Getting worried. The new 5TA is 1100 pounds heavier. Ok with Tacoma?? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 21'
I am a Toyota Fan and ordering my 5.0TA has caused a bit of stress with all the numbers. Even the Tundra has just a 1200-1500 lbs payload depending on configuration.

Having lived in Colorado, If it were me, I would want a bigger truck than a Tacoma for a 5.0TA and your packing habits. But that is just my opinion.

Maybe the 21 would be a better option? Just a thought.

For me, I am looking into the F150 Ecoboost with Max Payload options, or...

F250 simply because it would haul anything I want and I don't ever want to have to get a bigger tug for the bigger trailer my wife might want to upgrade to, she gets biggeritis very easily.

Don

Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I think everyone here, including myself, needs to go on a diet. Carrying full water and all your bikes and firewood and boats plus monster outdoor cooking stoves and the comforts of televisions, microwaves, inverters, seems like we are not "leaving home without it". Our gas consumption will always be increasing, I'd like to think it can go the other way!
I never heard of having to keep your fresh full and I'm sure one can always find water, it does not have to be potable. There are ways to make potable water once you arrive.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
For what it's worth, I drive the same vehicle, live in Colorado and made the opposite choice for all of the reasons listed. Between the composite bed, GVWR, and bed weight, the 5.0TA was too close to capacity for my taste. Parking a Tacoma in Boulder is adequately painful, a larger tow vehicle isn't a good option. I'm going with an Escape 19 as a conservative compromise.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Thank you Jim for making me laugh out loud this morning. I am packing and just decided to leave my yogurt maker at home.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
This has been discussed before, but the weak links for the 5.0 and 5.0TA are the pin weight and the cargo capacity of the truck. I pull a 5.0 with a Frontier V6 long bed crew cab. Plenty of towing capacity but the pin weight, a cargo box with some tools, and a couple of passengers put me close to the cargo capacity.

I suspect the 5.0TA's extra pin weight would put me over.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Tim,
How does it tow? even though you're close?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
This is my first trailer so I have nothing to compare it to. However, if gas mileage is any indicator of stress on the truck I get between 16 and 22 mpg without the trailer and between 15 and 20 when towing.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #28
Site Team

That is some good figures for towing, really good. About a 10% hit. My numbers change even less than that, I get 12 mpg, towing or not.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
No disrespect to anyone, but I personally think that everyone way overthinks this. I searched for years for a trailer and stayed confused about all of this. Then it was explained very simply to me. If your tow vehicle has a tow capacity less then the GVWR of the trailer, then you should not tow it. If your truck can pull 6000 pounds, then a 5500 GVWR leaves you room all the way around. If your TV has a Tow Capacity of 3500 pounds and you have a trailer GVWR of 5500 pounds (even if empty weight is 2500 pounds), you will get hurt. If you are loading your trailer to the max each time (in this case 5500 pound), you are asking for trouble. The numbers are to the safe side also. The truck can handle more as people will tend to push the limits. It is never a good idea to push the limits. I would never load my trailer to the 4400 GVWR I have on my 5.0. I am well below that, as I travel with the minimum amount of "stuff" in the trailer and truck. Equiped with a properly set up Trailer Brake system and keeping truck tow capacity larger than trailer GVWR, you will be just fine.

The tow/haul functions available on most TVs today is a god send and will save your engine and transmission too... use it. It changes the shift point of vehicle to higher RPMs. The TV transmission will not "hunt" for a acceptable gear as the engine will be allowed to be in a lower gear a little bit longer before shifting. Thus the engine and transmission do not work as hard, resulting in longer life.
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #30
Site Team

Towing capacity has really little to do with this issue. It is carrying capacity. I have a Dodge Ram that will tow up to 9000 lbs, but my carrying capacity is only 1350 lbs. These "1/2" ton trucks can not carry much over 1/2 ton. It is the tongue and pin weight we are putting in the bed to "carry" that is the issue, not the ability to pull the unit.