Dodge RAM eco/diesel hauling a 5.0TA ?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlbua View Post
I used an ecodiesel(laramie longhorn) towing 5.0TA for most of 2015 logging 26,000 miles and mostly travelling the western states. 15-17 mpg average while towing. oil change cost $90.00 doing it myself using the mobil Euro synthetic oil (12 quarts is $80.00 online). Filter is $10.00 online.
I liked this truck very much except for the payload capacity (875 lbs) and the short bed (5"7").
Just for comparison, with a 2012 3.5L Ecoboost Supercab longbed 2200 lbs payload I get 13-13.5 towing the 5.0TA, 17-18 with no tow. Runs me $25 for Quaker State synthetic and $5 for the Motorcraft filter.

Phlbua, what do you get without a tow? I put on more miles that way.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
After reading about lower payload numbers, I checked with Ram about ours and received an email that said our 2016 4WD Crew Cab with self leveling air suspension was 1330 pounds.

With a tongue weight in the 480 pound range, that gives us an acceptable payload of 850. The truck tows uphill and downhill very comfortably. Several times a day, I have to check the mirrors to see if the trailer is still back there.

Not sure if it would be this easy with the TA, but from what I have been told, I may never get to find out.

Bill
Bill, our tugs are similar, except you have the crew cab and air suspension as well as the Rambox which I envy, but either way our payload is about 100 lbs more. I tossed and turned over the new 5.0 and the pin weight of 8-900lbs and the additional trailer weight and decided I liked having the truck bed as well as less wear and tear over the new model and went with the 19 tow behind, a proven model from my past.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just for comparison, with a 2012 3.5L Ecoboost Supercab longbed 2200 lbs payload I get 13-13.5 towing the 5.0TA, 17-18 with no tow. Runs me $25 for Quaker State synthetic and $5 for the Motorcraft filter.

Phlbua, what do you get without a tow? I put on more miles that way.
I was getting 22-24 not towing
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #14

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowlee View Post
I read the previous threads on the Ram eco diesel, but there wasn't much info on fuel efficiency... Quality and reliability has been an issue with Dodge in the past, but they have upped their game recently. I love the Chevy, but I'm getting really annoyed with all the factory call-backs (most minor headaches). I generally don't keep trucks too much past their powertrain warrantee so I'm covered on the big stuff. When I fully retire (if that ever really happens) and I put on the serious miles, I'll be looking for fuel efficiency. There is no question that the Ford is the easiest choice when it comes to trucks that are purchased to work... The new NissanXD diesel missed the mark all together where it fell in between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 with fuel efficiency that almost mirrored the performance of the 5.7gas version at a premium price. What can I say? I just like diesels. I have a 3.0L Audi V6 TDI in my Lobster Boat mated to a ZF63A gear and it's amazing (no it wasn't involved in the VW emission fiasco). The engine has been in the boat since 2011 and I have paid for the engine with the fuel saving based on 300hrs of operation per year over the cost of a comparable gas engine. I digress.
I know, "Apples and Oranges"
Charlie
2016+ Rams supposedly retain the 5 year/100k mileage warranty on Diesel (not gas). Nissan recently did this too trying to boost Titan HD sales.
of course they all sell extended warranties.

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote