Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Electric F-150

Guess it was only a matter of time:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ck/2595515002/

Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
When it can TOW and has real RANGE, call me. I'll have my checkbook.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
And where are they going to get all the electricity needed to charge these battery powered vehicals?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
When it can TOW and has real RANGE, call me. I'll have my checkbook.
Towing isn't a problem. The Rivian pickup is at the prototype stage, but looks like a possible success when it goes into production, planned for a couple years from now. It has an 11,000 pound towing rating, and more than enough power and size to handle that. Even a Tesla Model X can tow 5,000 pounds, and it's really not intended for towing.

Range is a problem; the Rivian has about double the battery capacity of a well-equipped Tesla, and that still won't give it enough range for many users while towing a travel trailer. It's a straightforward problem, but difficult to solve without consequences including great expense: doing the work of towing takes energy, but storing energy in a battery is expensive and heavy.

An electric F-150 wouldn't be a very good electric truck, but I think it's reasonable to assume that Ford would only build a hybrid of the current design. A battery-electric pickup could carry the "F-150" name and similar style for marketing, but would be substantially different underneath.

Robert, I hope you don't mind writing a six-figure value in that chequebook. All battery-electric cars are much more expensive than the gas-engine versions of the same vehicle, and the premium is worse with an unusually large battery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17B
Have a Chevy Bolt (all electric-$35k). Charge it with solar at my house. Solar runs the heat pump, dryer, hot water tank. Electric bill each month is $16 bucks to use the grid as a battery.

An all electric truck is probably not practical for a towing application, but the cost of ownership of my Bolt is way cheaper than a similar ICE. It gets the gas equivalent of 117 MPG (Free for me). First maintenance for the car is 150,000 miles besides windshield washer fluid and tires. No oil changes, tranny fluid, etc. and the car uses regenerative braking so brake pads are not expected to wear much.

Speaking of tires, my first set lasted 12,000 miles because I can't help blowing the doors off every ICE car that pulls around me at an intersection thinking my little spec of a car is slow. It's a little rocket ship.

Another upside is every morning you start with a full tank of gas. I never have to stop for gas. Distance to charge is 150 to 225 miles depending on the outside temperature. For all my normal driving, it is fantastic. Unfortunately it takes a few hours to charge meaning its a great second car, but I still have a Honda Pilot to pull a trailer and go long distances in comfort.

The Chevy Volt's hybrid system of electric drive and tuned generator scaled up would be just the ticket for a truck. Tons of torque, range and locally almost free to drive. If someone builds that, bye bye Pilot.
Steve NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
My older brother and I had slot car racers growing up, and I've been waiting 50 years for the Interstate Highway System to adapt a 1970's style "slot car" technology where once you are driving on an interstate, you can simply drop an electric contact blade from the bottom of your vehicle frame down into an energized slot in the designated lane of the interstate roadway, and then you just sit back and cruse with the slot powering an electric motor in your vehicle while also guiding your vehicle down the highway. I loved those old slot car racers....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Guess it was only a matter of time:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ck/2595515002/
Hi: Hilola... SHOCKING!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
An electric F150 might be okay for farmers, tradesmen, and anyone who needs a truck and doesn't have to drive long distances during the day. That depends upon the price of the thing, of course.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
An electric F150 might be okay for farmers, tradesmen, and anyone who needs a truck and doesn't have to drive long distances during the day. That depends upon the price of the thing, of course.
This is why limited-production electric vehicles - usually consisting of a glider (vehicle without powertrain) from a mass manufacturer plus a battery and motor system from an upfitter - have been around ever since automobiles were invented. The companies doing this come and go... and it is only a matter of time before each one goes.

Companies such as Ford will produce this type of vehicle when there is a sufficient market; that appears to be coming in a few years.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve NY View Post
Have a Chevy Bolt (all electric-$35k).
Speaking of tires, my first set lasted 12,000 miles because I can't help blowing the doors off every ICE car that pulls around me at an intersection thinking my little spec of a car is slow. It's a little rocket ship.
EV enthusiasts certainly are enthusiastic. Reality is a little different.

The Bolt has a 200 horsepower motor, which is pretty good for the size of the car. Low-speed performance is typically good in EVs, because the motor delivers full power over a wide range of speeds, so there's no need to shift a transmission for best performance or reach a high enough road speed to get the engine turning fast enough. The result is a zero to 60 mph time which is typical of modern sporty cars; it's a fraction of a second faster than my Mazda 3, which is quite enjoyable to drive.

This is one challenge for potential manufacturers of electric pickup trucks. They have so much power "for towing and hauling" (although most pickup drivers never tow and rarely haul) that when not loaded they are quicker than most cars. For example, an EcoBoost 3.5 F-150 is about as quick up to 60 mph as the Bolt... and certainly quicker at higher speeds.

Just a note about on-road performance comparisons: the other person is not racing you (and you should not be racing anyone on a public road), so which one of you reaches the other side of the intersection first doesn't say anything about the performance potential of your cars. I drove a 78-horsepower economy car for many years, and I realized very early that if I wanted to pull away from other traffic leaving any stoplight I could... because almost everyone's acceleration is limited by their choice as a driver, not by the capability of their vehicle.