Frontal Area - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #121

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I thought everyone had a Scan Gauge and I was the only one with an Ultragauge

Mine's a couple of years old and I don't think it reads transmission temperature on my Ford Ranger. Did you have to put in any specific codes to make it useable on your Tacoma?

Ron
UltraGauge has recently introduced a new model, MX 1.3, which can display the transmission temp. I did have to input specific codes to make it useable on the Tacoma. UltraGuage has a program to update their EM v1.2 model to the MX 1.3 for $15 plus shipping.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I've never seen a tongue weight limit (or any trailer-specific limit) on a door placard, but of course I haven't come close to looking at every vehicle.

The 2015 Grand Cherokee owner's manual from the Jeep Owners Site may be useful. About the placard, it says:

This doesn't even have payload, which I find surprising, so perhaps there's more on the label than listed in the manual.

This is all the manual says about tongue weight:

... in other words, over 525 pounds of hitch weight, they require WD. This won't vary due to the different curb weight of different versions of the vehicle (such as diesel versus the other engines).
Thanks for the information on the tongue weight limits. I am curious about the payload for the Jeep GC as the specs for my Tacoma shows 1280 lbs, but the actual payload for my truck is 1050 lbs. This is a limiting factor when I consider full tank of fuel, passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight. The payload numbers for the Jeep GC that I have seen online vary from 1170 to 1290. Just wondering what the real world payload value. I guess I need to visit a dealer.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #123

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: ATHiker... I'd check to make sure that a full tank of fuel isn't already included in the equation. Everyone knows "You can't leave home without it!!!". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #124

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
UltraGuage has a program to update their EM v1.2 model to the MX 1.3 for $15 plus shipping.
Thanks, it'd be handy to have transmission temperature. Maybe they'll reduce the $15 by the amount of the rebate they never sent me

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #125

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Has anybody tried one of these type iPhone or Android apps - like this one? : Engine Link along with something like this: Engine Link OBD

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #126

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Has anybody tried one of these type iPhone or Android apps - like this one? : Engine Link along with something like this: Engine Link OBD
I used Torque with very good success with a $25 Bluetooth dongle from amazon. Sort of a pain if using your active cell phone. Later used an old smart phone dedicated and was much handier. Does not have to be activated, just download through WiFi. Since I replaced my tow with Silverado having trans temp I no longer use. Worked well with old Trailblazer.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #127

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I am curious about the payload for the Jeep GC as the specs for my Tacoma shows 1280 lbs, but the actual payload for my truck is 1050 lbs. This is a limiting factor when I consider full tank of fuel, passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight.
That's a common problem: the best possible payload is based on zero options, and actual vehicles have varying amount of option weight. Some owners of travel trailers like Escapes have found that although they are well under their allowed trailer weight limit, they run out of payload capacity even with a full-sized pickup truck. It's good to check!

Quote:
The payload numbers for the Jeep GC that I have seen online vary from 1170 to 1290. Just wondering what the real world payload value. I guess I need to visit a dealer.
I don't know if even the dealer will be able to help, or if the placard at the driver's door will list an actual payload or a worst possible payload (assuming all options - I've seen that done).

Ideal of course, is to get a real curb weight for the vehicle with the specific level of equipment of your choice, but unless an owner has done that it would be a difficult number to find. Personally, I would assume the worst.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #128

Quote:
... but the actual payload for my truck is 1050 lbs. This is a limiting factor when I consider full tank of fuel, passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
... I'd check to make sure that a full tank of fuel isn't already included in the equation.
Good catch, Alf! Curb weight normally includes a full tank of fuel.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #129

Quote:
Hi: ATHiker... I'd check to make sure that a full tank of fuel isn't already included in the equation. Everyone knows "You can't leave home without it!!!". Alf
You're right, its hard to get anywhere without it!
Old 12-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #130

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
You're right, its hard to get anywhere without it!
Hi: ATHiker... Also included is a driver...although "Slim Fast" is optional!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #131

Quote:
Hi: ATHiker... Also included is a driver...although "Slim Fast" is optional!!!
I don't think curb weight would normally include a driver allowance, because the driver is not part of the vehicle. The driver would normally need to be included in the payload. Rated towing capacity is normally calculated with a fixed driver weight allowance... although I think most of us are heftier than the allowance.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #132

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
BUT, lets not get back to that riveting discussion on poutine !!!
Poutine? Somebody mention poutine
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #133

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Yesterday Greggo and I were deeply discussing this "Frontal Area" thread and he mentioned that I now have adjustable frontal area with my new tilt-up solar panel system and that there may be advantages or disadvantages to running with the panels up all the time. That would save me some time when I set up camp. I already get crappy mileage pulling the trailer so I'm thinking the additional drag from the panels may give me better stability and improved traction. Why not run with them popped up and see what happens? What do you think?
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #134

No Steve, I don't think your panels are ideal; you need one of these real wings... without the car underneath, and without the asymmetry.

By the way, adding drag on top of the trailer pulls it back, and the tongue up, which is not good for the tug's rear axle traction and thus for stability.
Attached Thumbnails
SprintCar.jpg  
Old 12-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #135

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Better traction would come from rear wheel drive; that's why Formula One racecars use it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #136

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Sails! It works on sailing ships! Ha!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #137

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've seen lots of those solar arrays on the NASA site.
If you could launch it into space it would work great.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:04 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Better traction would come from rear wheel drive; that's why Formula One racecars use it.
Hmm... not a lot of front-heavy F1 cars, are there? Not many family SUVs which accelerate at over 1 G, either. Perhaps the traction scenarios are not quite comparable. But big wings are definitely the ticket, the sprint and F1 cars prove it!

Okay, Steve: the big wing goes on the Pilot, and then it won't matter whether the panels are left up or not... but you'll want a slightly more powerful Honda V6 (more than double the power), although it's only a 1.6 litre.
Attached Thumbnails
honda-f1-power-unit-443x289.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 AM   #139

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
ATHiker - I'm sorry I didn't see your question until now although someone did direct you toward the 2015 Jeep GC Manual. I have the 2014 3.0L Diesel 4x4 and it was listed in my manual as 7200 max. GTW and 720 max. trailer tongue weight.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #140

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Yesterday Greggo and I were deeply discussing this "Frontal Area" thread and he mentioned that I now have adjustable frontal area with my new tilt-up solar panel system and that there may be advantages or disadvantages to running with the panels up all the time. That would save me some time when I set up camp. What do you think?
Save time? Why rush?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote