Dodge RAM eco/diesel hauling a 5.0TA ?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Dodge RAM eco/diesel hauling a 5.0TA ??

I recently spotted a Dodge Ram eco/diesel towing a 5.0TA in Wells, ME. I attempted to identify and contact the owner through this forum, but got no response. Fair enough - I suspect there are plenty of Escape owners who do not participate in this forum. If there is anyone out there who owns that combination of truck and trailer, could you share with me/us your real world performance and mileage numbers. I watched a youtube video of the Dodge eco/diesel in a matchup comparison where the truck was matched against itself (eco/diesel vs V6 gas) using an extreme tow situation where the trucks were maxed out on payload and climbing... Very interesting, but nowhere near what would be required to haul a 5.0TA. My truck will haul my new 5.0TA with no trouble at all, but at some point the truck will have to be replaced and I'm just looking down the road... No pun intended.

Charlie
Soon to be 5.0TA owner
2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3L w/tow package (20-22 MPG empty highway mileage)
chowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowlee View Post
I watched a youtube video of the Dodge eco/diesel in a matchup comparison where the truck was matched against itself (eco/diesel vs V6 gas) using an extreme tow situation where the trucks were maxed out on payload and climbing... Very interesting, but nowhere near what would be required to haul a 5.0TA.
That's an interesting comparison, but probably not a reasonable one. These two engines are of similar overall mechanical configuration (V6, DOHC, etc) and displacement, but they are very different. The EcoDiesel is a much heavier and complex design... with a turbocharger or two. The EcoDiesel V6 versus a tubocharged gasoline V6 like Ford's EcoBoost would be a more reasonable comparison, but no single pickup truck manufacturer offers both of those engine designs in the same truck.
Ram (1500) and GM (Colorado/Canyon): turbodiesel versus non-turbo gasoline
Ford (F-150): turbocharged gasoline versus larger non-turbo gasoline (no diesel)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As of a few months ago, there were at least three known Ram 1500 EcoDiesel / 5.0TA combinations run by forum members:
Towing with a 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel (post #13)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
I read the previous threads on the Ram eco diesel, but there wasn't much info on fuel efficiency... Quality and reliability has been an issue with Dodge in the past, but they have upped their game recently. I love the Chevy, but I'm getting really annoyed with all the factory call-backs (most minor headaches). I generally don't keep trucks too much past their powertrain warrantee so I'm covered on the big stuff. When I fully retire (if that ever really happens) and I put on the serious miles, I'll be looking for fuel efficiency. There is no question that the Ford is the easiest choice when it comes to trucks that are purchased to work... The new NissanXD diesel missed the mark all together where it fell in between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 with fuel efficiency that almost mirrored the performance of the 5.7gas version at a premium price. What can I say? I just like diesels. I have a 3.0L Audi V6 TDI in my Lobster Boat mated to a ZF63A gear and it's amazing (no it wasn't involved in the VW emission fiasco). The engine has been in the boat since 2011 and I have paid for the engine with the fuel saving based on 300hrs of operation per year over the cost of a comparable gas engine. I digress.
I know, "Apples and Oranges"
Charlie
chowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too am a huge fan of diesels and their tow capacity with good fuel economy. My experience though is with larger pickups. My first was the first Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel. That thing had an unbelievable amount of torque, it was just too bad the truck supporting it kept falling apart.

For the last 20 plus years I have always owned a Ford Powerstroke, with a couple 7.3 litre ones, and now a 7.6 litre model. Fortunately I skipped the troublesome 6.0 litre model. They have been very good trucks for me towing various construction trailers, but in my mind are much too big for a permanent tow vehicle for an Escape.

There just does not seem like a lot of good options for diesel engines in North America, though there are throughout the world. Having something 1/2 wise at the largest, with a good cargo capacity, powered by a diesel engine would be ideal in my mind.

When buying I did look at the Dodge pickup with the EcoDiesel. While it was not too bad to drive, for the price it did not offer enough in performance to consider it, plus the fit and finish inside the 2015 I test drove looked very outdated. There are a few others here though who have them and love them. Competition is a good thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
For those who have no experience with the cost of running a diesel the sticker price of a oil change on the EcoDiesel will give your heart a shock. $200 at the dealer or about $150 if you do it your self.
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I used an ecodiesel(laramie longhorn) towing 5.0TA for most of 2015 logging 26,000 miles and mostly travelling the western states. 15-17 mpg average while towing. oil change cost $90.00 doing it myself using the mobil Euro synthetic oil (12 quarts is $80.00 online). Filter is $10.00 online.
I liked this truck very much except for the payload capacity (875 lbs) and the short bed (5"7"). The dealer had me sign an acknowledgement about it's payload capacity and that bothered me.
If I have to do it again, I would go for the standard bed(6'-4") and larger payload of the other models like the outdoorsman.
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used to check the oil upon returning home after having it changed. I would check the level and inspect how clean the oil was.
First time I did that with my diesel I was shocked, the oil looked black and dirty, as if they had not changed it. If I had not watched the oil change I would have raised hell. The oil really gets a work out in the diesel motor.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
After reading about lower payload numbers, I checked with Ram about ours and received an email that said our 2016 4WD Crew Cab with self leveling air suspension was 1330 pounds.

With a tongue weight in the 480 pound range, that gives us an acceptable payload of 850. The truck tows uphill and downhill very comfortably. Several times a day, I have to check the mirrors to see if the trailer is still back there.

Not sure if it would be this easy with the TA, but from what I have been told, I may never get to find out.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I used to check the oil upon returning home after having it changed. I would check the level and inspect how clean the oil was.
First time I did that with my diesel I was shocked, the oil looked black and dirty, as if they had not changed it. If I had not watched the oil change I would have raised hell. The oil really gets a work out in the diesel motor.
Jim,
I've now had a Jetta diesel for 7 years, and now the Ram. Both vehicles have a factory designated oil change interval of 10,000 miles. This has been very disconcerting to me since I've always used synthetic oil in our gas engine cars and changed more often--5,000 to 7500.
From what I've read, fresh oil in a diesel can be expected to be inky black very soon after an oil change--just a few days.

I'm learning to live with both the oil change interval and the black oil. Now I have 22 months to decide whether to turn in the Jetta or let VW bog down the engine. Jetta has 91,000 miles and has been trouble free and great fun to drive.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlbua View Post
I used an ecodiesel(laramie longhorn) towing 5.0TA for most of 2015 logging 26,000 miles and mostly travelling the western states. 15-17 mpg average while towing. oil change cost $90.00 doing it myself using the mobil Euro synthetic oil (12 quarts is $80.00 online). Filter is $10.00 online.
I liked this truck very much except for the payload capacity (875 lbs) and the short bed (5"7").
Just for comparison, with a 2012 3.5L Ecoboost Supercab longbed 2200 lbs payload I get 13-13.5 towing the 5.0TA, 17-18 with no tow. Runs me $25 for Quaker State synthetic and $5 for the Motorcraft filter.

Phlbua, what do you get without a tow? I put on more miles that way.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
After reading about lower payload numbers, I checked with Ram about ours and received an email that said our 2016 4WD Crew Cab with self leveling air suspension was 1330 pounds.

With a tongue weight in the 480 pound range, that gives us an acceptable payload of 850. The truck tows uphill and downhill very comfortably. Several times a day, I have to check the mirrors to see if the trailer is still back there.

Not sure if it would be this easy with the TA, but from what I have been told, I may never get to find out.

Bill
Bill, our tugs are similar, except you have the crew cab and air suspension as well as the Rambox which I envy, but either way our payload is about 100 lbs more. I tossed and turned over the new 5.0 and the pin weight of 8-900lbs and the additional trailer weight and decided I liked having the truck bed as well as less wear and tear over the new model and went with the 19 tow behind, a proven model from my past.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just for comparison, with a 2012 3.5L Ecoboost Supercab longbed 2200 lbs payload I get 13-13.5 towing the 5.0TA, 17-18 with no tow. Runs me $25 for Quaker State synthetic and $5 for the Motorcraft filter.

Phlbua, what do you get without a tow? I put on more miles that way.
I was getting 22-24 not towing
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #14

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowlee View Post
I read the previous threads on the Ram eco diesel, but there wasn't much info on fuel efficiency... Quality and reliability has been an issue with Dodge in the past, but they have upped their game recently. I love the Chevy, but I'm getting really annoyed with all the factory call-backs (most minor headaches). I generally don't keep trucks too much past their powertrain warrantee so I'm covered on the big stuff. When I fully retire (if that ever really happens) and I put on the serious miles, I'll be looking for fuel efficiency. There is no question that the Ford is the easiest choice when it comes to trucks that are purchased to work... The new NissanXD diesel missed the mark all together where it fell in between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 with fuel efficiency that almost mirrored the performance of the 5.7gas version at a premium price. What can I say? I just like diesels. I have a 3.0L Audi V6 TDI in my Lobster Boat mated to a ZF63A gear and it's amazing (no it wasn't involved in the VW emission fiasco). The engine has been in the boat since 2011 and I have paid for the engine with the fuel saving based on 300hrs of operation per year over the cost of a comparable gas engine. I digress.
I know, "Apples and Oranges"
Charlie
2016+ Rams supposedly retain the 5 year/100k mileage warranty on Diesel (not gas). Nissan recently did this too trying to boost Titan HD sales.
of course they all sell extended warranties.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote