Fuel efficient tow vehicle. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is one thing I definitely appreciate with the F-350. We never filled up once in the 750 km (470 mi) to Osoyoos from home. Having done the trip a bunch of times with the Pilot, I know there are two stops on the way. So, about 2 1/2 times the range.
Try 36 gallons. Man its nice to be able to go 550 miles towing and more than 900 miles not towing. On our way to pick up our trailer back in March, the total distance from our house to the factory was 2273 miles. We filled up TWICE on the way.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just got my cc bill for my recent 7500+ trip across US and north to Osoyoos......$2500 which is not too bad, about $1750 of that is gas @ 14 mpg @ $3.25avg, rest is for food and camping and entertainment. I put everything on a promotional master card which has -0- payments and -0- interest for 18 months. Hopefully it will be paid off before next years rally. I find if you close an account, you start getting sweet promo deals.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just got my cc bill for my recent 7500+ trip across US and north to Osoyoos......$2500 which is not too bad, about $1750 of that is gas @ 14 mpg @ $3.25avg, rest is for food and camping and entertainment. I put everything on a promotional master card which has -0- payments and -0- interest for 18 months. Hopefully it will be paid off before next years rally. I find if you close an account, you start getting sweet promo deals.
Its all entertainment!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For many, budget and being environmentally friendly as possible, means a lot. There is no reason to recommend a pickup in favour of a more fuel efficient SUV, just so long as the capacity is there. I have never had an issue with comfort in my Pilot, it beats my F-350 for that, and in no way have I ever felt I was "white knuckle' driving, especially with the addition of the Andersen WDH.

I think it is unfair to use fearmongering with folks looking to buy and consider fuel efficiency, in order to justify ones own decision. I do like though, that some smaller pickups are beginning to show great improvements in fuel economy, making them much more viable alternatives. No need to use fuel hogging engines in our FG trailers any more.

So much also depends on the use of the vehicle aside from towing. Often, non-towing driving FAR exceeds that done while towing, and the vehicle has to work well for them for this use too, short of having a quiver full of vehicles to use.

For over 30 years I have driven a Ford pickup for work, with the exception of one Dodge Ram (the first to offer the Cummins deisel), but if I were choosing a pickup to tow a 5.0TA with, I would not hesitate for a moment to consider some of the great offerings from Toyota or Nissan as well.
Hmmm....I see PC "For many, budget and being environmentally friendly as possible, means a lot." AND accusation: "I think it is unfair to use fearmongering". Considerable evidence points to the fact that people towing 4000 lbs. + should have more than popular V-6 Crossovers, both for their ease of mind driving and for safety's sake for them and US! Perhaps "white knuckle" may have been a little exaggerated (however who has gone to Death Valley towing 4000 lbs. in a Crossover?) Fatigue from constant work managing engine rpm is a reality. What does Utah say about fatigued driving on highway signs? Don't do it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #65

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 5.0TA is the width of the 21' ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
This isn't true.

The width of my 5.0 Classic is only 72" at the front loft yet the back of the trailer is 78" (same as the 17' it's based on). The front of the Classic 5.0's are tapered in at the front loft area and the same applies to the 5.0 TA as the front part of the trailer is based on the original 5.0 but has been widened and heightened to match the proportions of the TA.
Regardless of the taper at the front (which is not apparent in the floor plan or photos), the width of the 5.0TA at the widest point is exactly that of the 21', because the mould was made from a 21'... just like the 5.0 "classic" is the same width as 17'. Frontal area is the area you see if you look at the trailer from the front (or rear - doesn't matter) in silhouette, so yes, it is true. Even if the trailer had a bullet nose, the width would be the same.

The shape does matter to drag. If you multiply the drag coefficient by the frontal area (and by the speed squared and some other factors), you get drag force. That's why I didn't say the drag would be the same, only that the width is the same... so with the same width as the 12-foot and taller height the 5.0TA's frontal area is greater (just as the 5.0 classic's frontal area is greater than a 17-foot's).

Guessing drag coefficient from a look at the shape isn't easy, and the tow vehicle complicates it substantially. Without a wind tunnel, and likely without someone willing to tow both models of trailer with exactly the same tow vehicle in a controlled set of coast-down tests, we'll probably never know how the drag really compares... but it's interesting to speculate.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #66

Trailer: 2016 17B
This website allows one to easily select a vehicle that meets your individual needs: Vehicle Recommender: Car Search by Features & Options
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think I'll stop now.
Some of the questions are quite goofy.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 8.56.55 PM.png  
Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #68

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
This website allows one to easily select a vehicle that meets your individual needs: Vehicle Recommender: Car Search by Features & Options
My experience was similar to Baglo's. I answered all the questions up to the first opportunity to get a recommendation with a description exactly matching my actual tow vehicle... and the result was that "The combination of criteria you selected are not available in a single vehicle." I broadened the price range (to account for U.S. versus Canadian pricing) and got back two minivans... but not mine, which is extremely common.

I suspect that - like most online towing-related online databases - it is missing many vehicles... likely the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, and Dodge/Chrysler Caravan, and that's just the minivans. Good try, but not useful to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #69

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I just recently came from the Philippines and I saw this mid-size chevy colorado that has already been available there for the past two years. The owner I talk to liked it a lot for the power and fuel efficiency.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC9519.jpg   _DSC9519-2.jpg   _DSC9519-3.jpg  
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote