Escape brakes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yeah, it's as if they were trying to confuse us - in addition to the Expedition and Explorer there was even the Excursion for a while... all SUVs.
This forum's bias is showing. Everyone conveniently forgetting the small Ford SUV with an E name...
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
That's what I had, hated it. Traded in a 2017 Escape for the 2016 Explorer. More solid and holds a lot more! But, everyone has different needs...
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Good advice here about the Prodigy brake controller. I might add that it is a very easy item to install your self. I believe there are a number of videos about the install or here is a web site from etrailer on the installation. It is located in the glove box on the 2016 and it is a matter of plugging it in using a model specific harness, routing the wire under your dash and mounting the unit with two screws. The screws can go into plastic molding around your knees - depending on where you want the controller.

The advantage of purchasing the $15 harness rather than the one supplied by Ford is the cable includes the correct connector on both sides. The factory model usually has bare wires and you have to install the proper connector. Thus it becomes plug N play.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It doesn't just tell you they're working - it makes them work. It measures how rapidly you are decelerating (how hard you are braking), and provides power to the brakes.

And yes, it has a display which shows the voltage of power it is providing to the brakes, and allows manual application. It is needed.
As I said, it does tell you that they are working (in addition to making them work which you had said in the post previous to mine) because I had them not working many times --- it told me that, when I plugged in and it said we were not plugged in, for instance). Without it tellng you if they are connected, you may have no brakes just as we did not many times (and maybe not know it.) Our new set-up is much less of a problem that way.

That is an important feature that many may disregard because they assume that they have brakes when they hook in the 7-pin. Not always. It also may depend upon where your controller is placed as to whether you see it easily.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #25

The Explorer did not come with a harness and Ford was clueless about one, so I will purchase that with the controller. I tried to search on this site but couldn't type anything in, so I would like any recommendations. It seems that one brand is preferred, but they have several different choices of the non-timer type.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
That's what I had, hated it. Traded in a 2017 Escape for the 2016 Explorer. More solid and holds a lot more! But, everyone has different needs...
I wasn't suggesting that you get one I just thought it was funny that while commenting on the confusion with so many E names there was no mention of the (Ford) Escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Good advice here about the Prodigy brake controller. I might add that it is a very easy item to install your self....
The advantage of purchasing the $15 harness rather than the one supplied by Ford is the cable includes the correct connector on both sides. The factory model usually has bare wires and you have to install the proper connector. Thus it becomes plug N play.
I had the cable end that came with our Jeep but I bought the pre-made cable for from etrailer it's a nice, easy, clean instal. No splices to worry about.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #27

I know. It is funny with all the E names. Thanks for the info. If it's that easy, I will give it a try.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
This forum's bias is showing. Everyone conveniently forgetting the small Ford SUV with an E name...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I wasn't suggesting that you get one I just thought it was funny that while commenting on the confusion with so many E names there was no mention of the (Ford) Escape.
Yes, leading to the maximally confusing Escape pulling Escape rig (17' and smaller only).

The other three are "Ex..." names - even closer to each other - so I just listed those. It could be even worse: All Infinity models now have essentially the same name - all start with "Q" and end with a number, with just an "X" in between for an SUV... and the number doesn't mean anything!

Sorry for the sidetrack - back to Escape (trailer) brakes with an Explorer...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
I know. It is funny with all the E names. Thanks for the info. If it's that easy, I will give it a try.
kkinna, We have a '15 Explorer with the Class III Tow Package. We bought the Tekonsha Prodigy from ETI, and had Trademasters in Chilliwack do the install at time of pick-up. It was about $80 in labor. I highly recommend the Prodigy, and if you are handy, you can save the labor costs and do the install yourself. Our situation was a little different. Good Luck!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I would like any recommendations. It seems that one brand is preferred, but they have several different choices of the non-timer type.
The Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake controller is probably the best I have used and is usually the one most recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...ake+controller
Attached Thumbnails
Tekonsha P3.jpg  
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #31

Trailer: Jayco 2011
ETrailer.com has good information about the requirements for many different vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jsg55337 is offline   Reply With Quote