Extended towing mirrors - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #21

Re: Extended towing mirrors

We started out using the Tow-n-See mirrors in '09, but found after a few hundred km that we really didn't need them. Our van's original equipment mirrors, properly adjusted, let us see straight back along the sides of the trailer, and we've done okay on both freeways and secondary/side roads -- never been taken unawares by traffic from behind, except for an idiot who shot by us on the right shoulder of a right-curving exit ramp from 407 to 427 in Ontario. He wouldn't have been visible in any mirror. When towing, we typically drive 90-100 kmh on paved roads, and stay in the right-most lane except when overtaking something.

The problem we had with the Tow-n-See was that we ended up with four mirrors, two on each side, as the suction-cup installation doesn't obscure the OE mirrors completely. Trying to reconcile two different views of the same traffic got a little confusing sometimes. The wakes of oncoming semis, however, didn't bother their position, nor did they vibrate.

We tow a 17A with a Dodge Grand Caravan. Our understanding is that all 15 and 17 Escapes are relatively narrow, but the 19 is about fourteen inches wider. Don't know if we'd have the same success towing a 19.
And I must follow . . .
'09 17A with accessibility modifications
majaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

The 19 is only 4" wider than the 15 and 17. I am guilty of being lazy for many shorter trips and not using tow mirrors. They definitely help though. The thing to do with the two mirrors, is to first look in the tow mirrors as they give a better view, then once you have confirmed all is clear you can use the vehicle mirrors to maneuver if you prefer.

Not certain how the legislation reads, but I have heard that there are places that they are mandatory when towing. I know my pickup does not need them as it is wide to start with and the side mirrors slide out an additional 8" as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

I've been researching the laws regarding towing mirrors in the U.S. There are variations, but I keep seeing a requirement that you be able to see at least 200 feet to the rear of your vehicle. See http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-mirrors/ This 200-feet rule strikes me as too vague. 200 feet in your lane? 200 feet in the adjacent lane?

Other articles say unequivocally that you need towing mirrors if your tow vehicle is narrower than your trailer, and that you need to be able to see the full length of the sides of your trailer.

The following diagram and article, although British, and not showing U.S. dimensions, is a good one, I think:

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/featur...owing-mirrors-$21380477.htm

I'm struggling to get the link to work....you must include the $21380477.htm.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha

I'm struggling to get the link to work....you must include the $21380477.htm.

LINK

Some good info there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #25

Jim, thanks a lot for solving that link problem! --Liz
Old 02-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho

I think the best add on mirrror depends a lot on your installed mirror.

I had the CIPA mirrors that others have used favorably but on my Sequoia they had a tendency to slip off or droop. Even with added zip-ties for a bit of extra security I had one fall off on the freeway. http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11960-Uni...4063690&sr=8-1

I now use the clip on that others like and I think it is much better for me. It is more secure and stable for my Sequoia. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #27

There's egg on my face re saying the 19 is "fourteen" inches wider than the 15s and 17s -- of course, the difference is only 4". I guess an unexpected "teen" made a nuisance of itself; any parent will remember that "teens" do unexpected and disconcerting things.

Regarding the 200' rule, it seems the concern would be that you could see traffic in your lane 200 feet behind the trailer. Applying some rough-and-ready trigonometry, I could then see anything wider than 30" that was 200 feet behind our 17, using the van's built-in mirrors -- and even a 30" wide motorbike would have to be dead centre of the trailer to be invisible at that distance.

A lot depends upon how much the vehicle's mirrors stick out beyond the sides of the trailer, and whether or not they are adjusted outwards enough to let you see clearly along the side of the trailer. With a narrow TV and a 19, that might be hard to set up. And of course, laws stipulating the use of extra mirrors would be a wild card that one would have to look out for.

And I must follow . . .
'09 17A with accessibility modifications
majaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by majaross
There's egg on my face re saying the 19 is "fourteen" inches wider than the 15s and 17s -- of course, the difference is only 4". I guess an unexpected "teen" made a nuisance of itself; any parent will remember that "teens" do unexpected and disconcerting things.
Can't put that reasoning on our teenage kids only, though my three did offer their challenges. Heck, I still remember well being that nuisance (to put it mildly) teen myself.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 17

These get good reviews from tacoma and tundra owners
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...w-mirror/21154
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp
These get good reviews from tacoma and tundra owners
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...w-mirror/21154
Those are the ones I have, and though they work okay, I am not too thrilled with them all in all. The rubber cup protectors that hold against the front of the vehicle mirror keep falling off. I replaced them with felt meant for furniture on hardwood, but it is not sticky enough and the mirrors start to sag. I need to find something sticker to use, and they may work better.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I'm still happy with my Tow-N-See mirrors, even if the name is dumb.

baglo
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Jim Bennett... Try some Lepages "No More Nails" tape. you can cut it to shape...peel and stick. Make sure things line up as there's no second chance. Our full length mirror has been stuck to the bathroom door of "Our Escape Hatch" since 2008. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #33

Alf, are both sides sticky? I don't want to permanently attach it to my car mirror.

I wonder if the company would send me more of the little pads, I should try them.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Jim Bennett...This could be a very sticky solution. Yes No More Nails is sticky on both sides!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha
We just ordered towing mirrors that I haven't seen before on this forum--Aero 2 Towing Mirrors by Milenco.
Our Milenco towing mirrors have arrived, but we won't be towing with them for a few months yet. They look well-engineered and well-made, and we really like the clamping system.

Here is a big CAUTION, however:

The genuine "standard" Aero 2, as sold in Europe, has an arm length of 31 cm., and that's what we thought we were buying.

In the U.S. and Canada, however, there is only one distributor, JR Products, and they sell only the Aero 2 XXL, which has an extra-long arm length of 41 cm. Yet, they are selling the Aero 2 XXL under the name Aero 2 on Amazon.com.

Just wanted you Escapees to be aware so you know what you're getting if you order on this side of the Atlantic. If you want really long arms, you'll be happy. If you want short arms, well........

Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #36

See our customer images of the Aero towing mirrors on a Ford Flex at http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-AE...9338051&sr=8-1
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01903sm.JPG  
Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #37

I posted this question on the Amazon site, before I realized it was your customer comments, so I'll repeat myself; Is it possible to saw a bit off the mounting arms in order to move them in closer to the regular mirrors?

Dave
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
I posted this question on the Amazon site, before I realized it was your customer comments, so I'll repeat myself; Is it possible to saw a bit off the mounting arms in order to move them in closer to the regular mirrors?

Dave
Hi Dave,

I'll repeat my answer here for the interest of the Escape forum-- JR Products says that this is possible, and at first recommended it as one possible solution. They later retracted that recommendation. In communicating with them about this we learned also that the arm is powder coated tube steel. JR said, "If you cut it (with a hacksaw) you will need to make sure you use a rust proof paint on the exposed end before you put the rubber plug back on again." I pass this on in case anybody else needs this information.

Liz

Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #39

Thank you. I'm good friends with Rust-o-Leum...so it should be pretty easy.

Dave
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Thank you. I'm good friends with Rust-o-Leum...so it should be pretty easy.

Dave
So, Dave, I take it you are getting/have gotten the Aero towing mirrors and plan to slice some length off of the arms? Oh, I hope so! We would love to hear how that goes.

We've never owned towing mirrors before, but we've roughly figured that the outside point of the tear-drop will be 15" wider than the Escape 19 on each side. To us that seems like a lot. Do you have an opinion on that?

Since we don't have our Escape yet, there's no way we can test the set-up. Our latest thought is to take the hacksaw and miter box up to Chilliwack, and if we still want shorter arms after we pick up the Escape 19, we can saw them off in some beautiful national park while camping! We'll be traveling for nearly a month before we get back home, so that would make for a lot of miles with mirror arms that are too long.

Liz