Driving in Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Driving in Canada

While it will be quite a while until our 5.0 is completed (mid-September), I like to be prepared. In support of that, I just finished reading the Rules of the Road (Ontario version), and see very few difference between Canadian rules and those of the U.S. I have a few questions and would appreciate your help:

1. I understand my radar detector is illegal. Can I bring it into the country if it is just sitting in my glovebox?

2. May I have a GPS device sitting on top of my dashboard?

3. Where is it legal to make a U-Turn? For instance, in California, you may make a U-Turn in the intersection, in Illinois, you must make it at least 100 yd from an intersection, and in Memphis, they are illegal entirely (!!!!!!!!!)

4. If I have an emergency what number do I call? Does 911 work?

5. What rules and regulations are in place in BC that I might not see in the Ontario Rules of the Road? (I couldn't find an on-line version for BC)

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Driving in Canada

Go ahead. Prove how little I know by I asking questions.

As far as I know a radar detector is not illegal in BC. I believe that is because they mostly don't work anyway.

You can have GPS on dash or wherever it doesn't obstruct your vision. As of Feb. 1 you cannot operate that GPS while driving ( ie. entering address or changing volume ). You also can't operate an iPod or cell phone or other hand held device. You can use a hands free ( ie. Bluetooth ) cell phone. If you Google "cell phones in cars" and Vancouver Sun, you'll find stories on this.

911 works pretty much everywhere there are phones.

I've only made U-turns at an intersection and only if there is no signage forbidding U-turns.

For almost any question you could possibly ask Google DriveBC. You'll get highway cams, regs, ferry line-ups, weather etc.

baglo
Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #3

Address is:

http://www.drivebc.ca/
Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Thank you

btw, radar detectors work great. I've been using one since they first became available and am currently using a Valentine One....which has paid for itsef several times over. I guess I could just drive the speed limit, but where's the fun in that?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #5

Not much good against laser-based speed detection, like they use here. They just tell you that you've been caught.

You don't want to be speeding while hauling a trailer anyway. Your high-speed manoeuverability is diminished, and your fuel mileage gets very poor.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
While it will be quite a while until our 5.0 is completed (mid-September), I like to be prepared. In support of that, I just finished reading the Rules of the Road (Ontario version), and see very few difference between Canadian rules and those of the U.S. I have a few questions and would appreciate your help:

5. What rules and regulations are in place in BC that I might not see in the Ontario Rules of the Road? (I couldn't find an on-line version for BC)

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Here is the link to the provincial vehicle insurance agency on towing trailers in the province:
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...g-recreational

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... Down here on the north shore being so close to Detroit and Buffalo we drive by the American rules. Green means GO!!! Yellow means HURRY UP AND GO!!! Red means THERE"S ROOM FOR TWO MORE!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

1. I know lots of people that use radar detectors here. I have thought about it, but pulling a trailer I usually keep it within 15 km/hr (10 mph) of the speed limit up to 110 km/hr, which I rarely exceed. I have gotten a few tickets without the trailer in tow though, especially from cameras which the detector won't help with anyway.

2. A dash mounted GPS is no issue.

3. Not really sure where U-turns are allowed. I just make sure it is safe and do them, except in controlled intersections (most of the time ). Some places post no U-turns though.

4. 911 is pretty much universal.

5. I dunno.

One thing to watch for driving in BC, are these plates.

We Albertans refer to them as learner plates.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #9

"We Albertans refer to them as learner plates."

I'd declare war, but you guys have all the oil.

baglo

Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Glenn do you remember a while back when they used to give the bad drivers yellow license plates...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #11

For the most part, laser detectors will give you very little warning notice, if any notice at all. However, laser scatter does exists and if your lucky, you will pick up some of the skatter and have enough time to slow down a little to at least reduce your traffic fine, but then again, dont count on it.
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
"We Albertans refer to them as learner plates."

I'd declare war, but you guys have all the oil.

baglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Priestley
Glenn do you remember a while back when they used to give the bad drivers yellow license plates...
Those were the plates for people who passed the Aggressive Driving Course.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #13

I normally drive the speed limit or less when towing. The 2,500 mile trip up and over from Memphis to Chilliwack is another matter. I'll need the detector then . We'll stop-and-smell-the-roses on the trip back.

Laser scatter and tired cops missing their target with laser guns have given me ample warning to slow down on several occasions. In the US I'm more worried about instant-on radar as it is far more common. I normally slow a bit as I approach the crest of hills and around corners with limited visibility...a good defensive driving practice under any circumstances, and also prudent when clipping along a few (!) mph/kph over the limit.

Dave
Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Coulda used one of those detectors yesterday---was down near Mt Vernon in the US and I had had it on cruise--didn't notice the speed limit had changed until too late--saw the cop--attempted to slow down..
Nope, VERY young guy and I got a $144 ticket..
Haven't had one since I was 20 (yeah... a year or two ago!! LOL) and I drove for a living for over 15 years...

Guess it paid for the times I didn't get caught!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #15

If I got a ticket every time I was speeding I'd get ticket every time I turned on the ignition. The cops would be all over be like Rottweilers on pot roast.

Dave
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

The only concern that I had was converting mph to kph. I even had Reace do some conversions for me so I'd stay out of trouble. On my second trip up it dawned on me that all I had to do was pay attention; that both values were on the speedometer. Duh. :
Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
The only concern that I had was converting mph to kph. I even had Reace do some conversions for me so I'd stay out of trouble. On my second trip up it dawned on me that all I had to do was pay attention; that both values were on the speedometer. Duh. :
Silly Girl.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #18

Hi: Sandra L... It's easy done. 5 of us flew Detroit to Ft. Myers. Rented a Toyota Camry. Due to flight problems we arrived at 2am. Jumped into the car and head for the Beach/Condo. Foggy damp weather and I'm driving thru town when my wife says "Arn't you goin' kinda fast in the fog" to which I replied " I'm only doing 80" OOOPs!!! Alf
Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #19

I understand the latest metric-conversion initiative in the US, as precursor to an overall conversion to the metric system, is adoption of the "metric hour" There are 100 metric minutes in a metric hour, 100 metric seconds in a metric minute. Each day will be divided into 2 kilo-minutes (Kmin). North America will then be divided into 10 time zones, Eastern, Central, Undecided, Western, Huey, Dooey, Louie, Mutt, Jeff and 7.

Dave
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #20

Hi: Garand... That "Metric hour" stuff seems to work like the 30 day diet I'm on. So far I've lost 5 days!!! Alf