Equalizer Hitch for New 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Smile Equalizer Hitch for New 19

I am wondering what is the best WD hitch to order for my new 19; tow is a 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited. The Build Sheet lists Trunnion Pro-Series 600lb with or without Sway Bar, and E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch. Effectiveness of function is of course essential, but simplicity is also a good thing. I know that some of you will have had experience with these products, and thanks in advance for any guidance you can supply!
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
They all have their pluses and minuses. As long as it does the job of redistributing weight from back to front, and you're happy with how to hook up and unhook with it, then "best" doesn't mean much.

I'd suggest reviewing some online how-to videos for each model, and maybe ask Reace which one he likes and why.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd suggest reviewing some online how-to videos for each model, and maybe ask Reace which one he likes and why.
This is a good way to do it. My brother's 19 is in production and will be ready right away. I advised him just talk to Reace at pickup and decide which one to buy then. They can set it up real quick for him.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I agree with the above advice to ask Reace which he advises and why. In a career as a buyer I learned to ask advice to the ones I trusted. I would definitely trust Reace!
Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Forum?

Well, the Forum so far says to ask Reese. I asked Sarah M. at ETI to ask him, and her reply suggested I consult the tow car's owner's manual (which of course does not recommend any particular brand) or consult the Forum. Anyone here have experience with these hitches that they can share, leading to a recommendation? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This is one of those things like car & tire brands unfortunately. I'm a less is more type and don't think Escape trailers need any anti-sway as do much larger profile and heavier trailers often do. From a cost vs. value perspective the price for the Fastway in Chilliwack seems out of whack.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

Thanks Rossue, as the sway bar part is something I particularly don't understand, as I have not had one on my 17B, and certainly have no complaints about it's stability when towing. Seems to me that the move to twin axles on the 19 would add even more stability.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I have a Anderson hitch but have several friends that have the E2 and they really like them.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hitches with a 21

We used to have an Anderson and liked it fine.
Based on recommendation from ETI, this time we got the E2 with anti-sway.

We are pulling with a Jeep Grand Cherokee which requires a weight distribution hitch for trailers over 3400 pounds. Given that we already have to fool with that, we just automatically added the sway control.

We were coming back through Tioga pass in Yosemite last week, we were surprised when we opened the Jeep doors and had the doors pulled out of our hands by the wind. I could see it was windy but hadn't had any sensation of being buffeted around. During our trip we frequently saw "high wind area" signs.

The one thing that I would recommend is getting the electric jack. When hooking up or decoupling the towbars, the ups and downs get old when doing it manually.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It makes sense to ask Reace, but he has already recommended two specific weight-distributing hitches which are suitable, by choosing them to offer as accessories. You can actually use any WDH you want, not just those ones. The right WDH for a given trailer (if you even want a WDH at all) depends on the tow vehicle and the way you use (load) the trailer; Reace knows all about the trailers, but not your specific tow vehicle.

Why two offerings? The Pro Series (trunnion version) is the economy choice in the lowest available capacity rating (which still handles any Escape model). The trunnion style is generally a bit easier to use than the round-bar style, and the trunnion style usually hangs down a little less than the round bar. Every major towing equipment manufacturer makes similar hitches, in trunnion and round bar styles.
The FastWay E2 is the "premium" alternative. Again, there are other hitches of a similar design.

What is listed as a "sway bar" is a friction-based sway control device. It is from Pro Series because that's the supplier that Escape; every major manufacturer of towing equipment makes the same thing, and there's nothing special about the Pro Series. It is not listed as an option with the E2, because the E2 includes a similar friction-based sway-damping feature as part of the design.

This choice has been discussed several times in this forum, but as usual it's challenging to find useful and relevant discussions from the past. Follow this link and you should see some threads worth reading:
Google search for "fastway e2 pro series" in escapeforum.org
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've only ever used the 600lb. rated Pro-Series. All I know is it's worked for me from Alaska to Baja making the tug/tow package seem as one more than any other combination I've ever towed previously. Works for me, set by Dennis at ETI and has been trouble free.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Same here. Pro series set up by Reace.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
I am wondering what is the best WD hitch to order for my new 19; tow is a 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited. The Build Sheet lists Trunnion Pro-Series 600lb with or without Sway Bar, and E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch. Effectiveness of function is of course essential, but simplicity is also a good thing. I know that some of you will have had experience with these products, and thanks in advance for any guidance you can supply!
Hi Beaver,
I have no experience with WDH's so I can't offer any advice .... however .... as I understand it. Some makes and models require you to un hook the anti sway bar before backing. I'd find that a huge PIA.

Ask lots of questions.

Tom
Old 11-01-2016, 01:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Pro Series has no sway bars and I've not experienced sway from crosswinds, semi-trailers or radical lane changes.
I would be grateful if it was lighter in weight.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #15

Thanks to all! Ron in BC, you have a 19. Do you have a sway bar?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We use the Fastway E2, towing with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, and love it. Once you get it set up, it's relatively easy to use, adds maybe 2 or 3 minutes to my hitch up time.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We originally had the Andersen hitch, installed at ETI, with our Toyota Highlander and Escape 19 combo. The Andersen never quite got the Highlander level enough for a variety of reasons. This year, we switched to an Equal-i-zer hitch, the US built version of the E2. It has turned out to be a huge improvement. The Highlander sits more level, and the car/trailer combo seems more like one solid unit. The only downside is a little more weight to deal with when installing the hitch onto the car. Well worth it, in my opinion.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
The one thing that I would recommend is getting the electric jack. When hooking up or decoupling the towbars, the ups and downs get old when doing it manually.
After only 4 trips in ours so far, that is something that I definitely agree with. We did not get this option, but will be adding one eventually.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
WDH for 19

I picked up my 19 in May 2016, and I tow it with a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (tow capacity 5000lb). I had the Pro Series 600 installed at ETI by Dennis.

After about 5000 km towing over all kinds of terrain I can offer the following comments:
1. Dennis did a great job of installation no adjustments required since.
2. I have no need for sway control. Trailer is steady even when big semis are passing.
3. There is no problem backing up with the WDH hooked up.
4. Get the power jack!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 21C
Ditto of Hugh's reply.
I picked up my 2017 17b end of Sept.
I tow it with a 2016 Toyota Highlander (tow capacity 5000lb). I had the Pro Series 600 installed at ETI by Dennis.

After about 4400 miles towing over all kinds of terrain I can offer the following comments:
1. Dennis did a great job of installation no adjustments required since.
2. I have no need for sway control. Trailer is steady even when big semis are passing.
3. There is no problem backing up with the WDH hooked up.
4. Get the power jack!!!!!!!