Driving lessons: common sense, or a lapse in machismo? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Driving lessons: common sense, or a lapse in machismo?

I haven't towed a trailer since I spent a summer back in the last century driving a Massey 50 tractor with a tank unit in tow to spray fertilizer on potato fields. My wife has never towed anything, but we agree that both of us should be fully capable of backing up, hitching and unhitching, and predicting and preventing problems.

Our goal is to become able to tow the Escape from A to B enjoyably, and without endangering ourselves or anyone else. With the help of this forum and the rally in June, we are educating ourselves about many aspects of trailer camping, including safety, but "armchair towing" hasn't left us feeling adequately prepared for the real-world challenges of the road.

I'm 70-ish, she's 60-ish, and we both have accident and citation-free driving records from back in our teens, but think we should get some professional driving instruction before we head off at highway speeds with two tons of Escape's artistry in tow.

Our plan is to get our 8AM orientation from Escape on pickup day, have lunch, then take a two hour towing lesson with a professional driving instructor at Valley Driving School which, conveniently, is located close to the Escape factory in Chilliwack.

The instructor will be an expert who routinely qualifies drivers for the Code 7 (huge RVs) and Code 20 (construction equipment) towing endorsements in BC (neither of which we need).

Valley will evaluate our current habits and skills, and teach us the fine points of pre-trip checks, maneuvering, and general trailer towing safety -- all using our own SUV and trailer. We realize that we will need ongoing practice to fully develop our towing skills, but think professional instruction at the outset will accelerate the process.

Is this a serious lapse in machismo on my part, or do those of you who are experienced at towing think it's a good idea? Thanks for your views.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Wow, great idea! We could have benefitted from such training. Interested to hear what you learn.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
I think it sounds great! Wish we were better at backing our 21.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Hi Brent,

No I don't think your plans indicate a "serious lack in machismo" on your part. Rather, your plans seem wise.

Our goals re: safe travel goals and our towing expertise replicate yours. Since we live close to Escape this is how we plan to become safe "Escapers" with our 17b and new to us Nisan Frontier. I've got a friend with extensive experience towing boats who is willing to come out and give Liz and I lessons before we venture out. He's promised not to be sarcastic about our initial back-up attempts.

If we lived on the Island like you guys do, I'd be a nervous wreck thinking about towing back home (especially think inking about driving onto the ferry) without lessons. So I think you are doing exactly the right thing by taking some lessons. Can you let us know what Valley Driving School will charge you?

(But my pessimistic side causes me to ask what your back-up (pardon the pun) plan is if the Driving instructor doesn't give you a passing evaluation that's a joke, I bet they will be happy to keep selling you lessons for as long as it takes.

Have fun Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I often see folks driving huge Rv's that likely haven't driven anything larger than a passenger car and are oblivious that they are now in control of a much larger rig that requires skill to operate , some proper lessons seem like a great idea
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape
Great idea ! Although you will be providing less entertainment to the spectators in the campgrounds. Longer wheel based trailers seem easier to back up. We have found two way radios and agreed upon commands to be helpful.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Backup Hand Signals

What a great idea. And so convenient.

Jubal makes a good point on having agreed upon signals. I like the signal system that is explained on the below U-tube videos. It is using a Class A coach in the example but the signals are universal.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I imagine most of us would benefit from lessons, whether we want to admit it or not. We would also benefit from everyone else taking lessons.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #9

Trailer: TBD
Like everybody else I think that sounds like a great idea. In fact if you report back that it was worth your while I might start shopping around here for a place that offers a similar service. I'm also curious about the cost.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
Is this a serious lapse in machismo on my part... ?
No!
"Real men" (and women) do what they know is right, and if getting professional training is right for you, then you should do it. I would support far more stringent driver training requirements, even if I meant I had to take more training.

Thanks for exercising sound judgement and doing whatever it takes to responsibly operate your vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I think driving lessons are a great idea. I wish we would have taken them when we picked up our 17b. I am tempted to see if I can't find a similar service here.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Thanks for posting the hand signals video, Paul/Janet. We had not seen those before on YouTube. And Brent/Cheryl, if you pick up tips you didn't expect, we're sure the rest of us could benefit from seeing those as well. What a great idea to get professional instruction.

Klaus & Karen

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Working on my build list
That's not a serious lack of machismo, it's a serious presence of brainpower. Plus, you have the courage to admit what you don't know.

I once watched a guy in a big rv take out the front of a pickup. His rear swung out on a sharp turn and it came into the campsite the pickup was parked in. The investigating officer measured how far the pickup was from the edge of the road and determined it was well within the site. I'll bet the driver of that rig wished he had gotten some training and practice.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I had two friends teach me - first with my bumper pull horse trailer and then the gooseneck . But something's I had to learn the hard way I'm just too impatient. I've found when I need to back out of a sticky situation I need to take it slow I can get out of most situations but sometimes it takes a long time. I think taking a lesson or two is a great idea.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hope they teach you how to avoid those boulders that BC Parks places in campsites to protect assets ( like the picnic table ). They only stand proud by a couple of feet and are hard to see as the front of the tow vehicle swings to manoeuvre the trailer into position.
Haven't hit one yet, but I've sure come close.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Unbusy parking lots are great for practice, usually on weekends at some business. Use books and lay out a course or campsite pattern to conquer.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #17

I have hit one of the camp ground boulders in WA took my pickup truck step off - as I said sometimes I get impatient
Old 05-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Somehow, you have to keep an eye on the rear of the trailer in the mirrors and keep another eye on the right front fender of the tow, which obstructs your view of the boulder.
That's where hand signals don't work as well as somebody shouting STOP!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #19

Wish I had that person yelling stop! But when you are tired and solo sometimes you get careless.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Observations of a towing Newbie .....

So a bit about me/us ... prior to owning our 21, I had no prior towing experience.

I watched as much YouTube videos and how to's as I could find. I became an rabid reader of this forum, researched break controllers and weight distribution hitches. I even went to a local equipment rental place and rented a 10 ft box trailer for the day and took it to a empty parking lot and practices backing up and maneuvering.

Our trailer is stored at the end of a very long driveway (~30-40 yards). Needless to say being able to back up and control the trailer was very much top of my mind.

We have now taken out twice, backed into both camp spots and returned home requiring the same maneuvers. The longer wheel base of the 21 IMHO allows for easier control and adjustment while backing (compared to the 10ft. rental).

By far the Best advise I got was from SallyP, "To back up straight, keep your head still and watch your mirrors. Turn the steering wheel in the direction of the mirror that you see your trailer in."

Thanks Sally!!

-Dave
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote