Frontier or Tacoma for 5.0? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 5.0
Frontier or Tacoma for 5.0?

Hello, all.
We are in the process of purchasing a 2013 Escape 5.0, and also shopping for a tow vehicle. It looks like a lot of folks have experience using a Nissan Frontier as a tow vehicle, and a few with a Tacoma (V6, tow package). I'd really appreciate hearing any comments, advice, etc. about making this choice. Thanks!
Roke W.

Roke W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
We have a 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro4X crew cab with short bed (5') Works well with our 5.0 Classic. If we had to do anything different we would have gotten a longer bed...but it would not fit in our garage. It tows well and handles well. We are right at the payload capacity with the 5.0 Classic pin weight of about 720.
We use the B&W Patriot hitch because you can position the head back a few inches....we had to mount our hitch a bit behind the axle so moving the hitch head back gave us a bit more room for turning. It is not a slider hitch.

Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
I tow a 5.0 single axle with a Frontier long bed. No problems towing but the limiting factor of both the Frontier and Tacoma is the cargo capacity which is around 1200 - 1300 pounds depending on the model. The pin weight of the 5.0 plus stuff carried in the truck's bed, plus passengers, plus, plus, plus can easily approach the capacity.

When I decided on the Frontier I believe the Toyota had a weaker rear end and lower cargo capacity than the Nissan. Newer models may be different ...
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
We have a 2011 Nissan Frontier 2WD King cab long bed (about 6 foot?), pulling a classic 5.0. It has all the power we need, but the weight in the bed is about as much as we'd like.

Our deciding factor was the really good price we got at the time That and the towing capacity was plenty on the model we chose.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke W View Post
Hello, all.
We are in the process of purchasing a 2013 Escape 5.0, and also shopping for a tow vehicle. It looks like a lot of folks have experience using a Nissan Frontier as a tow vehicle, and a few with a Tacoma (V6, tow package). I'd really appreciate hearing any comments, advice, etc. about making this choice. Thanks!
Roke W.
Hi: Roke... Can't say enough good about the Nissan Frontier. Our 2010 has now pulled both a 5.0 and a 5.0TA with ease. We have a 4X4 SE longbed and the standard suspension is fine...no helpers required. Got almost 60,000 mi. on the clock without problems. The turning radius takes some getting used to, but it's easy if you've had a boat or a bus!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Together again.jpg (93.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1030715.jpg (373.9 KB, 17 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Roke

You asked about 4x4 on fgrv. Here is our thread if you haven't seen it.

2 Wheel Vs. 4 Wheel Drive
Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Last September we went to the Grand canyon and back with a friend who pulls his 5.0 with a Nissan Frontier. We have a 5.0 with a Ford F150 5.4 V8. I could not keep up to the Nissan and he used a couple of gallons less fuel at each fill up. Also we had a person interested in buying our 5.0 to pull with his Toyota Tacoma. Toyota would not honour his warranty if a 5th wheel hitch was installed (drilling holes in the frame/bed is apparently the issue). Nevertheless the Toyota looked like it could pull the 5.0 all day long. I have seen many Tacomas pulling construction trailers loaded to the hilt. My friend did install passive air bags (Timbren) in the Frontier which he said improved handling immensely.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Last September we went to the Grand canyon and back with a friend who pulls his 5.0 with a Nissan Frontier. We have a 5.0 with a Ford F150 5.4 V8. I could not keep up to the Nissan and he used a couple of gallons less fuel at each fill up. Also we had a person interested in buying our 5.0 to pull with his Toyota Tacoma. Toyota would not honour his warranty if a 5th wheel hitch was installed (drilling holes in the frame/bed is apparently the issue). Nevertheless the Toyota looked like it could pull the 5.0 all day long. I have seen many Tacomas pulling construction trailers loaded to the hilt. My friend did install passive air bags (Timbren) in the Frontier which he said improved handling immensely.
Hi: GerriJ... The only holes drilled in our truck were thru the box floor. The frame brackets from our GMC were re used and the bolts fished through holes already in the frame... 2 small holes for the 7 pin bracket too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020904.jpg (262.6 KB, 12 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Hi Alf, as I understand it, its the Tacoma that has a warranty issue with the 5th wheel hitch.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Hi Alf, as I understand it, its the Tacoma that has a warranty issue with the 5th wheel hitch.
When we went to have the fifth wheel hitch installed in our Frontier, the installation shop said they had called Nissan and were told the Frontier could not tow a fifth wheel and that drilling anywhere on the frame would invalidate all warranties. The installation guys worked out an arrangement whereby they did not drill into the frame at all. But we just close the tonneau cover whenever it goes into Nissan for service . It's the same old problem about assuming all fifth wheels are the big monster trailers...

Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote