Flat tire - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Re: Flat tire

Good to know. Yikes, another $ 145, but better than another flat or blowout down the road. Thanks mucho.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Where do you find the date of manufacture? I'd like to insist that I get fresh tires when I replace mine. What's reasonable to expect when it comes to inventory?

baglo
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: gbaglo...The date of mfg. is on the inside sidewall of each tire, stamped in a raised oval. It will be a 4 digit # ie: (2807) means 28th week of 2007. (4011) should be this week...I think. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Advice differs:

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-...uidelines.aspx

is for Goodyear RV tires. Says replacement after 5-7 years and tells you what to look for in wear.

And, it says you need to use your RV. More use results in longer life for the tires.

Interesting.

baglo
Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Goodyear's storage page has many suggestions too: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #26

Just read it -- that's good stuff to know.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

Why not take your trailer to a reputable tire shop and ask the tech if the tires need replacing.
The ought to tell you!
Remember...nobody changes their headlight because they haven't burnt out lately!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac
<snip>
Remember...nobody changes their headlight because they haven't burnt out lately!
I gotta call a linearity foul. If headlights had a known and published (by the manufacturers at that) life-span, and the consequences of failing to change them was a potential accident, you'd change them before they burned out. By your logic, the ONLY time you'd get new tires was when they "burned out" (blew), not "wore out" or reached the end of their life-span.

Nope, I'm getting new tires every 4 years, regardless of their mileage.

Dave
Old 10-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #29

Dave, are you going to change the tires on your truck too?
Headlight do have a life span and driving with out them an a country road can be a touch daunting.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #30

Yep, I change the tires on my truck when they show enough wear. A set typically lasts me about 2.5 - 3 years. The difference is, trailer tires typically do not show the wear you see on car tires. They simply follow along, with minimal scrubbing compared to car tires. You get no cues as to their condition, such as you get from the tread wear indicators on car tires.

As to your second point, I've never had more than one headlight go at any given time...and had no trouble continuing to my destination.

We all make our own choices. I will buy new, high quality tires when needed (both for car and trailer), and will change my headlights (yes, I change both) when one goes out. I've been in the aviation business too long to skimp on safety-related items.

Dave
Old 10-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #31

I think I'm one of those that doesn't understand binary
Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #32

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: All...Now you've got me worried!!! My tires are dated 2807. (28th week of '07).
I had all three valve stems replaced due to cracking. Reports of tire failures, I believe, were from stem failures causing rapid decompression of the tire. I think that Goodyear was getting a bum wrap from the defective stems. Even the one on the unused spare was bad. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
OK you guys, you put the "POX" on us!!!! Leaving for our mission trip in the Eastern KY Appalachians, we were traveling up I-77 at 70mph when this guy comes up beside me pointing at something in the back of Hokie. Thinking one of our bikes might be loose, I took the next exit (about 2 miles). When I got out, lo and behold, our back left trailer tire was FLAT!!! I'd not felt ANYTHING!!!! I had no idea it was flat...the truck and trailer were tracking true as can be through those West Virgina mountains, and who knows how long it had been flat?
We changed the tire (thanks to another RV'er at the gas station who had a small floor jack, and cordless air impact drill in his truck (might have been an angel actually). When we got to KY, I took the flat to the tire place...and what was the problem??...the stem!!!! So when we get home, the other two stems are getting a change job too!
So:
1- check those stems..replace with ones with metal tubes in them (high pressure stems)
2- always listen to and heed Alf
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #33

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Hey Alf, if you had the 19 footer, you wouldn't need a jack, just drive the good wheel up on some leveling blocks. And with the dual axles, you could drive a considerable distance, though not recommended.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #34

I bought and installed the Tire Traker (yeah, that's how it's spelled) system. Setting it up and programming it was easy, and the first trip with it starts Sunday. It continuously reads temp and pressure for each tire on our 19, and sounds an audible alarm if there's a problem. When I tried to bring up their website for this post, however, it's no longer active. Hopefully, they'll have it back soon. I do have their phone # -- 936-329-2364.