Frontier vs. Tacoma ??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Frontier vs. Tacoma ???

Which would be a better choice to tow an Escape 5.0?

(If this thread already exists on this forum, or elsewhere, please point me to it.)

These vehicles are quite similar--I think either one would be fine. Everyone loves the vehicle they picked out and already own.

However, I would like to hear what advantages either of these vehicles has over the other. Or, if you have had a bad experience with one or the other, please explain.

Incidentally, is the optional 4WD worth the initial cost and slight decrease in fuel economy?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Rich
aldertree2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I know of at least one member here that tows a 5th with a Frontier- Escape Artist Alf- maybe when he wakes up from his nap he can offer some insightful advice- you there Alf?? All kidding aside, he has a job unlike some of us who are no longer employed, so he will chime in eventually.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldertree2 View Post
However, I would like to hear what advantages either of these vehicles has over the other.
I went through this a month ago and settled on the Tacoma. One of the main driving factors was the lack of Frontiers available; the 2013 won't be out for a few months and there was no information about what this year would bring.
The Frontier has a few things going for it like a little more power and lower cost but I have been very happy with the other Toyotas I have owned and the Tacoma comes very highly rated in the reviews I have read.
As for the 4x4, my wife really wanted it. I'm not sure why after I totaled the last 4x4 (rolled it down a hill). I have taken it out on dirt roads once and it handled nicely. I got the TRD Offroad version and played around with the A-TRAC option (limits wheel slip) and it works nicely. I'm hoping to get into some dirt next weekend depending on weather.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldertree2 View Post
Which would be a better choice to tow an Escape 5.0?

(If this thread already exists on this forum, or elsewhere, please point me to it.)

These vehicles are quite similar--I think either one would be fine. Everyone loves the vehicle they picked out and already own.

However, I would like to hear what advantages either of these vehicles has over the other. Or, if you have had a bad experience with one or the other, please explain.

Incidentally, is the optional 4WD worth the initial cost and slight decrease in fuel economy?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Rich
Hi: aldertree... I chose the Frontier for the price, suspension, and metal box. That said the suspension of the Taco. can be beefed up and a good hitch installer can work around the composit box. I like the 4X4 with only 1mpg less. I still have to get to work in the winters bad weather too!!!
Both trucks get the same rating with a slight advantage to the Frontier. The reason they're so rare is they sell every one and they moved production from Smyrna Tenn. to Canton Miss. and will be late out for 2013. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
earned my stripes.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I tow with an '06 Tacoma. I had to put air bag helpers on the rear suspension, but I have noticed that the new Tacomas come with 3 rear leafs as opposed to the two that were stock on mine. The owners of the new Tacomas have said they tow well, with no bottoming. I wished I had known about this product -- Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs -- before I got the airbags. I've heard great things about it. Overall, I'm really happy with my Tacoma as a tow vehicle. I have 4WD, but I live in snow country.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #6

Bruce I have Roadmaster Active suspension on my 2007 Tundra Crew-Max. The truck does not squat with the trailer behind.
hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #7

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies so far.

Thank you Ben and Alf for listing the features that helped you select the trucks you chose.

I hope more readers will explain the reasons behind their own choice of mid-size tow vehicle. (Especially between Frontier and Tacoma)

Thanks,
Rich
Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I'm on my third Toyota pick-up, the latest being the '09 Tacoma 4Door TRD 4wd with towing package. It was never a Tacoma/Frontier decision as much as my confidence in Toyota. I had the service done to install the added leaf springs on the '09 and have had no problems with towing. All my trucks have been 4wd because I also use them on rough roads when hunting and fishing. I wouldn't have a truck w/o 4wd any more.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #9

I decided to go with the Frontier as well when I ordered our 5.0. I've been very happy with my decision. After some good feedback from this forum and other research I test drove the Frontier, was able to get a good price and that was it. It's a very solid truck and I've had no problems after over two years of towing. I also went with the 4wd and have used it a few times - glad I purchased that option.

Jerry
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
When I bought my 2010 Frontier the Toyota people were charging sticker price and no deals at all. The Nissan dealer offered $1000 more on my trade-in than blue book and 0.9% interest for 5 years. Interestingly; with discounts, cash back, incentives and the same trade in, the basic Titan and Tundra were both less than the Frontier. I went with the mid-size because I had been driving a Grand Caravan and never really wanted a truck until I decided to by the fiver. Also, I liked the mileage better. With the 750 pound weight on the hitch I am right at gross vehicle weight even though I am not even close to max tow wt. No problems with handling or power. I would like a little more space in the truck bed--although I would be overweight if I put any more in there.

Dick
Old 11-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #11

Smile tilting toward tacoma

After reading what people are saying on this thread so far, I am thinking that both vehicles are certainly competent. The Tacoma SR5 has a few more amenities for a little more money than the Frontier, whereas the Frontier has more power but slightly less fuel economy (only comparing V6-4WD-5spd auto). Although some reviewers report that the brakes feel mushy in the Tacoma, it has tested with the shortest breaking distance of midsized trucks. However, the Tacoma has also been reviewed as having less emergency manueverability than the Frontier. I am attracted to the bells and whistles on the more modern Tacoma dashboard and to the standard composite bedliner.

If you tow with the Tacoma:

1. How closely does the above description of Tacoma's handling match your experience?

2. Is the power plenty 'nough sufficient to tow the 5.0 over the Cascades? Have you ever felt that is was insufficient?

3. Do you always feel comfortable and secure with the ride and handling? -- even over long distances or in sudden emergencies?

If a few more kind folks respond over the next several days, I will go out and buy one or the other of these vehicles--maybe right after election day! Cast your vote now. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #12

Hi: aldertree2... I can't comment about specifics of a Taco as I never even considered one. What affected me was the fact that my brother had one. Took it to the dealer for a small repair and had his truck condemned right there on the hoist. The frame was rusted through so badly as to make it unsafe at any speed. He couldn't even take all his tools home with it!!!
Toyota gave him a lot of money for it...if he bought another Taco. Still cost him 5 grand + out of his pocket. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
Hind Quarters.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The only problem with that recollection is that I had a Nissan King Cab and it suffered acne. Blobs of body rust all over it. I got little for it in trade.
If I were buying, I would certainly investigate the Tacoma frame issue, but I wouldn't condemn the vehicle without recent evidence of problems.
Of course my Toyota RAV4 has no frame, being unibody.

baglo
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
All the big vehicle manufacturers had problems with rust at one time or another. There was a point (15 years ago? 20?) where they were using recycled steel in their manufacturing, but the recycling wasn't done correctly and they were getting little bits of rust in their new product, with such little bits acting as starting points for rust on the new vehicle.

There's also a fairly common problem regarding rusty vehicles where I grew up (west coast of Canada). Before you buy a used truck, you want to know if the previous owner ever towed a boat. Launching a boat off a trailer, you invariably get your vehicle wet. If it's the ocean, you get it wet with salt water. Guaranteed to rust out your vehicle early. So bad rust on one truck might or might not mean anything -- I'd want to see some statistics before I considered rust in a decision.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #15

Hi: dbailey... The rust was good old Ottawa/Orleans type of corrosion!!! Far from the ocean...but not far from the salt mines of Lake Huron. The fact that Toy. had a recall on frame rust and a very generous "trade in" for those trucks makes me suspect at best. No vehicle is immune so a good program of say Krown corrosion protection is still necessary in S. Wet Ontario. Alf
Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Having grown up and working on cars in Nova Scotia rust is a real problem that all car companys have had problems with. If you live in a high corrosion area the car must be protected with some sort of undercoating and have it maintained and still it won't last like it would in drier areas.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'm a bit suspicious of the after-market rust proofing. Limited experience, and I understand that the one data point doesn't make a trend. Driving our 1992 Corolla around Ottawa for 15 years, we observed that the first places to rust was around all the holes they drilled spraying into the interior panels. This was Rust Check, first applied when the car was 2 or 3 years old, and then reapplied every year until it started rusting anyways.

I've sort of concluded that vehicles will rust, not matter what you do with them. Obviously more so where there's salt in the air (coastal) or where it's used on the roads.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #18

Advice I received on rustproofing is that when asked by the sales person if you want this option, say no. Because what he is really asking you is, 'do you want to pay for rust proofing?' because the cars have had it done at the factory.
As for the tar-like substance that they used to use, and maybe still do, I was advised that it only works until chipped by a rock. Then the rust works it's magic out of sight, covered by the 'rust proofing'.

baglo
Old 11-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Years ago I had a new 1990 Jeep get Ziebart treatment, a clear spray inside doors and engine and black tar underneath. It was reapplied yearly for 5-6 years until Ziebart went out of business locally. My step son is still driving it, rust free after 22 years. Oh, I also had the paint protection service done and the car's paint is just starting to fade. It has been an outside vehicle.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #20

Was listening to CBC radio this morning. Twas mostly to do with U.S. election. One of the guests was a professor who described a phenomenon to do with what we believe. We have a strong inclination to accept evidence that backs up our beliefs and to discard evidence that does not.
So, don't expect any of the above to change your mind or anybody else.

baglo