Fuel efficient tow vehicle. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2015, 03:54 AM   #31

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Based on the above posts, it looks like the best mpg I can expect when pulling my 17b, is around 15-16 mpg, perhaps with a RAV 4 or Ford Ranger. When thinking about mpg, I'm curious if anyone would recommend any other tow vehicles I should consider, besides those mentioned above.

I might note I bought a new Prius last year, and would like to buy a used tow vehicle. Thanks.
I tow my 17 b with a highlander does a very good job and a pleasant car to drive when not towing

Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
A pickup truck with a light cap on the rear would create less drag with a conventional trailer, would it not?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A pickup truck with a light cap on the rear would create less drag with a conventional trailer, would it not?
I think it would help the aerodynamics a little, Jim. If the cap were tall enough in the back and sloped upwards to direct some air over the top of the trailer, that would probably be even better.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
I think the forum documents the reality of "two foot itis." Will your TV for the 17b manage the 19 or 21 you just have to have in 3-4 years?
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Maurerl: your post raises a different question: I assumed one would tow a trailer with an automatic transmission. Is a manual transmission a viable alternative? Thanks.
I'm towing an Escape 19 with a 6sp manual Tacoma with 4.0L and a towing package. Works fine for me.

I live in the mountains and have yet to see an automatic that knows what gear I want to be in.

The truck has 102k on it and will likely need a clutch at some point, it's been trouble free, so far. In my experience, heavy duty clutches are always available as a replacement and are always the last clutch I buy for a vehicle. I've never replaced 2.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #36

Trailer: None
When I was looking for a new tow vehicle, fuel efficency was far down my list of necessary attributes .Towing capacity ,payload ,braking , handling, ride ,comfort ETC were more important than fuel economy . I would rather loose a little gas mileage than being exhausted at the end of the day from white knuckle towing . I have often questioned the logic of buying a 35k + Escape 21 ft and then towing it with an inadequate vehicle just to gain 1 MPG. Gaining better fuel econom at the cost of safety is not a fair trade IMHO. I tow with a 1/2 ton fullsize pickup truck with a 5.7 liter V8 , +WDH and find it adequate for towing my trailer.
Everyone has a different comfort level , so what you value may differ
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Quote:
Maurerl: your post raises a different question: I assumed one would tow a trailer with an automatic transmission. Is a manual transmission a viable alternative? Thanks.
We have a 2013 Nissan Xterra. Had to threaten the dealer with going to Toyota for him to order a manual Xterra for us. They are rare, but we demanded a manual transmission. Have always had manuals and find them better than any automatic we've seen.

It works fine towing our 19. Don't know that it helps with mileage, we get between 13 and 15 mpg, most likely in the middle of this at 14. We generally travel between 55 and 60 mph and do see a difference in gas mileage between 55 and 60.

A manual has advantages. You know what gear you're in, if it's wrong it's your own fault. They shift when you ask, not before or after. Much better for getting out of a snow bank. I find them better off road. Prevent theft, it's getting to the point crooks don't know how to drive a manual. Etc.

So, yes a manual is a valid alternative, at least for us.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I wonder what the hit will be when you go to sell or trade a manual transmission vehicle. Sort of like a trailer without a bath.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I wonder what the hit will be when you go to sell or trade a manual transmission vehicle. Sort of like a trailer without a bath.
Ours will be a rare and valuable item. So many people will be searching for such an Xterra we'll be able to sell it for a mint.

No, really. We buy vehicles for the long term, 10-15 years. The resale value isn't a consideration for us.

You might be right though. It sure would limit the number of buyers. There will be a group looking specifically for a manual though. It'd likely be harder to find that buyer, so harder to sell or trade.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I bought a base Datsun pickup once. I even spurned the radio. Lost a lot of money on that one.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote