equalizer vs anderson hitch for towing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Question equalizer vs anderson hitch for towing

Hi.

Not only are we newbies to the Escape Trailer we are newbies to any type of trailer camping. We have been tent camping most of our lives. We have just purchased an Escape 19' to be delivered the end of August and are in the process of selecting upgrades etc. We have a 2014 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4 (crew cab) bought in anticipation of towing a trailer. It has the factory installed tow package. We need help with figuring out whether to purchase the equalizer or anderson hitch. If anybody out there is towing a 19 foot with a Nissan could you please send your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks Erie
Erie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Maybe you should try towing without any WDH. You may not need it. Your factory tow package gives you a very good towing and tongue weight capacity, well above what is needed to tow a 19. If you find later that you might benefit from weight distribution, you can always add it.

We have the Andersen and are happy with it, but many Escape owners who use the Reese Pro Series conventional WDH are happy with that setup too.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I'm not sure if the Nissan Frontier SV 4X4 (crew cab) has a break controller installed or not. Just because it has the tow package doesn't mean it has a break controller. When I picked up my 17' trailer, I didn't have one installed even though my Ford Ranger had the factory tow package, and a quick trip to Cap-It was required. ETI might sell break controllers but I don't think they install them. You're best to make sure.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Adding the Andersen later to the trailer frame is an option, but easier done if ETI does it at delivery time. The angle of the chains coming into the brackets is important as if it is wrong there will be wear on the chain links where they enter the brackets in short order. ETI would have installed enough of these by now to know where on the frame for your particular model length the brackets should be mounted. Quite happy with our Andersen, as it seems easier to hookup than the hanging the bars of a standard WDH. An interesting side note is for our tow vehicle, Honda Ridgeline tech guide does not recommend towing with antisway (). And yes, while the Honda has a factory tow package, it did not have the brake controller ( we added that ourselves but I would recommend only a qualified technician do it). I did see new Fords on the lot that did include the controller so it depends on the make I suppose.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Needing it versus using it are 2 different thoughts. I do not need an Andersen but use it on any long distance trips. You mention being new to towing. The Andersen or Equalizer will provide a safer and more enjoyable towing experience. But each one has it plus and minus and backing up with one requires attention. Towing without either of these can be done and many do. It is a personal preference based upon your comfort level and experience. I do not use one for short trip but do for long trips. I find the truck and trailer combo a bit more ease to handling while using.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Quick correction: Honda does not recommend a WDH for towing, but does advise for a anti-sway if the trailer swings. We're on our second lengthy road trip and use the
Andersen for the anti-sway.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #7

Hiches

Thank you to those that replied to my question....some very helpful advice. We will start by checking with Nissan about the brake controller
Old 04-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' (and used to have a 17b)
Hi Erie: Towing with a Tacoma extended cab 4*4, I was on a trip across Alberta, Sask, and Man and encountered really high winds. Had a bit of sway, so I installed an Anderson. Now I have a 'little' bit of sway. I'm happy with getting a 'little' bit less sway, but it was never a serious problem. As your crew cab is longer than my extended cab, my guess is you would have even less than my 'little' bit. I'd try without any anti-sway before investing. I drove over 15,000 km without any anti-sway before investing in the Anderson - and having never had any other brand such as Equalizer, I have no comparison.
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
We have used both for an almost equal number of miles. I have compared them on our web site. We also have a new Frontier with the tow package. I bought the P3 and installed it myself. All of the info is at Etrailer.com. It was a simple plug install. All our towing has been with the 15, however, not a 19.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieboy View Post
Hi Erie: Towing with a Tacoma extended cab 4*4, I was on a trip across Alberta, Sask, and Man and encountered really high winds. Had a bit of sway, so I installed an Anderson. Now I have a 'little' bit of sway. I'm happy with getting a 'little' bit less sway, but it was never a serious problem. As your crew cab is longer than my extended cab, my guess is you would have even less than my 'little' bit. I'd try without any anti-sway before investing. I drove over 15,000 km without any anti-sway before investing in the Anderson - and having never had any other brand such as Equalizer, I have no comparison.
Taco 4dr long bed 4WD, towed with both types of WDH and the Anderson rides better than the spring bars with sway attached. Also no noises.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #11

Question Backing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Needing it versus using it are 2 different thoughts. I do not need an Andersen but use it on any long distance trips. You mention being new to towing. The Andersen or Equalizer will provide a safer and more enjoyable towing experience. But each one has it plus and minus and backing up with one requires attention. Towing without either of these can be done and many do. It is a personal preference based upon your comfort level and experience. I do not use one for short trip but do for long trips. I find the truck and trailer combo a bit more ease to handling while using.
I hope I'm doing this correctly and responding directly to you.....being totally new to towing when you mentioned that backing up with the equalizer or the Anderson requires attention could you be a bit more specific. Thanks again for your help
Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is no issue backing while using the Andersen, but some conventional w/d set ups require dismantling before back up is attempted. Check with the manufacturer for their recommendations.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is no issue backing while using the Andersen, but some conventional w/d set ups require dismantling before back up is attempted. Check with the manufacturer for their recommendations.

Another reason to chose the Andersen over one that might require removal. I've got better things to do than remove the WDH before backing up.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've never had an issue with backing using my Pro Series WDH from ETI.
I'll look at the Anderson after they've been on the market for another ten years and have dropped the price by a couple hundred dollars.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie View Post
I hope I'm doing this correctly and responding directly to you.....being totally new to towing when you mentioned that backing up with the equalizer or the Anderson requires attention could you be a bit more specific. Thanks again for your help
CP wrote his response, but I can add. At this link I discuss issues backing up

https://sites.google.com/site/ouresc...andersen-hitch

With the Andersen, I would get out and loosen the chains or disconnect the collar, so the hitch is free floating on the ball and not grabbing the brake material. Again, it is not that you can't back up, but with the increased resistance on both types of hitches, it is difficult to "follow" your trailer when you want to straighten out. It will want to continue in the same direction. On the Equal-i-zer, the best way to solve this is to remove the bars. In both cases you would be removing any additional resistance especially in a tight turn situation. We have to do this at home because we have a narrow road and a 90 degree turn to get into the driveway.

Our problem is exacerbated because we have a 15 and a shorter distance between the hitch and the axle and the trailer wants to turn even more quickly than say a 19 or 21 with the tandem axles. Hope this helps with your question.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The WDH from ETI we have is not an Equal-i-zer as far as I know. That is a brand name. ETI is selling something else and calling it an "equalizer" hitch. Theirs may be a Reese, the Pro that Glenn is referring to. We do not remove the bars for backing, not that we couldn't, of course.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #17
Site Team

equalizer vs anderson hitch for towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Our problem is exacerbated because we have a 15 and a shorter distance between the hitch and the axle and the trailer wants to turn even more quickly than say a 19 or 21 with the tandem axles. Hope this helps with your question.

A good point. We never had an issue backing/turning with our 19/Andersen, but it might be a very different experience with a shorter trailer with less space from ball to axle.