Drop for a 2" Ball - 2015 F150 4X2 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Andersen No-Sway system head - the most visible part - is aluminum. The shank is steel, and since the part in the receiver is solid (as is typical for Class 4 ball mounts) rather than hollow (as is typical for steel Class 3 mounts), it's hefty. The triangular plate is steel too, as are of course the chains, threaded ends, nuts, and brackets.

Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Money aside, I'd much rather tow without WDH, if I had that option.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have never been so back and forth as to getting a WDH. I have a big enough truck to easily handle the 21, but Reece still thought it might be a good idea. One concern is, how big of a pain is it to couple and uncouple the trailer? I would just about be done with the build sheet if I could make up my mind on this one. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
To throw something else into the mix. Honda recommends using sway control but not Weight Distribution Hitches for safety reasons. Since I already owned an Anderson WDH I called Anderson. I asked if I could take advantage of sway control without redistributing any weight, and if so, how much weight I would need on the ball. They said I didn't have to redistribute any weight and all I needed was 100 lbs on the ball for sway control to work. Kind of expensive sway control but, what the hay!!!!!!!!!
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I have never been so back and forth as to getting a WDH. I have a big enough truck to easily handle the 21, but Reece still thought it might be a good idea. One concern is, how big of a pain is it to couple and uncouple the trailer? I would just about be done with the build sheet if I could make up my mind on this one. Loren
I did the same thing. Talked myself into it, then out of it, many times. In reading all the previous threads on the Andersen when towing with a full size pickup, the general consensus seems to be it makes towing feel more smooth and connected. I probably won't benefit much from it, but I guess I'm saying I just talked myself back into it - with a little nudge.

If you don't want to decide right now, you can always leave it off the build sheet and pick one up later. -- um, like I did.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
One less instruction manual to read.
And, one less thing to maintain.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
It's easy Loren.
In addition to the usual hitching steps, you install a steel plate under the ball with a pin and tighten a nut at the end of the two chains.
I needed the WDH with my Trailblazer so I don't have to make the "buy" decision... I will keep using my Anderson for the stiffer connection and sway control.
paulw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
... I called Anderson. I asked if I could take advantage of sway control without redistributing any weight, and if so, how much weight I would need on the ball. They said I didn't have to redistribute any weight and all I needed was 100 lbs on the ball for sway control to work.
I don't think that's quite true, and likely a bit of playing a little loose with the facts, which is common for marketing people.

For the sway control action, the chains must be hooked up so that they turn the plate and thus the ball/shaft in the friction material. Slack in the chains would cause a jerky action, so to avoid slack the urethane springs must be compressed at least a bit, and that means tension in the chains. With tension, you get load transfer (weight re-distribution)... but you could operate with very little load transfer.

As long as the chains don't go slack, the amount of sway control depends only on the tongue weight on the ball (which apparently needs to be at least 100 pounds for proper operation, but it will be for any travel trailer).
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Pretty unlikely that sway control or WDH would be required with an f150 towing a escape 19'. You may be better off applying that money to campgrounds and gas.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #50

Trailer: not yet
There is a bit of a difference in "needed" and "appreciated". I don't think anyone would advise that the F150 "needs" any sort of WDH to pull a relatively small ETI 19. But there are plenty of folks that don't need the Andersen that have appreciated using it, simply for how it smooths out the ride.

I have had my wife along on only a few tows with my Frontier, and she's always commented on the bumpiness of the ride while towing. I for one would be considering getting the Andersen in order to get a smoother ride.

But I guess it depends on the truck/trailer combo.

LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote