Getting worried. The new 5TA is 1100 pounds heavier. Ok with Tacoma?? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #51

Trailer: '09 Escape 17B
This won't increase you towing capacity, but it will help with the hills.

TRD - Superchargers

bledsoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #52

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Just curious why another tow vehicle with more capacity is not a option ? I have heard before from many others to buy the trailer that will check all the boxes and then get the tug that will do the job for you

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Towing vehicle threads are always a hot topic with lots of opinions and preferences. I read these with a smile. I choose to tow my 5.0 with a Dodge 2500 Cummins Quad Cab. No concerns with power, towing capacity, braking, passenger capacity, or load capacity. Getting 21mpg without and 19-20mpg towing with all my cast iron cookware. I sometimes forget the trailer is back there. Others may disagree with my overkill choice for towing but it sure makes towing enjoyable and effortless.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
Just curious why another tow vehicle with more capacity is not a option ? I have heard before from many others to buy the trailer that will check all the boxes and then get the tug that will do the job for you
I wouldn't speak for Alan; but most of us need to use the tow vehicle 52 weeks a year. Parking a Tacoma in Boulder or squeezing one up the nasty, narrow roads to some of our outstanding hiking trails is adequately painful. The Tacoma is already a compromise (to the larger side).
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #55

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I do apreciate that for many a vehicle has to be multi purpose but in some cases people just fail to see that another vehicle choice may be a better option. I have a another vehicle for daily driving because the yukon is not pleasant to park and is hard on fuel around town. Fortunatly I can park the Yukon @ parents condo out of the way, if I didn't have that option three vehicles in our drive way is a pain in the backside.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I am not suggesting my choice is for everyone. Heck...the tree huggers with their Subaru Outbacks in Boulder hated me for the big carbon footprint I projected. No one likes to be hated. But as Escape trailers get bigger and heavier + everything folks want to haul up the hill with them, maybe adequate towing torque and GVWR should take more importance. We are very comfortable driving, towing with, and parking our full size tow vehicle down here in "Biggerville". In my opinion ( and it's just that) your not saving a thing by owning a vehicle you expect to tow with that can't perform and meet your expectations when used for towing. It's simply your choice as I smile and read your postings.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #57

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I wouldn't speak for Alan...
Actually, Struski has hit the nail on the head. The new Tacoma will be doing triple duty as my daily drive to work, my weekend off-roading (jeep trails rated easy), and my tow next year. 3 vehicles would fill the 3 positions better but harsh reality dictates otherwise. It's that 4 letter word - compromise.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #58

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post

TRD - Superchargers
Quite true. And it will lighten my wallet by $4000 plus!

Tempting, but I better not. The extra speed might make me forget that I am on the edge with my GVWR. Better to be humble and slow...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #59

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post

TRD - Superchargers
Nice, but it also won't increase the ability of the engine or transmission to handle sustained high power use, making it easier to overload and damage either engine or transmission. Generally, mechanically driven superchargers are for short burst of high power; it is not by coincidence that their most popular application is in drag racing, and they are not used on heavy-duty equipment.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote