experience with 21 tow vehicle - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #51
Trailer: Escape
We use our truck for hauling and towing. We also tow at 55 mph. The tow vehicle is a 2012 Tundra work truck, regular cab, 8' bed, 6spd trans, 5.8L, 4.3 rear differential. We tow using the tow/haul mode and do not shift out of overdrive except on extreme grades. On the flats with moderate elevation gains the engine does not tach over 3K when the trans downs shifts to 4 gear (1:1ratio). The truck had more than adequate power driving I80 west of Denver. Our overall mileage has been 15-16 mpg towing the Escape 19 with 3650lbs loaded weight.

"Never argue with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlins
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #52
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Sometimes it is better to err on the side of too much than too little.

never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #53
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
I think we're just rehashing the same points again and again. There are pros and cons for each choice.

SUVs: smaller, easier to tool around in once youre unhitched, everything in one enclosure, good mileage while not towing, maybe a better daily driver if your TV and daily driver are the same.

Pickups: better towing capacity, less engine lug or lack of control on steep grades, better mileage than most SUVs when towing.

What's important to you? Go that way. If it were MY 21, it'd be a Ford F150 Ecoboost or a Chevy Silverado Eco3. Maybe a Ram Eco diesel if I could justify the expense and overcome my diesel prejudice.
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #54
Trailer: 2016 21 on order
Originally Posted by moments View Post
We're newbies...received our 21 in mid August. we need to upgrade our tow vehicle and are thinking seriously of the Highlander. Anyone using one to tow and if so are you happy with it. THanks so much.
Hi Moments,

No "real experience" here, sorry. But do appreciate the real world experience, truly, of those that have, and have posted here.

But being a, on the fence 21 owner, I asked the owner of the "Toyota only" shop where my Wife have taken our Toyotas for service the last 20 years, a couple of weeks ago, what he thought of towing a 5000 lb trailer with the Highlander.

His 1st question was, "What's it Drag Coefficient ?" - I had no idea, but maybe a new thread on how to reduce the "sail"?

Next he recommended beefing up the rear suspension, so I groped around and found this :

I think I'm finally done with suspension mods (Coil SumoSprings Install) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Which might be helpful, and at least was for the Highlander owner who took the time to post their towing results.

Beyond that, he just recommended keeping on top of, and doing frequently, the fluid changes, differential & transmission, and didn't think it would be a problem towing.

I was also concerned about taking the Highlander to its limits, given its current towing stats :

2014 Highlander GCWR - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

But wanted a TV that could provide reasonable gas mileage, reliability and comfort for the other 95% of the time its not towing

Please let us know if/when you can add to our Lewis & Clark information on this.

Appreciate it.

Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote