Flat tire? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
ashleymeadow

Flat tire?

We are getting ready for a really long trip in late May through mid-June. It suddenly occurred to me that I have no spare tire or jack on board. I would like to know what other Escapees have done to plan for this ugly thought. It could be a real problem when I we are in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire.

Does anyone recommend the instant flat fixes in a can?

Jerry

I have a spare (duh!). I meant to write, tire iron.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #2

Re: Flat tire?

I absolutely recommend those fix-a-flat things...although you will hear screams of protest from the Flat Tire Repairers Appreciation Society. Some argue this makes the job of the tire repair guys more difficult...I frankly can't worry about that when I'm stuck on the side of the road. I removed the spare from the rear of our old Casita and carried it in the back of my truck...along with a jack AND a can of fix-a-flat.

There was also the time I took the truck in for an oil change and they topped up all the fluids and checked the tire pressure. We towed the Casita into a beautiful, remote, primitive site in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains, set up camp, and then drove an additional 10 miles down a gravel road to a favorite swimming hole. I parked and heard a hissing sound, spotted the flattening tire, and changed it. On the way back, about 8 miles from our campsite, the second tire BLEW! All we could do was limp back on the blown tire (and eventually, on the rim). It turns out, the oil change dudes decided since it was a truck, they should inflate the tires to 50 psi, even though the recommended maximum was 32 psi. The only thing I could have used the can of fix-a-flat for was to beat the oil change dudes about the head and shoulders.

The best choice (after never having a flat at all) is to have a good, properly inflated spare and all the tools needed to change your tire. Don't forget the can of fix-a-flat.

JMHO;

Dave
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I no longer carry the can. Read too many negative things about it, and I make sure I have good tires and a spare.

From personal experience, I can recommend that you store your can of fix-a-flat carefully. I kept a can in a backpack with a bunch of other potentially useful stuff and somehow the can released its contents. I can attest that it creates a mess ( I threw most stuff out ) so I'm not surprised the tire guys don't like it.

baglo
Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

To help prevent one source of flats, I highly recommend metal valve stems on all trailer rims. A flat on your tow vehicle is usually easy to detect when it happens, but you can pull a trailer a long way with a flat, destroy the tire and sometimes damage the trailer. Many of us camp in places with rough roads and the metal stems are much more resistant to damage.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I have been reading on "another" forum (that will remain unnamed ). Anyway according to the postings, Scamp and Casita owners seems to be having an epidemic of tire failures causing damage to their eggs. I suspect it is from over loading the tires, but out of curiosity have any of you experienced tire failure on your Escapes?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #6

The road into the Skagit Valley near Hope, BC is notorious for destroying tires. We would get a flat almost every trip, either on the tow or tent trailer. I've made the trip twice now with my Escape and Marathon tires with no issues.

But, what I wanted to point out is that if you are traveling on rough roads like the Skagit access, you should also tighten your lug nuts. On one trip we not only had to replace the tire, but the wheel. Loose nuts and the washboard enlarged and elongated the holes for the lug nuts on the tent trailer.

And, if you have the wheels on your tow rotated, and if they are aluminum, you should go back after a few days and have the nuts re-torqued.

baglo
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #7

Glenn good info. I am hoping that the lack of any responses means that tire problems on Escapes are minimal. Looking at the Goodyear weight rating chart:http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf it looks like the ST205/75R14 on the 17s provide a large amount of weight capacity - much larger than any reasonable loading of even our heavier 17B should attain. Of course all those 12 packs could push it over......

Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

I read about these new tire pressure and temperature monitoring systems. They seem reasonably priced compared to what they had been :
http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.html $159 for two sensors and the monitor.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Hi,
Do any of the Escape trailers come with tire changing gear.? Like a jack and wheel wrench.
And another question...Has anyone noticed if the trailer hitch is off set to the drivers side so that the trailer doesn't ride the shoulder of the road. The way to tell is when you look in your mirrors you see more trailer on the drivers side than on the passenger side. Or is it centered.?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #10

The Escape comes with everything you need, including a spare. The hitch is centered, as it should be.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I went through a bad flat tire scenario last fall. Use the "Search" button above to look for "Falt (my typo) Tire", " Flat Tire", and "Tire Traker". Lots of info there. Also, I bought and carry a good bottle jack and collapsible 4-way lug wrench. And, I had metal valve stems installed. Hopefully, I've nuked the tire problem.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
The Escape comes with everything you need, including a spare. The hitch is centered, as it should be.
I donno. Mine didn't come with a jack or lug wrench, unless I just haven't found them since July 2008.

I carry a small hydraulic jack and a lug wrench, but they didn't come with the trailer.

baglo
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #13

I'll ask where the jack is stored and where the jack points are. There may be reinforced areas on the frame to jack up with out bending the frame.The bottle jack in the truck should be go to use.What size would the lug nuts be.?
Asa or metric.?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...I've never had a flat original tire since we've owned "Our Escape Hatch". The truck jack would work...but so would CAA+ RV. and we have both. The wheel berrings are repacked and brakes checked& adjusted annually which takes care of the wheels. Cost about 50 bucks and well worth it. When it comes to new rubber for the trailer I might get a new pair of Aluminium rims too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

For weight reasons, I would just make certain that you have a wrench the right size, and can use the vehicle jack if needed. No jacking on the axle either.

As far as an offset hitch goes, I have never heard of a thin like that, and I have pulled 100's of different trailers of all types and sizes. It would be a very dangerous thing, as you would be pulling a load off center.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymeadow
We are getting ready for a really long trip in late May through mid-June. It suddenly occurred to me that I have no spare tire or jack on board. I would like to know what other Escapees have done to plan for this ugly thought. It could be a real problem when I we are in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire.

Does anyone recommend the instant flat fixes in a can?

Jerry

I have a spare (duh!). I meant to write, tire iron.
I never leave the drive way with out a spare...a good one....that's gospel. If I have a flat I plug in the spare and get the flat repaired or replaced. ASAP
And that foam stuff.... No way The wife's new Honda Fit came with that.(no spare) Took me two weeks but its got a real tire for a spare now. With all the stuff she carries in the back the poor little car. It will never know the difference. weight wise.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #17

I've heard that the tire guys hate that flat fix in a can.

And, then I found this on a site promoting the stuff:

Warning: There is some evidence that aerosol tire sealers can harm TPMS (Tire Pressure Management Systems). If your car is equipped with tire pressure warnings, please consult the manufacturer before you add a can to your roadside emergency kit.

baglo