E2 vs. Andersen and more .... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ever since moving up to tandem axles, the issue of sway has been minimized, particularly by knowing the proper tongue weight. IMHO, weight distribution is more of an issue with an Escape tandem axle, depending on your tow vehicle, not sway. The mere fact you have weight distribution in place should also help with sway if it becomes prevalent.
Exactly, which is why the ETI "Equalizer" is more than adequate and at the lowest price with no friction devices to have to replace.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
E2 vs. Andersen and more ....

We had the Anderson system on our 17B and now have the E2 on our 19. I liked the Anderson, but much prefer the E2. Both work well, but the Anderson was prone to getting remarkably loud. Embarrassingly loud. More importantly though, I find the E2 faster and easier to use, especially after adding two L pins that have the built in spring loaded bales. And no worries now about the weird forward thrust the Anderson puts on the coupler.

Regarding the high lift kit, we had it installed by ETI post-production on our 17B and were happy we did so, for three reasons. 1) It offset the reduction in clearance caused by the spray foam insulation we had put on. 2) There were a few times when we have gone to places with “roads” rough enough that I was super glad for the added clearance (this use is seldom and rare, but it seems people often consider it the *only* feature of the lift kit, which is not the case, because...) 3) The extra 2-3 inches of height comes in handy quite often when at the dump station. Gravity is your friend! Prior to the lift kit we has a couple of situations where the valves were almost level with the end of the hose. Rare and unusual circumstances for sure, but I’m all for avoiding even a slight chance of repeats. Yuck.

We ordered the lift kit for our 19 without even a moment’s further consideration.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Ohhhhh .... now we get to revisit the WDH AND the high lift.

Thanks to everyone for all your sound and insightful thoughts/advice. I guess the ball is in our court now and, being the sportsman that I am, I'll just pass this ball to the 'other half'.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can buy a pencil for 25 cents ( ? ) or you can buy a Monte Blanc pen for thousands of dollars.
My recollection is that that Blue Ox WDH goes for more than a thousand dollars. My Pro Series from ETI cost $350.
Suggest you grab a pencil and paper and write down the attributes of each before making a decision.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have a 2005 Tundra Access cab and a 2015 Escape 21. We got the Andersen hitch prior to the period when they were having problems. At that time ETI was installing this hitch on 80% of their trailers (according to ETI). Having used a Reece WDH with added anti sway bar in our previous trailer, I found this very different Andersen product to be far superior. Not only is the hitch lighter, but the trailer tracks so much better. We have friends who independently decided on an Andersen hitch for their stick built trailer last year and also love it. I think that Andersen had a problem with their hitch insert and hopefully has resolved it by now. ETI told me the problem developed with Andersen's change of the sleeve or insert.

Every TV/trailer combo is unique and so I think our experience with a very similar sized Tundra (one year newer) and towing an Escape 21 is very relevant. Some TVs may not even need a WDH, but having towed our 21 over the same roads with and without our Andersen I can state categorically that there is a significant difference in the tow with our Tundra. On a long trip the porpoising of the trailer and slightly more sway would be more tiring. If you liked the Andersen with your Escape 19 I would recommend you stay with it for your 21.

Regarding the high lift axle, we got it to compensate for the spray foam under the trailer. If we didn't go down really rough roads at times it wouldn't be necessary.

Bob K
Attached Images

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 E19
The Fastway E2 has friction at 2 points (1 on each side of the head).
The original Equal-i-zer has friction at 4 points (each side of the head plus each bar on its L bracket).
Between the two, I think the 4 point friction is the way to go. Now that Husky has a very similar hitch in the Centerline TS, and priced much lower than either the Equalizer or the Andersen, I'd be inclined to go with the Husky personally.

The Andersen will work also, but if I were using it again long term (mine sold with the trailer I had at the time) I would want to get a Bulldog coupler to eliminate worry about the pressure the Andersen puts on the retention pawl of a more common coupler. The chains are easier to stash away than long bars (chains are lighter and take up less space). You do have to reconnect them at pretty close to the same angle as you disconnected, or the ball is rotated wrong in the socket (one can drop onto the ball and pull forward in order to obtain the right angle, though).
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #27

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Wdh

Years ago I used a couple different units, they worked. Later while towing the 17 Casita behind a Ford super crew, no WDH , I bounced a TV off the bed in the truck lanes of CA freeways due to the bouncing and installed a single bar WDH to stop the bounce, it worked. With my 21 Escape I used the Andersen and really liked it except I was down on my knees a lot making the hook up and adjusting the chain tension. I don't want to be down on my knees so much now so I'm having Escape install the
fast way E2 hitch. I'm sure it will work fine behind my Dodge Durango pulling the 17B due in July.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thank you all SO much!!! It is just amazing (and extremely helpful) to be able to tap into all this knowledge and experience. (And we're on the same track gbaglo. I've already started an Excel spreadsheet.)

Bob's experience with the Andersen sounds like ours and, since we have a similar setup, is quite relevant. (Bob do you happen to have a photo of your setup to compare the high rise?) I hadn't heard of any problems with Andersen so the information regarding the hitch insert was interesting.

One of the factors we need to consider, at this point in our lives, is the ease-factor in hitching up the trailer. The one frustrating thing about the Andersen was that we seemed to be on our knees a lot, adjusting the screws, etc. , but that's part of my spreadsheet (this is where opinions really help).

If one buys a WDH that's not on Escape's build sheet, does anyone know if they help install it or are we on our own?

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #29

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can buy a pencil for 25 cents ( ? ) or you can buy a Monte Blanc pen for thousands of dollars.
My recollection is that that Blue Ox WDH goes for more than a thousand dollars. My Pro Series from ETI cost $350.
Suggest you grab a pencil and paper and write down the attributes of each before making a decision.
I picked up the 750 Lb one for a previous trailer for around $570, which is about what they still go for. Things to note about the Blue Ox, it uses bar tension to control sway. No squeaks or groans. It weighs a more than the E2 which is why I sold ours, I did not like picking that heavy thing up. One day I'll find an even lighter one that I like and sell the E2 for the same reason. The bars are a bit lower so we did scrape them a couple times in gas stations. Both are quick to install for the trip and pretty much set and forget.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
.The Andersen will work also, but if I were using it again long term (mine sold with the trailer I had at the time) I would want to get a Bulldog coupler to eliminate worry about the pressure the Andersen puts on the retention pawl of a more common coupler.
We had to replace our original coupler due to the pawl being damaged and allowing the yoke to open. This issue has been discussed at some length on Airforums. We had other problems too with the chain brackets being eaten away. No wonder ETI abandoned it.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Here is a link to a thread on high lift axles to which I contributed. I also am attaching a photo of our Escape 21 with the high lift. We had it installed about a year after we picked up our new Escape, so we could compare the towing experience before and after. No difference.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...le-7721-4.html

Bob K
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4127.jpg  
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Jan, you added the electric jack to the build yet? Way simpler and when the hitch is lifted, the tension bars/nuts can be more easily adjusted.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote