E2 Hitch won't stay tight & level on frame - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Maury&Julie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Mill Valley, California
Trailer: 2016 21'
Posts: 147
E2 Hitch won't stay tight & level on frame

Hi all. Sorry if this has already been answered. I'm terrible at searching these forums.

We're having a terrible time with our E2 Hitch. No matter what I do, the brackets that hold the "L" bar that the distribution bar rides on always work loose and slide on the frame. I've tried lock washers, and torquing it REALLY tight. Nothing holds it in place.

I like how the hitch works when it is set up properly but I can't keep it in place.

Any ideas?
__________________

Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Maury&Julie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Mill Valley, California
Trailer: 2016 21'
Posts: 147
Nothing like answering my own question!

I downloaded and read the owners manual (go figure). I see that the torque is very important. I suspect this is my problem. Anyone else run into this? I also need to measure to make sure the L bracket sits at 30" from the tow ball. So I'll try all this and hope it helps.
__________________

Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,524
Dave had the same problem; think he got it right-

E2 Trunnion Hitch on the Road
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:03 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
Nothing like answering my own question!

I downloaded and read the owners manual (go figure). I see that the torque is very important. I suspect this is my problem. Anyone else run into this? I also need to measure to make sure the L bracket sits at 30" from the tow ball. So I'll try all this and hope it helps.
I'm slightly surprised that all the setup wasnt 100% perfect at the initial install at ETI

or am I missing something. ?

We get our 21' and e2 soon-ish from ETI

maybe I should read the manual first?

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 4,003
Can't help with a way to stop it from tilting as my Equal-i-zer did the same for the 8 years I had it, other then flipping over the bent plate and retorquing. The tilting did lessen over the years. If I read the other linked thread right, try adding lock washers, which I never tried.

The E2 and the Equal-i-zer are made by Progress Mfg although sold via 2 different web sites. The E2 looks like it may be a lighter version of the Equal-i-zer.

I did want to mention to those having squealing issues, Progress sells a hard rubber, at least I think it's rubber, bracket jacket that help cut down on the noise. Didn't eliminate it 100%, but they did help. If I remember right, you are not supposed to lube the contact points there the Sway/Friction bars ride on the L brackets, kind of defeats their purpose.

The link below is to the Equal-i-zer site, I noticed them on sale at Adventure RV if you search on "Equal-i-zer". Did not see them on the Fastway E2 site. I also carried an extra set of the big L pins, mine got pretty bent up after a while.

Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Westcliffe, Colorado
Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Posts: 76
Good luck. That problem plagued us all through Alaska and Canada. We were sent new L brackets as ours were bent out of shape after a while. Helped some. We don't believe ETI had this set up correctly and found from the E2 company we had an old model. As we sold the 21, we don't know if the new owner was able to fix the issue. We told him about it, and that it didn't affect the safety of towing, it was just very annoying.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
Good luck. That problem plagued us all through Alaska and Canada. We were sent new L brackets as ours were bent out of shape after a while. Helped some. We don't believe ETI had this set up correctly and found from the E2 company we had an old model. As we sold the 21, we don't know if the new owner was able to fix the issue. We told him about it, and that it didn't affect the safety of towing, it was just very annoying.
You bought your trailer June 2016 and you had an older model of the e2?

hoping we get the "newer" model...
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,155
No such problemo with the Pro Series........
__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21' SSSScape
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,524
Ditto- had the more expensive Andersen but it was wearing out within a year. Pro Series easier to use and has a better feel towing IMO.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The E2 and the Equal-i-zer are made by Progress Mfg although sold via 2 different web sites. The E2 looks like it may be a lighter version of the Equal-i-zer.
Although they're different in the head area, they're essentially the same at the frame end - the part relevant to this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I did want to mention to those having squealing issues, Progress sells a hard rubber, at least I think it's rubber, bracket jacket that help cut down on the noise. Didn't eliminate it 100%, but they did help. If I remember right, you are not supposed to lube the contact points there the Sway/Friction bars ride on the L brackets, kind of defeats their purpose.

The link below is to the Equal-i-zer site, I noticed them on sale at Adventure RV if you search on "Equal-i-zer". Did not see them on the Fastway E2 site. I also carried an extra set of the big L pins, mine got pretty bent up after a while.

Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store
The description says they're nylon (not rubber), which makes more sense as a bearing surface. It also says
Quote:
NOTE: Utilizing lubrication on the Equal-i-zer L-Bracket, in the form of the Sway Bracket Jacket or any grease type lubricant, may lessen or decrease your sway control by a small degree.
Remember that in the Equal-i-zer design friction at the brackets are supposed to be a minor part of the sway-damping friction, but in the E2 the brackets are the only friction location.
__________________

Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e2 hitch, sway bar, weight distribution hitch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.