Downsizing tow vehicle will I regret it - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #101

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 with Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post
Our Transit 8 passenger wagon is the regular (130") wheelbase and tows very straight. When passing or being passed by large trucks or in high wind conditions I have not encountered any sphincter tightening moments.

Our Transit has all of the factory tow and controller options. It's nice to be able to adjust the braking force on the fly, plus from reading the Ford Transit forum, there may be problems trying to add an aftermarket brake controller.

I added airbags to make sure the headlights wouldn't shine too far up when towing at night, however it didn't seem to alter the handling of the combo in any way.

I considered using a WDH, but it's not recommended by Ford. I suspect that there would be some improvement in stability with a WDH, but IMHO it really isn't needed.

The only complaint is that this rig is built to carry 3000 pounds and we are carrying less than a net of 300 pounds. The springs, tire pressures and shocks make for a rather stiff ride. On the other hand there is a surplus of power and the brakes are fantastic.
Thanks. Good to hear that it is the 130 inch as that is my preferred length. Did you add the air bags because the rear dropped too much with the 400 lbs or so tongue weight of the trailer. Since you indicated that it is sprung stiff I am trying to see what I would have to do in the rear.
Note that from my research the only difference between the 150 and 250 is in the rear springs but I cannot see the need or preference to go to the 250.
sailnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #102

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnbike View Post
Thanks. Good to hear that it is the 130 inch as that is my preferred length. Did you add the air bags because the rear dropped too much with the 400 lbs or so tongue weight of the trailer. Since you indicated that it is sprung stiff I am trying to see what I would have to do in the rear.
Note that from my research the only difference between the 150 and 250 is in the rear springs but I cannot see the need or preference to go to the 250.
I only added the airbags to level the headlights if I drive at night. The rear end only drops about 2" with the bags non-pressurized, which doesn't seem to hurt the handling any. Note that I normally tow with the bags pressurized.
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #103

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Thanks for the feedback and opinions. Based on what I have read, I've decided to keep my current truck. Sorry I haven't posted much lately I've been swamped with work. Working for yourself has it's benefits but sometimes I become a workaholic. I'm not complaining though.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #104

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Which model Colorado / Canyon are you referring to ? . We parked next to one the other day and the Colorado / Canyon was considerably shorter in length , about 8” shorter in height and narrower than my full size truck . The differences in size was quite obvious to us .
2018 GMC Canyon SLT 4wd.

Took the time and compiled the numbers from GMC web site for 2018 GMC Sierra and Canyon, both SLT crew cab models. The Sierra with standard bed and the Canyon with Long bed.

Something interesting the 2019 GMC Sierra in same configuration is smaller in couple of dimensions compared to the 2018 model.

2018 Sierra 4wd SLT Crew Cab Standard Bed
Wheel Base 153.00
Overall Length 241.25
Height Overall 74.17
Cargo Box Length 78.87
Cargo Box Width @ wheel housing 51.03
Front Hip Room 60.73
Width W/O mirrors 80.00

2018 GMC Canyon 4wd SLT Crew Cab Long Box
Wheel Base 140.50
Overall Length does not include bumper 224.60
Height Overall 70.50
Cargo Box Length 74.00
Cargo Box Width at wheel housing 44.40
Front Hip room 55
Width W/O mirrors 74.30
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #105

Quote:
Our Transit 8 passenger wagon is the regular (130") wheelbase and tows very straight. When passing or being passed by large trucks or in high wind conditions I have not encountered any sphincter tightening moments.

Our Transit has all of the factory tow and controller options. It's nice to be able to adjust the braking force on the fly, plus from reading the Ford Transit forum, there may be problems trying to add an aftermarket brake controller.

I added airbags to make sure the headlights wouldn't shine too far up when towing at night, however it didn't seem to alter the handling of the combo in any way.

I considered using a WDH, but it's not recommended by Ford. I suspect that there would be some improvement in stability with a WDH, but IMHO it really isn't needed.

The only complaint is that this rig is built to carry 3000 pounds and we are carrying less than a net of 300 pounds. The springs, tire pressures and shocks make for a rather stiff ride. On the other hand there is a surplus of power and the brakes are fantastic.
Thanks for your earlier replies. I have just a few more questions.
Do you have the 3.73 differential?
I see from the Transit forums that there were a lot of issues and recalls for 2015-17 models for the driveshaft coupling that is now redesigned, loud humming noises, torque converter failures and water getting into trailer tow modules. Do you feel that Ford has finally got the design shortcomings out of the vehicle. I was hoping to buy a used one but it looks like a new one is the only way to go, and likely the only way to get a 3.5 engine and tow package anyway.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #106

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I see from the Transit forums that there were a lot of issues and recalls for 2015-17 models for the driveshaft coupling that is now redesigned, loud humming noises, torque converter failures and water getting into trailer tow modules.
I was surprised to see that a flexible coupling like that (commonly called a "giubo") was used in the Transit - it's a pretty marginal component for the application. These things were common decades ago and were generally replaced by U-joints and CV joints, but apparently they are still used for propeller shaft joints in some European vehicles, particularly by BMW. I think this is a symptom of the German auto industry assumption that the owner will be willing to do a lot of expensive maintenance, including regular replacement of a component which would be considered life-of-the-vehicle in most modern vehicles. I don't think it would stop me from buying a Transit if I needed that type of vehicle, but I would consider replacement (possibly every couple of years) to be an expected cost of operation... even if they have a "better" one.

I believe that the transmission is the same 6R80 as used in an F-150 until recently so that shouldn't be an issue, although the torque converter could be different.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #107

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Thanks for your earlier replies. I have just a few more questions.
Do you have the 3.73 differential?
I see from the Transit forums that there were a lot of issues and recalls for 2015-17 models for the driveshaft coupling that is now redesigned, loud humming noises, torque converter failures and water getting into trailer tow modules. Do you feel that Ford has finally got the design shortcomings out of the vehicle. I was hoping to buy a used one but it looks like a new one is the only way to go, and likely the only way to get a 3.5 engine and tow package anyway.
Sorry for late reply...
We have the 3:31 rear differential. No need whatsoever for lower ratio. As for the driveshaft coupling - I'm satisfied that they've fixed the problem, and if not, there's enough documentation of the problem that there's no way that the owners will be on the hook for any driveline repairs.
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #108

Quote:
Sorry for late reply...
We have the 3:31 rear differential. No need whatsoever for lower ratio. As for the driveshaft coupling - I'm satisfied that they've fixed the problem, and if not, there's enough documentation of the problem that there's no way that the owners will be on the hook for any driveline repairs.
Thanks. I am glad we discussed the ratios as I would have automatically gone with the 3.73. I think the Ford towing capacity numbers are wrong as they show a 24% increase from 6900 from 5500 lbs by going to the 3.73 from the 3.31. With a change in ratio of 13% that is impossible. My feeling is that the 5500 is low given how much more torque it has and looking at the ratings for the other engines.
I suspect your choice of differential is a key to the good mileage you are getting.