Flat tire - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Flat tire

While heading out on a trip to Santa Cruz a bit over a week ago, we had a flat occur on our 19. I've only towed for two years (and, first trailer ever) and never had a flat before. I had checked the tire pressure before leaving (44 lbs.) and the flat occurred about an hour into the trip. I'm pretty sure we ran over something that punctured the tire, but I had no idea anything was wrong until i noticed a small, weird vibration and noticed that the trailer was tilting a bit.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: Flat tire

If you'd had a single axle Bruce, you'd have had a Major tilt! One great thing about dual axles!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

The advantage of the single axle is that you find out you have a flat before the flailing tire bits rip the wheel well apart.

baglo
Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #4

Speaking of blow-outs. I remember many discussions about the Goodyear tire's failure rate on the Casita forums. There seemed to be a perfect storm for blow-outs on hot days; older tires (UV-damaged?), and a heavily loaded trailer. Quite a few folks (myself included, after my own blow-out) switched to the Kuhmo tires in response to that problem.

I remember reading somewhere that the "expiration date" for tires was about five years, and after that, regardless of tread wear or mileage, there was a lessening of the rubber's integrity, and they should be changed. Anyone have any factual knowledge?

Dave
Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Age of Trailer Tires

I think you are on the money with your analysis of tire failure and tire life expectancy. It certainly agrees with the opinion I have formed in reading the same forums.

In my mind I am already set to replace all four and possibily five tires after five years. I believe that will reduce my chances of on the road failure. Here is a draw back to having a tandem axle, more tires to buy.

Brands and models are impossible to measure as we do not have enough "factual knolwledge". We do know that age, heat and weight contribute, that is measureable. The best lesson is trailer tires do not wear out, they age out.

The Casita forum series on Goodyear Marathon tires was interesting but so much of that was based on anecdotal evidence, there was not the factual knowledge present. The big issues was and is: Do Goodyear Marathon tires fail more that other brands? Only the manufactures can answer that. Somehow I do not think we will be hearing from them. I believe the Marathon tire is a top seller, therefore we will see more comments on failure, however that is not a statistically significant measurement.

Again the methods of measuring lifespan is different with trailer tires, you cannot apply the automobile methods of tread depth and shape of tire in determining life. It is all based on tire age.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...Now you've got me worried!!! My tires are dated 2807. (28th week of '07).
I had all three valve stems replaced due to cracking. Reports of tire failures, I believe, were from stem failures causing rapid decompression of the tire. I think that Goodyear was getting a bum wrap from the defective stems. Even the one on the unused spare was bad.
When I wash any of my vehicles I use Meguiars Wax Wash with UV protectors and I wash the tires too!!! So far So good as I've not run over any "Asphalt Alligators" or other road hazzards while towing.
Remember "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Jeff turned me on to a simple remote pressure sensing system in his earlier response in Flat Tire part two: https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TT400C-4

I ordered one today. The cost isn't that much more than I paid for the replacement tire. Unless I suffer a blowout in the future, I figure on having a fighting chance to save a tire losing pressure. After I receive it and use it on an upcoming trip to Yosemite, I'll post as to how I like it.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #8

Their are trailer valve stems. They are shorter than the truck and car valve stems. You could have metal valve stems installed.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #9

I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of any substance/stuff you spray only on the face of a tire. The entire back side and tread are exposed, if not to ultra-violet light, to ozone. I've read several articles indicating ozone has as deleterious effect as UV light on rubber. I plan on putting new tires on our 5.0 every four years as part of routine maintenance.

Regardless of your tire-changing fanaticism, be sure you use only trailer tires and keep them properly inflated. Preventative maintenance can lead to a lot of well-being.

Dave
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I think the metal stems are well worth the expense.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Metal stems are not required unless you get to 80 psi or more. They are also more prone to breaking if they get hit, off-road and ATV enthusiasts use rubber, but really should not be too much of an issue on an RV. They also get the nice shiny caps stolen a lot for some reason, darn punks.

But if you want bling, they sure do look prettier. Both perform just fine, so I will stay the cheaper route.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
davel

Rookie question: it is pointed out to only use trailer tires, why? My logic leads me to guess that it may have to do with tire pressure or sidewall stiffness

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #13

The issues are teh load on the tire and sidewall stiffness. See here:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos

There are lots of other resources for further explanation. I even saw a statement alleging problems with insurance if there were an accident and you had "improper" tires. Can't believe everything (almost anything?) you read on the internet, but that is food for thought.

Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #14

I have a friend who had car tires on a trailer when he bought it. He had a terrible time with sway. Once he put proper trailer tires on it, with much higher pressure and stiffer sidewalls, the problem went away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

Dave

Nice article you found at discount tires. There were a number of points that caught my eye and I thought I would highlight them below. It is also a good idea to read the entire article as there are numerous cautions and safeguards.

• As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
• The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.
• In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
• Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
• It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
• The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

Bruce, here is one that applies to you and me:
• If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire is likely to have been subjected to excessive loading.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #16

Thanks Paul,
I never tire of these things.

Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #17

Paul, not too sure I would worry on that last point. These tires are rated to carry the whole load on one side. Never hurts to be cautious though.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I'll be due for new tires next year ( at 4 years - to be safe ), but I think I'll hold off for a few more years on replacing the spare. It is inside a garbage bag, inside the tire cover and has been there since the trailer was new. Am I making a foolish assumption that it's protected from UV and thus in good shape?

baglo
Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #19

I'd personally take that risk...at worst, you'll only be driving on it for a short distance.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...I'm going to "Retire" in two years so that should make quite a difference.
My tires have been from B.C. to Alaska, thru Alberta to Ontario. East to P.E.I. and various of the lower 48 States and I'm still not treading on thin rubber!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote