said, "My eyes are getting so bad, I can hardly read these cards!"
The second one said, "What's that? My hearing is getting so bad, I almost have to read your lips!"
The third one said, "Well my arthritis is getting so bad, I can hardly move one foot in front of the other!"
The fourth one said, "Oh you guys quit complaining...At least we can still drive!"
I really hope we can pull it off sometime in the next 12 months. You know, it's always hard to do the "right" thing when you don't have a lot of excess money. And, with the way our government....don't get me started.....is going, we will have even less. But, on the other hand, 100 years from now it won't matter. So, we'll see.

Your joke reminded me of the guy that went to visit his elderly Aunt in a Nursing home. He said, "Auntie, do you know who I am?" She said, "no, but if you go down to the front desk, they'll tell you".

While I was reading your post, the phone rang and it was Mom. What a coinicidence. She had been to the Dr about her ankles swelling, and he said all her tests came out real good and it was still OK for her to drive. So, watch out for a little white Toyota 91 Camry if you go to Auburn, In. She doesn't drive at night so keep that in mind.

Regards to all.

Keith Williams
Old 08-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: All...Just got home from a couple of steamy days at the beach. No breeze in the trees, and so hazy on the water!!! One of the few time we haven't been bothered by campers wanting tours.
Sorry to hear of your Mom-in-law Dan. Our sympathies go out to you both. Hope your quick trip to Indiana went ok. No flat tires on HokieEscape from running them to fast. Alf
No, but one of the latest posts tells me I'd better change the tires after 3, not 4 years. I do all the wrong things, particularly drive over 60! We probably averaged a little over 70mph on I-64 going to Indiana, running for 2 1/2 - 3 hrs segments. But, no blowouts thankfully! Hokie performed admirably!