Escape 21. Ready to travel weight? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

Trailer: ?
Escape 21. Ready to travel weight?

Still thinking through the weight/towing issues for our on
-order 21’.

Picked this info up from the fiberglass RV forum.

Does it seem reasonable based on your personal experience?

Tried the forum search feature with minimal results so I thought I would ask the pros.

“The average weight of a loaded Escape 21 in our Trailer Weights in the Real World database is 4115# with 543# tongue weight. The range on total weight is pretty small, but the tongue weight range is striking. “

Thanks

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When you're considering the weights of any all-molded towable, checkout Jon's 'Trailer Weights In the Real World' spreadsheet: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...html#post25777
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The holding tanks each can handle up to something like 240 lbs. The black is up front under the bath, the fresh just behind the rear axle, and the grey in front of the front axle. I would think you could have a big swing in tongue weight depending on how much is in any of the tanks. I know it makes a big difference on my somewhat similar 5.0TA.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My 21 Escape classic loaded for 2 weeks on the return from Osoyoos was 500 on tongue and 3800 on the axles=4300# total. I expect the newer 2ndG models to weigh about 200# higher.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21
If the tanks are emptied when leaving the CG, tongue weight should fall below 500 pounds, providing that gear you have isn’t too heavy also. That includes weight in the rear of vehicle too. Most of the E-21 trailers that were weighed, fell slightly below 4000 pounds with a few outliers above that mark; when loaded for camping.

Tongue weight-scales are nice to have, as is a trip to a weigh station.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I recommend the 1000# scale, easier to read increments https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1...s=tongue+scale
Attached Thumbnails
617-ipFJ+1L._SL1206_.jpg  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Ed
I was just looking the Jon Vermilye Escape 21’category. There were eleven entries and only a couple at or above 500 lbs tongue weight. This would seem to indicate an average weight in the 400s somewhere. Most folks these days are concerned with the weight of the newer trailers as that’s what they are going to buy. The earlier 21s were lighter. I know our 21 and a couple others all first generation have a 500 lb tongue weight with a healthy load in the front box and empty storage tanks. We have a heavier than standard mattress which adds to our tongue weight too. The cavernous storage area under the bed is a temptation for even more front end weight. On the other end “ pun intended” the tongue weight can be somewhat mitigated by hauling fresh water in the tank. However this increases the overall tow weight too, even though it may reduce tongue weight somewhat. Next the conversation turns to vehicle limits and the road splits between canyouville and shouldyouville. The road to take here is Discretion Avenue. There’s only a month left in this year so I will not be joining that caravan, I got some work to do in my garage.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Trailer: ?
Thanks everyone.
We gravitate to disbursed camping areas and tend to stay put until our waste tanks are close to full then head to a dump station somewhere.

ETI guesstimates our weight with the options we selected at 3,700- 3,800#
Previous travel experience says we will carry about 500# of stuff and provisions. We tend to the minimalist side of life.
Heading from the woods to a dump station we will likely be carrying 40-50 gallons of fluid for a weight of 400#.

So worse case, I’ll be dragging perhaps 4,700# with likely over 500# tongue weight.

A manageable figure for my TV for, in most cases, a less than 50 mile drive to a dump station.

Our first trip after getting our new trailer will be to Moab. Can’t come soon enough.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I believe the reason for the higher than expected weight for the 21 was because the person posting the weight filtered the list by 21'. That included the 5.0TAs, which raised the value. If you filter by Model, the results as of the 8/12/18 version of the spreadsheet results in AverageTotal weight of 4155 pounds, and an average Tongue Weight of 453 pounds. This is based on 11 trailers, and a mix of 1st & 2nd generation versions.

For what it is worth, I carry everything I'll need (well, try to) for a 8 month trip and mine rings in at 4600/500 pounds.
Here is the link to my version of the Trailer Weights in the Real World. Frederick has given me permission to keep a updated version that can be filtered for size, brand, etc. You can use the "arrows" in the upper right of most columns to filter the list. The averages, etc appear at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

One last point - Note the date. I could use some new weighings!
Old 11-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The real-world information is great, but it is a very small sample, and mostly of the original generation design, which was lighter than the current design.

From the FAQ on the Escape website:
Quote:
What tow vehicle is needed to pull an Escape?
On average, most Escape customers carry about 800lbs – 1,000lbs of cargo with them when they travel and add about 200lbs – 300lbs of options to their Escape Travel Trailer.

Therefore, the
21′ Escape, with a dry weight of 3,210lbs will travel fully loaded at approximately 4,510lbs.
The Escape FAQ doesn't address the tongue weight issue. It does make sense that tongue weight will vary greatly, because it is so dependent on how people load cargo. Front storage boxes and rear cargo carriers can have a huge effect on tongue weight. 453 pounds on the tongue of a 4155 pound total is only 11%. With a front storage box and readily accessible storage under the front bed, it's not surprising to me that the tongue weight fraction goes up when loaded for some people, especially for those who don't carry a full water tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote