Double tow with a 5.0TA? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Double tow with a 5.0TA?

My wife and I recently purchased a “new to us” Polaris RZR and we want to take it with us when we dry camp. We have been considering selling the 5.0 and buying a toy hauler. My neighbor suggested double towing, it’s very common here in AZ. I talked to a local welding shop that specializes in installing hitches and they said it would be no problem installing a hitch rated at 3500 lbs. Total weight would be about 1800 lbs and tongue weight with the RZR would be a guess, 400 lbs? I do have a couple of concerns. First would be the strength of the frame, is it strong enough to take the additional weight? The second would be resale value? I would also love to see Reace rolling his eyes if he is shown this post! No decisions have been made yet, just trying to figure out what will work best for us. All constructive feedback appreciated.

Disclaimer:The photos posted below are for demonstration only, I did not pull my 5.0 in this configuration. The jack on the trailer was lowered to take all hitch weight.
Attached Thumbnails
BB897DE0-C3CA-44D5-A4BF-52A9B89809EB.jpg   42D44AF2-BD52-48E0-BAE6-10F99DFB29B5a.jpg  
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
Old 05-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
ETI has installed double recievers before, and I believe I've seen a triple. If it's ETI that put on a triple, then one would think the frame could handle 450 lbs.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What is your truck's specifications for weight amounts towing?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is your truck's specifications for weight amounts towing?
2013 GMC Sierra 1500 with max tow package. Very capable for a half ton, 6.2 engine, 3.73 gears, almost 1800 lbs payload and rated to tow 10,400. I’m dreaming of a Ram 2500, but that’s for another post!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2011 voltage
anyone do this?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
If it where my 50 I’d worry about the frame. The other concern would be what happens to the pin weight when you hang 400 lbs off the rear of the trailer? 🤔 If you try it , keep us posted.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #7

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck 1 View Post
anyone do this?
I have double towed, jetskis, atvs, and dirtbikes behind everyone of my campers over the last 15 years. I have always had a large truck, currently a 2016 Tundra crew max 4wd, prior a 2002 Ford f250 7.3 crew 4x4. If setup properly, you should not have a problem.

On my last camper which was a Casita, I was always concerned with rear loaded weight. The Casita frame was a small c-channel. I installed a OMW hitch and towed a small light Aluma 638 trailer. This trailer is only 340 lbs 63" wide and 8ft long. Just big enough for three dirt bikes or one Honda Pioneer sxs, never a problem. I used a weight distributing hitch with sway control and had mounted a Honda eu3000 generator on the tongue. I Always had the front of the Aluma trailer nose down, and kept my speeds and safety margins in check. I plan on setting up our new 21 Escape to do the same thing. This same question was just asked over on Fiberglass Rv Forum, go check it out. A lot of members here are on there also. I wish that I had a picture of my setups over the years, as they have changed with the equipment that I have towed.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
If it where my 50 I’d worry about the frame. The other concern would be what happens to the pin weight when you hang 400 lbs off the rear of the trailer? �� If you try it , keep us posted.
The weight does not hang off of the rear of the RV the same as having a platform and 400lbs on the rear hitch. In the picture at the front of the post, if they change the rear trailer to a nose down position while on level ground and keep the RZR in the same place. The tongue weight of the rear trailer would be light enough to lift with one person. Most of the weight on a SXS is towards the rear of the unit, they will need to adjust the RZR fore and aft on the trailer to find the sweet spot, in regards to tongue weight.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Total weight would be about 1800 lbs and tongue weight with the RZR would be a guess, 400 lbs?
200 pounds would be a more reasonable tongue weight for an 1800 pound (gross weight) trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
If it where my 50 I’d worry about the frame. The other concern would be what happens to the pin weight when you hang 400 lbs off the rear of the trailer? 🤔 If you try it , keep us posted.
Measure (or estimate) the distance from the hitch ball on the back of the 5.0TA for the midpoint of the 5.0TA's two axles. Measure (or estimate) the distance from midpoint of the 5.0TA's two axles to the hitch pin. The ratio of the lengths is the ratio of rear trailer hitch weight to reduction of pin weight. If, for instance, axles to ball is one quarter of the axles to pin distance, the pin weight will be reduced by one quarter of the hitch weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
Most of the weight on a SXS is towards the rear of the unit, they will need to adjust the RZR fore and aft on the trailer to find the sweet spot, in regards to tongue weight.
I agree... and that will result in a couple hundred pounds of hitch weight, so maybe 50 pounds of pin weight reduction. Vertical load on the ball has the same effect on pin weight, whether it is the weight of a trailer tongue or the weight of cargo; however, the ball would be close to the bumper, while the centre of a cargo carrier load will be further back (due to the bulk of the cargo), making the effect on stability worse. On the other hand, the tongue of a trailer is much harder to control than the same weight of a concentrated mass mounted on the hitch.

I'm not concerned about the reduction of pin weight; I'm concerned about stability, due to lateral forces at the hitch with a trailer in the middle (the Escape) which is not a semi-trailer. This is basically building a B-train rig... but with the wrong trailers.

I realize that larger fifth-wheels are often used with second trailers - I've seen quite a few here over the years with boats of ATVs on the extra trailer. But those are typically a ton or two of extra trailer behind a 6 to 8 ton fifth-wheel (not a ton of trailer behind a two-ton Escape), and the fifth-wheel usually has the proportions to have 20% to 30% pin weight (not the 16% typical of a 5.0TA). Yes, it has worked for lots of people with much less sound configurations; lots of things have been done for many times and not gone terribly wrong... yet.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Triple towing rules vary by state so if you are on a multi-state trip you should be aware of the rules in the states you are traveling. It appears about half of US states allow it. Even when it is legal there are sometimes still restrictions to overall length and whether the trailer is behind another trailer or a 5th wheel.

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/
Old 12-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #11

I just want to be clear, I have double towed many times over the years. I cannot and will not speak in regards to others abilities or setups. The poster wanted to know had anyone double towed, I was answering this question. Can things go wrong.......yes. Should you drive in the fast lane like you stole it.......No. If you have a well thought out and stable towing system, this can be as safe as any other modification to a manufactured product. I stay in the slow lane, around the speed limit and try to have a vast stopping distance ahead of me.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #12

I was more interested in the abilities of the 5.0 being able to withstand the stress of adding a second trailer behind. So again.... has anyone actually hooked a trailer behind their 5.0 and will the 5.0 stand up or is the frame too light?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #13

Quote:
I was more interested in the abilities of the 5.0 being able to withstand the stress of adding a second trailer behind. So again.... has anyone actually hooked a trailer behind their 5.0 and will the 5.0 stand up or is the frame too light?
Perhaps a contact with the manufacturer would give you the correct answer.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
The issue of the frame was the primary reason why we did not install a tow hitch to our 5.0. I was concerned about the strength of the frame and also resale value. My concern was that a potential buyer would look at the hitch as a negative. In the end, we found a great buyer and our 5.0 is now living in TX. We are in the process of purchasing a toy hauler, which is ultimately better suited suited for our camping style here in AZ. Bob
Old 12-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #15

Quote:
The issue of the frame was the primary reason why we did not install a tow hitch to our 5.0. I was concerned about the strength of the frame and also resale value. My concern was that a potential buyer would look at the hitch as a negative. In the end, we found a great buyer and our 5.0 is now living in TX. We are in the process of purchasing a toy hauler, which is ultimately better suited suited for our camping style here in AZ. Bob
Thanks Bob, I had the over grown toyhauler deal and now want something usable but still able to bring toys on the days I want
Old 05-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 06 bigfoot
This is what we wanted to do as well. I talked to the factory and they said the frame would only handle an additional 150 lbs so they would not recommend towing a 2nd trailer. Talked with Scamp on their 5th wheel and I got the same story. We are still searching for an alternative besides a toy hauler or a monster stick built rig.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #17

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
Quote:
2013 GMC Sierra 1500 with max tow package. Very capable for a half ton, 6.2 engine, 3.73 gears, almost 1800 lbs payload and rated to tow 10,400. I’m dreaming of a Ram 2500, but that’s for another post!
We tow our 5th wheel 5.0 w GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 3.0L Diesel Turbo Double Cab, 10 speed - we installed a Reese goose ball hitch, and Reese pin-box air ride on the 5.0) - 10 ply Bridgestone tires on 20” wheels, 60 gal aux diesel tank auto fill and Bilstein reservoir shocks all around. The aux tank saves money as diesel prices vary state to state. Truck specially ordered for the 5.0), achieve 18 - 20 mpg @ 75 speed.
Dont feel the 5.0 at all!
Never try to tow with a vehicle thats not at least 20% heavier than your trailer, you want to pull the trailer, NOT have it pushing your tow vehicle! Plenty of torque too). Be SAFE!!
Old 05-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #18

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
Quote:
I pull my 18’ Sylvan w 150 Merc just fine behind my 5.0, its 2100 lbs, 240 lb hitch weight - had very little welding on the 5.0 Class receiver to strengthen for the boat.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 1996
Who has done this?

Quote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated with this question. Man when ever you get on this forum for good info on tandem pulling you get all the nontandem puller chiming in.
People that normal tandem pull know the rules, have tandem pulled (scary to average person) and generally know how to do it. The question becomes can the 5.0 5th wheel pin handle it, the frame on back can be beefed up to handle a small 12'-16' boat or two to one 4 wheelers... What people want to know and see is the guy that has done it.
Not all the rest of the nay sayer stuff.

So who has done this?
Old 07-30-2021, 02:01 PM   #20

Other than only 28 states allow this, this may limit responses to your question.
Closed Thread