Excessive hitch wear - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Excessive hitch wear

Jim - it does wear off. I just give it a squirt each time I hook up and it never seems to be a problem.

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I think the bottom line is that one should use a good lubricant, one designed to reduce friction between two metal surfaces. There are lots of different kinds of these available. Vaseline, soap, wax and the like are not meant for these purposes.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #13

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

This was a great thread to read while on our recent 3000+ mile journey back to TX with our new 19. We had started hearing lots of loud squeaking noises when pulling the trailer pretty early in the trip. I checked the ball and definitely noticed wear from the friction/rubbing. So per the advice here, I picked up a small tube of lithium grease to apply to the hitch ball each time prior to hitching up. Although it certainly helped with the wear & tear on the hitch ball and reduced the squeaking noises we'd been hearing, we still hear quite a bit of squeaking. I'm thinking it's possibly the brakes. I'm gonna do more listening this weekend. If it sounds like it's coming from the brakes, I guess I'll try adjusting them (or having someone else adjust them for me ) and ser if that fixes it.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #14

I followed Doug and Jim's advice. I did hand sand the inside of the female component to remove the worst of the burrs. Then I greased the ball, and went on a very twisty road (Oregon Hwy 47). After that, there was no noticeable improvement in the trailer's hitch surface, but the groaning was gone.

I wish that I had greased from the start, but it is too late now.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #15

For all you 5.0'ers out there. Alf put me onto a nylon (teflon, ) washer that you put on the 5.0's tongue, that "lubricates" between the tongue and hitch. Just snaps on quickly, and is very inexpensive at Camping World. That way you don't have to grease it. Works great! Alf or I can attach a picture if anyone needs it.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #16

I too have noticed some sqeaky noises coming from the brakes on my 19' when first starting out in the morning. An RV mechanic told me that this was normal. He said to apply the brakes lightly using the slide bar on the controller to clean off the slight rust that may have formed on the magnets overnight.
On a similar note, I was noticing some brake grab, especially at low speed. A trailer brake adjustment fixed this problem. I was under the misconception that an adjustment was not needed until at least couple of thousand kms. I figure I had about 1000 kms when the grabbing problem showed up. Other than these two problems, the 19' handles and stops extemely well.
52 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #17

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Good to know re: using the slide bar on the controller to warm the brakes up & clean them off a little. However, 52chev also brought up another symptom that I forgot to mention which is the trailer's brakes seem grabby at low speeds for me as well. I've tried adjusting the Prodigy brake controller setting lower but haven't been able to find the sweet spot. Getting a brake adjustment would likely solve this issue for me as well. Especially considering we just put 3200+ miles on them during our trip back to TX.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote