Drop for a 2" Ball - 2015 F150 4X2 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Pat, what's the drop on your stinger?
It appears to be 2in . What I was told was 20 in from ground to top of ball . I had my truck pretty loaded when I picked her up but she was still right on . Dennis , Tammy's Dad said it was good I had the air bags because I could bring it up if needed . I do have a F250 though and it is pretty strong back there and I have never needed to touch air bags . I keep them at 5 lbs at all times . I use to carry a camper that was why I had them put on . My tires are LT265/75r16 again was for camper weight . Next time will go down a size because I really don't need now . What you need to do load your truck like you will then measure to get your 20 in . Hope this helps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
It appears to be 2in . What I was told was 20 in from ground to top of ball . I had my truck pretty loaded when I picked her up but she was still right on . Dennis , Tammy's Dad said it was good I had the air bags because I could bring it up if needed . I do have a F250 though and it is pretty strong back there and I have never needed to touch air bags . I keep them at 5 lbs at all times . I use to carry a camper that was why I had them put on . My tires are LT265/75r16 again was for camper weight . Next time will go down a size because I really don't need now . What you need to do load your truck like you will then measure to get your 20 in . Hope this helps . Pat
Thanks Pat. I think I'll take Jim's advice and just get a 4"down/3" up and a 2"down/1"up. I can use either as necessary and I would also then have a spare.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Also my tailgate just clears . My stinger is 7 1/2 to center of ball . It is a log one . I didn't like it at first but it gives no problem dropping tailgate hooked up . Pat
Old 03-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
My stinger is 7 1/2 to center of ball . It is a log one.
That sounds short to me, as I don't know if I've ever seen shorter, but I think we're just measuring from different points.

Pat, yours is 7-1/2" from the centre of the ball hole to where - the end of the receiver opening perhaps? Usually the length is measured from the ball hole to the pin hole, as shown in this diagram from Curt:
Attached Thumbnails
BallMountTerminology_400x150.jpg  
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That sounds short to me, as I don't know if I've ever seen shorter, but I think we're just measuring from different points.

Pat, yours is 7-1/2" from the centre of the ball hole to where - the end of the receiver opening perhaps? Usually the length is measured from the ball hole to the pin hole, as shown in this diagram from Curt:
Sorry . I measured from end of bumper plate to center of ball . It is sticking out pretty far . Pat
Old 03-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #26

Quote:
I measured from end of bumper plate to center of ball . It is sticking out pretty far .
Thanks Pat That measurement makes perfect sense, it's just not the standard because receivers have different distances from that face to the pin hole, and it's the pin hole that determines the position of the ball. Add a couple of inches to the 7.5" to reach the rest of the way to the hole, and that is a pretty long ball mount - at eTrailer, that would be in the "long" category.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another option Robert is the Andersen set up. you then have an adjustable hitch. If I recall towing to Osoyoos I had it at factory spec's and returning home I had lowered it one hole and my mpg seemed to have improved. I saw several there with the lower setting and it helped. So you may want a 1" drop or a 3" drop to add to your collection, why not just use Andersen, it is a nice set up and does help to keep things in their place inside.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Another option Robert is the Andersen set up.
Are you talking about the 3343 WDH or the Rapid hitch? I hadn't planned on using any wdh because Reace said it wasn't necessary.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Was waiting for that one; my first thought when thread started. It's not that you have to use it but there are definite advantages. Notice the difference when towing around locally without it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #30

The WDH with anti sway. I do not need it but it does keep the trailer behind you and if you ever slam on your brakes you will be glad you are using it. so it's like an emergency kit, there if you ever need it. It is infinitely adjustable.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The WDH with anti sway. I do not need it but it does keep the trailer behind you and if you ever slam on your brakes you will be glad you are using it. so it's like an emergency kit, there if you ever need it. It is infinitely adjustable.
Gotcha. The one with 4" drop and the 4 3/8" brackets I assume (3343)?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #32

Right, and the price from ETI is virtually the same as Amazon given the exchange rate and Dennis will install it free for ya!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #33

Yes, that sounds familiar. In addition you will be going right by the manufacturer in Idaho Falls, Idaho. I stopped there on the way to Osoyoos last year and got them to exchange the incorrect brakets, which they did "gratis".
Old 03-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #34

Incorrect brackets? Please elaborate.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #35

I ordered mine from Amazon and there are 2 sets of brackets out there, the original sets were custom made for your frame size, I had one of the original bracket sets on my Escape 19' which I sold with the trailer. Fast forward one year and now Andersen came with with the "one size fits all" bracket which hung down about 4-5" below the frame and they hit the ground leaving my driveway. I stopped and got the smaller correct bracket which is about 2" smaller and the hole spacing is perfect for the 4" frame.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #36
Site Team

I suppose I should stop asking questions if I don't want to spend money.

I'll try the Andersen. What the hell, it's only money...lol
Old 03-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #37

That explains it as I recall you had your 21 delivered. For most who pick up it is one of those custom fits that ETI does a great job at. I thought about 2 seconds about the "savings" buying online and decided it wasn't worth it. Now its a no-brainer.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #38

Quote:
I suppose I should stop asking questions if I don't want to spend money.

Right? And heck you have every other ETI option known on this Forum, right?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #39

and it is aluminum, your new favorite metal, but do not let it go to your head and get an Airstream.....
Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Are you talking about the 3343 WDH or the Rapid hitch?
The Rapid Hitch is the aluminum adjustable-height ball mount from Andersen. They also sell a steel-shanked adjustable height ball mount called EZ Hitch. EZ Hitch comes in regular and HD (heavy duty) versions; no Escape needs the HD version, but it is more secure and it has another feature...

The Andersen EZ-Hitch HD and the Andersen No-Sway WD use the same shank, so you can use either the plain ball mount (attached with pins) or the WD head (attached with bolts) on the same shank. You can even use the WD head with ball but without the chains and trailer-side hardware as a plain ball.

Quote:
I hadn't planned on using any wdh because Reace said it wasn't necessary.
I would run the numbers, but it seems unlikely that a truck with 142" wheelbase and towing/payload package would need WD. Again due to the long wheelbase and the truck's dynamics, sway damping seems unlikely to be needed. Personally, I would likely just use a light, strong, cheap, and simple fixed ball mount (in aluminum )

Quote:
An option is to get the whole Andersen No-Sway WD hitch system, and if you find you have no use for the WD and no need for the sway control, you can make your life simpler by using it as a plain weight-carrying hitch... with no further expenditure.